Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Stetson Factory Restoration Circa 1959...

TomS

One Too Many
Hi folks:

I took a gamble with this purchase recently. The seller mentioned an old hat. The pics were poor, and the details were sparse, but I had a *feeling* it was a sleeper. Thought you guys might enjoy a few photos.

This is the box for the hat. The shipping label indicates it shipped from the "Stetson Renovating Division" in Philadelphia, PA. On the box is a postage label in the amount of .34 that indicates the point of origin was Philadelphia, and the date of shipping was Sept 10, 1959.
IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

I opened the box with a great deal of anticipation...

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

When I lifted the hat from the box I found the disintegrating remains of shrink wrap. I've heard of this honey colored "glitter" being present in old hat boxes, but had never seen it first hand.
IMG_1549.jpg

This is the hat that I found tucked away inside. A Stetson Open Road in size 7 1/2 - Long Oval. The felt is beautiful, with no moth bites, soiling, or other signs of wear. The only issue is slight spot on the brim where the hat rested for decades on the insert of the cardboard box. The size tag, satin liner, and sweatband are absolutely mint. The hat looks unworn, and if it wasnt shipped from the Renovating Division I'd guess it was dead stock.
IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

I enjoyed seeing what is presumably a period restoration, shipping container, and label. I wish I knew when the hat was actualy manafactured. My guess is the sweat, size tag, and liner were probably replaced in 1959, and hat was not worn much after that.

I hope you guys found this worth a look!

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

mando

New in Town
Thanks so much Toms I just love these stories. What nostalgia & mystery. A package from back in time, a time capsule & thanks for the pics.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes, the honey-glitter shards of vintage plastic are a rare find. I wonder if that was a plastic liner that went between the hat and the cardboard, and idea still used today to prevent the cardboard from staining the felt. Hat looks awesome, nice score.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Tom, that is always a little suprise to opened a box. A treasure could be found sometimes.
You are the man who had found it, these Jackpot. Wonderful lid with a great story!

TomS

One Too Many
SWEET! Thanks Tom. See any stampings on the rough side of the sweatband?
Sometimes the replacement sweat has markings to signify it is not original....

No, Tom nothing marked on the rough side of the sweat. Also, no retailer markings on the smooth side of the sweat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats