Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Store Opening - Help please!!

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Hello!!
First of all I apologize if this is in the wrong spot! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m new although I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve been lurking for awhile.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m working on opening a vintage clothing store in my little town. I have covered location, rent & loans however I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m really at a loss as to how to go about accumulating the merchandise. Other than buying up thrift stores or going to every estate sale around!

Does anyone have any experience or genius ideas to help me out? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used to own a vintage shop in the mid 90's, and did exactly what you said: thrift shops, estate sales, garage sales. If you're just gonna do women's clothing, then you will have a relatively easy time. Men's is another story (just read some of the posts here at the Lounge!). I see that you are in CA, but here in NY, there were vintage wholesalers (that I think have since closed down), and I KNOW that all the dealers would get there at the crack of dawn and rummage through Hefty bags of stuff. I never did that!
See if there is a wholesaler in CA. There may be treasures to be found!
GOOD LUCK!!
flat-top

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Thanks Flat-Top! For the info & the quick response! I appreciate it!

I guess I was hoping there was an easier way but I'm always up for rooting through bags to find treasures! And I'll check for wholesalers :cheers1:

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Hi Lauren!
I'm in Hollister. It's on the central coast. About 50 minutes or so (I drive fast) from Monterey & San Jose! :)

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
I got a tip for ya, Don't constrain yourself to only vintage wear.

Now don't get all ruffled, this just makes business sense. Don't call your business vintage wear by so in so either. Something like suits and vintage wear by so in so, i think you gett he point.

Wearing vintage wear is something that I think people grow into. It takes confidence a sense of style, and it is a bold exdpression of self. Most people are not ready for that. You might think that you can't compete outside of your line, and that may be true, but don't limit your customers idea. It would be best to list vintage wear, alond with other items. Examples..

Optimo hats. You don't realise how old school they are until you look into it.
but the name si simple and leaves the would be customer open to inturpret for himself what it kind of product the store sells.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree! Many vintage stores in this area cary "vintage inspired" lines, be it repros or items with a vintage feel, like silk flowers for your hair, purses with rockabilly motifs, compacts with old movie posters, stickers, sunglasses, novelty hoisery etc. Many of the customers shopping at your store will probably be looking for a costume for a party, so having some inexpensive vintage looking items they can add to their look can help sales.

Wild Root

Gone Home
A tip from Root.

Well, this is nice to hear you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re going to take the plunge and try your hand at vending vintage wears! I have dealt with it from time to time with a few of my friends who were dealers. At that time the swing dance craze was at it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s zenith and vintage of the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s were sought after. Now, the winds have changed and most that want to buy ?¢‚Ǩ?ìvintage?¢‚Ǩ? want 1960?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 1970?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s vintage. So, I think it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a good idea to buy what ever you can find from the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to the 70?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. You?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll find it easy to find the later vintage that most of us here can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t stand the thought of wearing our selves but, there are plenty who want it. I work at an antique mall and I get people coming in asking if we carry vintage clothing. I have to ask what period they have in mind. 90% say they want 70?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s!

Yes, having many repro and vintage inspired goods is a good idea. There are fun things to be had that are made today that will fly off the shelves! Also, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d buy little vintage odds and ends to display in the store and to help the place have a nice vintage feel to it.

Most people I know that have a vintage store front also sale on ebay. They enjoy having the store front but also enjoy the income that an online store provides. Also, most that have had success in this line of vending have had a large stock of it to start with. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s going to be tough to accumulate the goods with in a short amount of time. It took me 9 years to collect the stuff I have in my closet! But, mind you I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a tall man who only wants 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s -50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s clothes.

Any way, shop till you drop and you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll find what you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re looking for! Buy what ever comes into you and you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll see it will sale. The 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s-40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s vintage is still marketable but, only to a select few. The 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s-60?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s is some what more marketable at the moment and the 70?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and even now the 80?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s junk is in demand!

All the best of luck in your new business venture!

WR.

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Oh thank you all so much! Great ideas & advice! You're definitely right about the vintage inspired & later vintage. I will definitely look into carrying them! I notice the teens around here call 80's vintage & I keep wanting to tell them No! I was in high school in the late 80's, those clothes aren't vintage, I'm not old... :D

I think I'll definitely do the online sales too. That seems to be the number one bit of advice! And it does make a lot of sense!

Thanks again for all your advice & support! I'm very excited about this!! :cheers1:

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
One other thing. I don't see this in Panama City, because there is no jazz club (if you can believe it); but, present some of your clothing for sale in local jazz clubs. They will often be glad to present the items for display, and even sell them on a commission basis. I used to know a club in Wilmington, NC called the Axis that sold iron sculptures of a particular local artist inside the club. They had about 5 pieces places around the club. But I have seen records, clothing, and even jewelry also sold inside clubs that were made by locals. Not many sales were generated, but traffic and name recognition was astounding. Everyone knew were to go for certain things. I imagine vintage clothing and accessories would be no different.

Specialty stores often don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t do well unless they can create their own product or offer an extremely unique line in a large metropolitan area. Style is also important. Your business has to stand out, not just for its product line but also as distinct from other clothing stores. Make it a novelty to even stop in your store. You may even consider making your store a multi store, like a period coffee house that also sell period wear.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
Jazz in PC

There is a Jazz Festival this weekend (Friday and Saturday) with a Big Band called Swing Set advertised to play at 1 PM on Saturday downtown near the Bayfront.
Dusty

Sin Khan said:
One other thing. I don't see this in Panama City, because there is no jazz club (if you can believe it); but, present some of your clothing for sale in local jazz clubs. They will often be glad to present the items for display, and even sell them on a commission basis. I used to know a club in Wilmington, NC called the Axis that sold iron sculptures of a particular local artist inside the club. They had about 5 pieces places around the club. But I have seen records, clothing, and even jewelry also sold inside clubs that were made by locals. Not many sales were generated, but traffic and name recognition was astounding. Everyone knew were to go for certain things. I imagine vintage clothing and accessories would be no different.

Specialty stores often don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t do well unless they can create their own product or offer an extremely unique line in a large metropolitan area. Style is also important. Your business has to stand out, not just for its product line but also as distinct from other clothing stores. Make it a novelty to even stop in your store. You may even consider making your store a multi store, like a period coffee house that also sell period wear.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
Thanks Dusty, I heard about that. I work on the weekends but i'll be there man. I still havent ordered a fedora though. Here in panama city, the jaz events are like the only thing that i can find around here, no jazz clubs, or stuff like that.

Almost makes me want to go on a rant.... Oh oh, here it comes....Yep too late to stop it now.

(Sin Khan goes on a rant)

What the heck ever happened to clubs like Rick's Cafe American. Todays clubs have the music so loud you can't even hear yourself think, they also have no place to sit down and play cards or whatever. You have to stand around against a damn wall. Today's clubs are crap. No style, no atmosphere, and heven forbid that you want to order some food at a table. Arghhhh!

What happened to the good old days when you could walk into any bar in town and you could sit down at any table and join in a hand of cards. Ive seen this with pool tables, you know just walking up and saying lets have a game. It's like these clubs make money hand over fist but do nothing for the crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW