Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage"-Style Tie Source

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello All,
I was looking for some vintage ties, and I am a bit hesitant of buying used ties that may be creased and faded. I found a source of new ties that have some very vintage-inspired patterns and I thought I would share it with those of you who are also looking:

https://www.neckties.com/search/?q=art+deco&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

I bought this one:

BTW, I am still trolling websites for some genuine vintage ties. ;)

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
1940's Swing Ties @ Retail Yes & No (Ebay)

Bellywarmers also has tie auctions on Ebay where you can get more for your money unless you see a tie you can't live without. I would recommend shopping around Ebay for price and emailing the seller prior to auction close if condition of ties is not stated to your satisfaction. Also note 1940's swing ties are SHORT in length, which is where the bellywarmers name comes from. Peter :beer:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the tip SC!
I am always looking for vintage or vintage-style stuff.
The only thing with the ties being short in the 30's and 40's, which of course they were; but so too were the waists higher, much higher in fact. Some of the Hollywood waists come to practically the chest level. So, my point is that a vintage short tie with a modern vintage-inspired suit with a low waist, may look a bit clownish on a tall fellow like me. Ergo, the vintage-inspired ties. One can never have enough types of ties in the closet.
Thanks again, Solid Citizen!
And JoJoBeans, that site is awesome! Thanks.

jojobeans

New in Town
You are welcome,Hemingway!

In my opinion, if you're a tall drink o' water, you're the cat who SHOULD be wearing high waisted trousers! Tommy Tune had the right idea...

Good luck~

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hem, how floppy are the ties you got from Neckties.com? One thing I've learned here at The FL is that the vintage ties are quite a bit floppier than modern ties. There is a little more information here on some other aspects of vintage ties, particularly the lining used in modern vs. vintage ties, and how to adapt a more modern tie to a vintage look. Might be usefull in your (and my) case, being a bit on the tall side.

I see your dilemma in tie length, though. If you want to go for a vintage look, but either don't have the high-waisted pants (or don't want to look quite that vintage, you either forego the tie or the short end is about two inches long! The ties you've found are a nice alternative for everyday wear.

I'm looking forward to your review of the ties you've gotten there, my friend!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The major fabric in 1940's swing ties was rayon coupled with ulta thin linings compared to 2005 silk ties gives that floppy look. In the 40's the ties were cut shorter to be worn above the belt compared to today worn to cover the belt.
Tommy Bahama has a Havana Club retro tie line that does a pretty good job at trying to duplicate the design feel of a 1940's ties, but their ties have a 2005 length & lining, plus a hefty price tag, but can be found cheaper on Ebay. Peter ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Hem, how floppy are the ties you got from Neckties.com? One thing I've learned here at The FL is that the vintage ties are quite a bit floppier than modern ties. There is a little more information here on some other aspects of vintage ties, particularly the lining used in modern vs. vintage ties, and how to adapt a more modern tie to a vintage look. Might be usefull in your (and my) case, being a bit on the tall side.

I see your dilemma in tie length, though. If you want to go for a vintage look, but either don't have the high-waisted pants (or don't want to look quite that vintage, you either forego the tie or the short end is about two inches long! The ties you've found are a nice alternative for everyday wear.

I'm looking forward to your review of the ties you've gotten there, my friend!
I will review them, once I get them. I had inteneded them to be, ask you so aptly stated, nice alternatives for everyday wear.

Consequently, I have since bought my first 1940's tie. It is quite floppy, and short.

Solid Citizen said:
The major fabric in 1940's swing ties was rayon coupled with ulta thin linings compared to 2005 silk ties gives that floppy look. In the 40's the ties were cut shorter to be worn above the belt compared to today worn to cover the belt.
Tommy Bahama has a Havana Club retro tie line that does a pretty good job at trying to duplicate the design feel of a 1940's ties, but their ties have a 2005 length & lining, plus a hefty price tag, but can be found cheaper on Ebay. Peter ;)
I've seen the Tommy Bahama ties at TJ Max. They are quite retro. The only problem is, they are all that Carribean theme and I prefer a more Art Deco print. Ironically, the one retro tie I have is very bright and floral!

Campus Five

New in Town
I got three Tommy Bahama ties at Nordstrom rack (i.e. they were pretty cheap) last year. They were pretty decent - they that had that kind of watermark looking pattern in the silk besides the overt design of the tie.

Honestly though, vintage ties are cheap and plentiful. I wouldn't bother wth a mediocre repro when you can get the real deal so easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24