Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage style while doing chemo ?

chicanoir

New in Town
cancer survivor here to say...

1. positive and healing energy your way...nothing keeps the spirit up like your fighting faith and courage...BUT remember that it's healthy to let out the emotions that will come rollercoastering in. crying is a wonderful thing!

2. turbans are rad and, ada, nigerian gele headscarves are UBER RAD and i think you should def try one of those on for some mega style, blondie. also, the 20s were all about pencil ass thin eyebrows so you're already a shoe in! :)

3. i tried to hold on to my hair as long as i could but it just made me feel worse (seeing all the hair sliding down my body in the shower and waking up to a pillow full of hair was just...ugh) so i had my mom buzz my hair THINKING (in my teenage naivete) that the hair was falling out evenly...it wasn't of course so i shaved my head and it was the best thing i did. i bought a super cute (short), real hair wig and it looked good (people who didn't know i was sick were complimenting me on my new hair cut) but it was freakin' HOT! it was summer in los angeles and just boiling so i took the plunge and went bald until fall came around and then i wore cloche hats. it was a really great feeling and i encourage my fellow fighters to try it a couple of times...it really changes your perspective on so many things. for my ten-year homage to being cancer-free i shaved my head for the same length of time that i was sick...it was extremely liberating to walk around bald as a CHOICE and as a reminder that YES i am still here and i have the ability to have hair or not.

4. big hugs, big love, stay strong, sister...you'll be beautiful and stylish whether you have hair or not because you'll want to be.

Idledame

Practically Family
When I went thru chemo, I bought a little portable dvd player and watched old black and white comedies during treatment. It made the time fly by and put me in a good mood. Wigs are hot, but it's good to have one for some occasions. But more and more you see women just going out bald with nice earrings. And when you do, you'll find that every where you go other women who have been through it will come up to you and give you encouraging words. It really helps dispell that "why me" feeling when you see just how many have been through the same thing and it's makes you feel more positive to see how many ended up cured. Oh, and Mexican chicken soup actually tastes good after a treatment unlike a lot of foods. Good luck. And before you know it this will all be just a memory and you'll find that it changes your whole outlook on life...for the better.

Blondie

Practically Family
Thank you chicanoir and idledame !!
I am now 1/2 way through my chemo, it is the hardest thing i have ever done,
but know i will come through the other side...
One of my friends has designed a dress and she is selling it on her website,
all the proceeds go towards my medical bills,
i hope this is ok to post this here :
if anyone is interested it is the Kitty Von Purr dress on this website.
www.berniedexter.com

chicanoir

New in Town
Blondie said:
Thank you chicanoir and idledame !!
I am now 1/2 way through my chemo, it is the hardest thing i have ever done,
but know i will come through the other side...
One of my friends has designed a dress and she is selling it on her website,
all the proceeds go towards my medical bills,
i hope this is ok to post this here :
if anyone is interested it is the Kitty Von Purr dress on this website.
www.berniedexter.com

oh yes, super cute dress...love the kitty touch! haha. HUGS.

Blondie

Practically Family
I am so excited ! Dita Von Teese tweeted on Twitter about my breast cancer and my dress ! How lovely is that ???? :eusa_clap

The Shirt

Practically Family
That is pretty lovely. I think though that the really great thing - is that they are recognizing someone so lovely. Blondie I really do wish you all the best. I hope you know there are plenty of us on here who think of you regularly and wish you the speediest of recoveries.

D

Deleted member 12480

hope everything is going well for you Blondie. xx

Blondie

Practically Family
Thanks !
I have finished chemo for the time being, next step surgery at the end of August, then daily radiation for 6 weeks.
The good news is my hair is starting to grow , it is 3/16 of an inch but i
have hair !!!:eusa_clap

wahine

Practically Family
I wish you all the best, too! That you may have strength and go through it well. A friend of mine just had the procedure last year and she's all well now (also her hair grew back as it was).

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Bebe.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24