Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage styles for short hair

pretty faythe

One Too Many
This is the only threadi found after searching, so i believe that this fits here after the merge. I am thinking about bobbing my hair, oiy this heat! But I dont want to go to short. If not a bob, does anyone have any suggestions? I've thought not to short cuz of the awful hair experiences of last year.
My avatar shows my hair length pretty acurately now.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Gloria Grahame
http://www.hollywoodpinup.com/pin-ups/_gloria2.html
Barbara Lang
http://www.hollywoodpinup.com/pin-ups/_blang.html
Liz Taylor
http://www.hollywoodpinup.com/fashion-1/_07liz.html
Corinne Calvet
http://www.hollywoodpinup.com/fashion-1/_04corinne.html

Some other 50s shorter do's as an alternative to the bob.
http://www.hairarchives.com/private/archive2/50s/50s.htm

I think you'd look great with a bob - if I remember correctly you have a hard time getting a whole lot of curl. I imagine with hot Vegas days even if you start with curl it would be gone be the end of the day. Grr. What about a betty bang with a bob that has more length in the front and is more stacked in the back?

olive bleu

One Too Many
I Love Alice White's hair.I love the picture below as it is what i currently have
'cept mine is a tad overgrown and hair guy is on vacation :(

alice_white_b.jpg

Spaugs

New in Town
pretty faythe said:
This is the only threadi found after searching, so i believe that this fits here after the merge. I am thinking about bobbing my hair, oiy this heat! But I dont want to go to short. If not a bob, does anyone have any suggestions? I've thought not to short cuz of the awful hair experiences of last year.
My avatar shows my hair length pretty acurately now.

um...you do realize that a bob is supposed to be short, right? What exactly are you looking for pretty faythe? I only ask because your hair doesn't seem too long to begin with. If you look for pictures of flappers you'll find examples of a bob. It seems to me that you'll only loose four maybe five inches to your hair length, but I don't know what your definition of "short" is.[huh]

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Bobs vary in length. The classic bob is very short, yes.

My hair was this.
hair.jpg

I need to charge my batteries and I will post the new cut.
It is pretty close to this one.
hairthatlindswants.jpg

example of bob lengths
short
paris_hilton_bob-haircut.jpg

med
2008-short-bob-haircut.jpg

pretty faythe

One Too Many
ok, here's my hair wet, with the cam phone. I still need to charge the batteries for my dig cam. I'm such a slacker. (my hair is wet becuz if I didnt take the pic now while thinkn about it, who knows when it would have crossed my mind again!! lol) But I will try and remember to take another one and post again!
cute.jpg

lizylou

Familiar Face
I love the 40's and 50's, and right now this is what my hair looks like. It seems to long on the sides, there aren't really any layers in them. How should I get my hair cut to achieve a variety of styles from these two eras? Sorry its a huge photo
DSC06915.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Lizylou, you could always gradually change your hairstyle by getting a few long layers at the bottom and see how you like it and if it makes your cut more versatile. If you don't like it, it's not a huge sacrifice to have a few layers cut off and wait for your hair to grow down to that last length again. That's sort of what I have now, except I also got my sides graduated.

lizylou

Familiar Face
Lillemor, I have so much hair that when I do go to short, I start to look like Im going for the Tina Turner look. Thats happend before, when I was 13, Im now 25, and the names I got fromt that, well I don't ever want to go back. ;) I love your hair because it looks so delicate and flowy! I think maybe I could ask for my hair to be thinned out? Would that work? Or would I have a major puff come through when it grows back? Sorry for all the questions :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
lizylou said:
Lillemor, I have so much hair that when I do go to short, I start to look like Im going for the Tina Turner look. Thats happend before, when I was 13, Im now 25, and the names I got fromt that, well I don't ever want to go back. ;) I love your hair because it looks so delicate and flowy! I think maybe I could ask for my hair to be thinned out? Would that work? Or would I have a major puff come through when it grows back? Sorry for all the questions :)

Haha! I wish my hair was the way you think it looks!:) My hair is thick, coarse and grows in an upward pattern too if it's too short, it's sadly also relatively sparse; typical Mongolid hair. If I go too short I look like I've been electrocuted! My layers haven't been thinned but I'm grateful for the layering and graduated sides on hot and humid days like today.

Your ends need to be tapered off a certain way if you want vintage styles to hold and look authentic. There's a link to diagrams and description on why this type of tapering is necessary, some where on this forum...

My hair plans are very unvintage. I want long hair again so I can bun, braid, and twist my hair in any style I please. I'll still keep the graduation and layers to help define loose, glamour styles for special occasions.

Faye Emerson and Evita had some timeless, longer hairstyles.

lizylou

Familiar Face
lol Im in hysterics, I have funny patterned hair as well. I was told by a hairdresser that I had French Greek Hair, I don't know my bloodline, but i'll take it. I have these crimpy stray hairs that grow here and there. Mostly on the back top of my hair Then I have thick straight hair and thin hair. Its a combo meal!LOL

Lillemor

One Too Many
Poker straight hair from behind:

Bland wash/go hair:

The structure and sparsity makes it difficult to style:

I'm sorry I couldn't find clear pictures of my hair without my boys in them. It doesn't bother me but I'm sorry if I've broken some forum rule I've forgot about:eek:

But I can't bring myself to do what I know would make my hair more manageable = bleach/perm.

My hair isn't really brown or dry but I made sure there was a bright light shining in from the side to clearly show the cut and layers:

Lillemor

One Too Many
lizylou said:
lol Im in hysterics, I have funny patterned hair as well. I was told by a hairdresser that I had French Greek Hair, I don't know my bloodline, but i'll take it. I have these crimpy stray hairs that grow here and there. Mostly on the back top of my hair Then I have thick straight hair and thin hair. Its a combo meal!LOL

You make it sound really cool thoughlol

lizylou

Familiar Face
DSC04098.jpg

this is when I tried going for the Monroe cut, I have 2 boys also, so I didn't always have the chance to curl it.
DSC03646.jpg

Lillemor here's the back, I think it was growing out from the cut above

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: lizylou what lipstick are you wearing here? It looks lovely.
lizylou said:
I think your hair is the right length for 50s hair, but I'm not sure since I haven't had that length yet (maybe someone else here knows?). You'll always have to curl it though (except for if you go super short late 50s Jean Seberg, Audrey Hepburn). Grow it to your shoulders and past them in the back for a versatile 40s middy. Oh, and keeping growing those bangs! They're fun to play with when they're past your nose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner