Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage styles for short hair

Goldfish

A-List Customer
To be able to recreate the vintage look I want to cut my hair

from this (ME!)
->
2z5r5tk.jpg

to (NOT ME!)

6h7w9x.jpg

because my hair gets strange when it´s long as you can see in the pic!

What do you think, good idea?

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
hair help

Ok im new here but i hope some one can help me,im looking for a new style/cut. and im just not sure what to do, im trying to let it grow out but would be willing to take a little length off if it was worth it, im not so good at pincurls (but trying to get better) and im not even sure how they would look on me, i have done them for school on dolls but that's all. i have never used hot sticks but my hair will hold a lot of curl and is thick.
in the picture all i did was turn my head upside down to dry it and spiral curl it.
any ideas?

th_pic2.jpg

Hillocks

New in Town
Goldfish: I love the short haircut!
Most of the time from long to short is a big step. And sometimes it's not as pretty as you hoped.(own experience)
But If you really like the style just go for it! It's nice to change once in a while

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I was bored last week... so in the shampoo bowl I decided I wanted a bob, so they gave me an old school vidal sassoon bob, not quite louise brooks, but cute just the same. I'll grow it out again!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I had my hair cut like this a few years ago. I was able to do a wet set twice and it looked fabulous. After that it kept getting frizzy. If I ever master the wet set I may get this cut again.

norma_shearer___leading_lady_of_metro_goldwyn_mayer.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Short hair help!

Ok, so I need some help with my hair. I've previously had good luck getting a vintage style by putting the front/sides up with combs (like in my avatar), or into reverse rolls, and the occasional hairnet in the back, and use of a curling iron.

However... I've recently had my hair cut into a short angled bob with bangs. The sides are the longest, and they're only about chin-length. The nape is tapered very close, not long enough to curl back there except nearer the crown. Here's a recent photo:
2qkp98g.jpg

I need to do something 1940s with it for this weekend, and I'm running into a wall. The sides appear to be too layered for me to pull them up into rolls. I might be able to use combs, but what should I do with the rest? Try to curl it? Do you think it might be possible to curl it to resemble something vaguely along these lines:
myrna.JPG

Other helpful information: I am horrid at pincurls, and I have a cool floral clip I want to use.

Seriously, ANY suggestions would be helpful!

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
You would be able to pretty much pull off Myrna's picture if you set a wave in the front and use either perm rods or sponge rolls for the rest of the head, since these both come in various sizes. You might just want to set your hair nicely in the front in combs or a wave and buy some fake hair clip-in extensions to be attached in the back of your head and place your new found length in a snood that way with the clip-ins it will fill up the snood and give you another option.

freebird

Practically Family
Sorry for the intrusion, Ladies. I didn't read through the entire thread, so if this one has been mentioned, please forgive me. Fingerwaves are an option, as well as pin curls. How do I know? I spent 2 years in Beauty college doing pincurls and fingerwaves on mannequin's. Also manicures and pedicures, but that's a whole differant subject. :eek:

texasgirl

One Too Many
Fortworthgal, I just got a little 3/8" curling iron at Sally's. I practiced a little this weekend and it works really good for the short hair. But I'm not as familiar with the 40s as I am with 20s and 30s. So I'm not sure what style to suggest. The photo you posted looks good, maybe use med size hot rollers on the top to form a wave and then the curling iron on the smaller hair. Or foam rollers would be good for a wet set, and would stay in longer in the heat.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the suggestions, Texasgirl. If you can believe it, I've never used hot rollers! But, I am a master with the curling iron. I have a larger one (about 1" or 3/4" maybe) and then a teeny tiny one, maybe 1/2" or even 1/4" - it is about the size of a pencil! It works really well when I want tighter curls, and on the shorter areas. I have a terrible time with pincurls or any type of rollers or curlers, not sure why, I just can never get them to work properly! Now fingerwaves I seem to manage okay with... Figure that one out. lol The other bonus is that my hair is extremely thick and coarse, so it holds a curl extremely well.

I was actually looking in the other "show us your hairdo" thread, and found a girl with a very similar cut who had done some rolls, and they turned out super cute: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=268496&postcount=139

I think I may attempt that this evening. I'm also stealing that picture of Norma Shearer that deadpandiva posted. I may try to copy that. I think I will try one style doing the rolls I found in the other thread, and then another one doing a larger iron or a wave up top, and smaller curls over the rest of my head.

There will be hair experimentation going on at my house this evening, and pictures will be posted. lol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay, so I tried rolls and just curling the sides/bottom layers.

First, the rolls. They worked okay, I didn't curl the sides or the bottom, so I think it could look nicer if I put more effort into it. I have a very round face, so I really like the volume this gives me:
ced3a484.jpg

This is with the bottom & sides curled. I think I would go with more curls around the bottom next time:
eeba70e9.jpg

Opinions, suggestions?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I like the top one with the rolls! I agree about the volume. Just do a lot of curls at the bottom and I think it will be great!

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
I agree with Texasgirl--the rolls came out so cute! I love the bottom picture too, but I think it gives more of a 30's look to your style.

We have almost the exact same haircut (short bob with bangs and a heavily layered back), so you've inspired me! My curling iron proficiency is lacking, but I think I'm getting a wave iron this weekend.

Keep practicing, FtWG, it's looking adorable :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks ladies! I think I will go with the rolls for this weekend, and curl the bottom. The other advantage to the rolls is that they keep hair off my forehead in the heat!

Mrswheats - I love this haircut, but it does make vintage styles a bit difficult. How short is yours in the back? Mine is really close at the nape, so there's no way I could curl it or really even use a wave iron, except maybe on the very top layers, which are pretty long. Fortunately my front layers are long enough to roll, and I can just work my bangs into them. I think you'll be able to do a vintage style, it just takes some work!

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Your style is exactly how short mine is in the back--my stylist stacked the layers and the bottom is very tapered.
I LOVE it for everyday (it's the lowest maintenance hair I've ever had that still has a "styled" look to it), but it is pretty limiting.

I wore it in a super wide headband yesterday (my cheater "half hats") with a shirtdress, and got lots of "you look so 50's" comments. Which is what I wanted, so yay!

Practice makes perfect, though, and I can't wait to see what you come up with for your final look!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Mrswheats - I feel the same way! I LOVE this haircut, but it just doesn't work much for vintage - at least not for 1940s anyway, which is mostly all I do!

I'm going to try to practice the rolls and curling again this evening, so hopefully I'll have another picture to share. Sorry I'm being such a dork about this, but it is a pet peeve of mine to see someone at an event wearing a 40s uniform or a nice civilian outfit, with no attempts to recreate vintage hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner