Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage styles for short hair

pretty faythe

One Too Many
When my daughter used to complain all the time that she wished she had blonde hair, I let her know with her coloring blonde really wasn't something that would work for her. Plus she was only 10 lol Then one day we saw a lady with similar skin coloring as her and what was likely used to be similair hair coloring with a really bad blonde dye job, very very brassy and I let her know that was likely her out come. I satisfied her desire to be blonde with a few light highlights. Now, I just need her to get happy with her natural curly hair.

So my first very unprofessional questions would be 1] have you ever been blonde, 2] what kind of coloring do you have 3] what color blonde are you considering, ie is it compimentive to you?

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie, you look too cute! It helps you are so adorable to start with :D

Eleanor Faythe asks some good questions. Also, is your hair naturally that dark or have you dyed it dark? If you have dyed it, stripping your hair to go blonde would be very, very damaging.

Also, don't even think about trying to go blonde at home. Do it professionally, they can get a color that would suit you. So, be aware, blonde requires constant touch ups of your roots. That means having to pay to go to the salon every 6-8 weeks. Being blonde can be expensive :p

A very light brown/dark blonde may suit you better and be less damaging to your hair.

When I was a punk, I kept my hair blonde so that the un-natural colors I dyed it would show up better. You know, pink, green, blue, etc. Boy, did it wreck my hair! Of course, I was really hard on it knowing that I would just buzz my mohawk off one day. There were probably nicer ways to achieve the same results, I just didn't know them :)

Just my input :)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
When I was a punk, I kept my hair blonde so that the un-natural colors I dyed it would show up better. You know, pink, green, blue, etc. Boy, did it wreck my hair! Of course, I was really hard on it knowing that I would just buzz my mohawk off one day. There were probably nicer ways to achieve the same results, I just didn't know them :)

Ohh, the punk phase...
For some reason my hair was pretty hardy through my hair color adventures, but I shaved my head twice too.

I've always just allowed my black dye to grow out. It takes a while, but it fades over time. Good luck!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Thora Zine said:
I need to take pics, but today I got a whopping 5 inches taken off all the way 'round. I had her cut it in a Modified Middy, leaving the top in sectioned layers but about an inch longer than the standard ratio. It's "holy cow!" short falling just at my shoulders curled, which is shorter than I've had it in 20 years, but it's already so much more manageable.

Have to insert a great big "Thanks!" to everyone here who's posted cosmetology guides and scans. It would have been a disaster without them! Luckily I found a girl who was adventurous and interested in doing something new (like an old do) and she tackled it without fear. She even put me in rollers and left me under the dryer, probably not a novelty in the States but it was something that I don't think that salon had ever seen! I'll be going to her from now on. It's such a relief to find someone who wants to do more than a standard Brit style razor cut.

This happened in Galway? WHERE?! :eek:

missbeki

New in Town
short retro hair

Okay so im wondering if you people can help me.
i have shortish hair, little bit longer than twiggy's hair.
I want it to have curls but its too short for pin curls and i dont "get" finger waves. any ideas/advice.[huh]

thanks

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I hate to say it, but with hair that short, I'm not sure anything but fingerwaves would work. There's just not enough length!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge! We have tons of threads here already about hair, have you looked through any of them?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15856

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=19932

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4254

The FL is a great resource. I recommend using the search function (and also check out the thread about using Google to search the FL!) and adding to a thread when you find something helpful, that way everything stays together and other girls can read your question with all the others!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I haven't had short hair in awhile now, and I haven't had a vintage style haircut ever, and I'm not really sure what would look good on me, or what to tell the stylist.

My thoughts are 1) I like bangs, but I can't wear them, and 2) Same for pixie cuts. Aside from that, I'm pretty open.

Any and all suggestions really really welcome. Here's a right-now shot I hope turns into a Before.

me3ur1.jpg

-Viola

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I have to agree the punk phase can be damaging to hair. In high school I had red, blue and blond in the front and then when I went to college and finally let my hair alone I noticed it was thinner (not good)
I'd love to go lighter but my hair just won't tolerate it.

<BR>
Viola with straight hair you can do most anything, 20s bobs are always cute and if you don't like the upkeep of shorter bangs you can try longer sideswept ones.

anabolina

A-List Customer
ssubialdea said:
I have to agree the punk phase can be damaging to hair. In high school I had red, blue and blond in the front and then when I went to college and finally let my hair alone I noticed it was thinner (not good)
I'd love to go lighter but my hair just won't tolerate it.

<BR>
Viola with straight hair you can do most anything, 20s bobs are always cute and if you don't like the upkeep of shorter bangs you can try longer sideswept ones.

Wow, I've never heard of that happening. But I really like your natural hair color. It looks great on you ssubialdea.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
thanks Ana, its summertime so its getting a little lighter from the sun so I may as well leave it alone. :)

I think the hair thinning could have been attributed to my moving out / first year of college stress too. But the hair coloring definitely didn't help.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Rainbow said:
Goldleaf, I love your haircuts.....

Awwww, Rainbow, thanks so much! You are too kind!

I recently begged my hairdresser to cut off my hair into a pixie again, but she talked me out of it. I have worked so hard to gain my length. I was struggling with the natural curl in the back of my hair and the unruly flippy thing it wanted to do. So she shortened the top and back quite a bit and texturized it. This style works with my curl, but still looks long. I don't fight with it, and it takes very little time in the morning, which is key with how tired I have been and will continue to be with the baby.

We had been trying to create a cut that would work very well with rollers, but really, I am terrible at rollers and won't do them much with the baby. And, the just didn't work with my hair without being curled. This is much better.

Well done, skilled hairdresser, well done. I just adore my hairdresser. And I know that I am stylish because she had gone to a hair show the week before and I got a fresh cut, straight from the show. Yay me!

leaette

A-List Customer
i just got a really good book off ebay. from 1964. here are some pics. great for you shorter haired gals. the pictures are really lite in the book so the pics aren't much darker.

pam010.jpg

pam008.jpg

pam011.jpg

this next pic, the one with the daisies in her hair. i'm thinking i will do that for my sister's wedding in Oct. i've never seen this style before so i'm going to try it out first.
pam012.jpg

pam013.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I wore my hair short for years before I grew it out over the past year or so. I've done the Louise Brooks but one of my favorite cuts was when I took these pictures of Anita Loos into my stylist. She did a lot of razor cutting, it looked great. It was one of those styles that was so vintage it looked modern, if you know what I mean. I'll try to dig up some photos of me with this cut, if there are any.

m197701891828.jpg

Loos2.jpg

The copy of this picture that I had was not as dark as this one.

Ellie Jane

New in Town
My hair is really thick with a bit of a kink. I had been growing it out and got it halfway down my back, but when I curled it I just ended up with a bit triangle head. Anyone remember Crystal Tipps? :eek: So I cut it myself (I know, I know) to just below my shoulders and I thinned out the bottom 3 inches or so to stop it being so heavy. Now it holds a curl so much better, and I end up with the Gretchen Moll thing (on a good day). Short hair is so much easier to curl.

olive bleu

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
I wore my hair short for years before I grew it out over the past year or so. I've done the Louise Brooks but one of my favorite cuts was when I took these pictures of Anita Loos into my stylist. She did a lot of razor cutting, it looked great. It was one of those styles that was so vintage it looked modern, if you know what I mean. I'll try to dig up some photos of me with this cut, if there are any.

m197701891828.jpg

Loos2.jpg

The copy of this picture that I had was not as dark as this one.

I had a style very similar,too.Then i went even shorter:eek:

I love the freedom of not really having to do too much to my hair.it becomes all about the outfit and the makeup.

...and the shoes;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass