Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage styles for short hair

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge Thora! :)
Another suggestion for finding a place to have your hair styled is to ask around. A place I go to, doesn't exactly cater to the 'older' ladies, but I swear their the best place to go-it is the only place I've been to that when I leave, I'm absolutely happy with the results-they're perfectionists and won't have you leaving until you look fabulous. So, keep an eye out for ladies you have great styles and ask where they go to, like it's been said before, it's not insulting to be asked this, it's a great compliment, and any lady would be more than happy to pass along a great place idea.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
How would you explain to a resistant stylist the exact cut that you would want?

If they're resistant I'd probably look elsewhere! We are not taught the same ways to cut hair as the "olden days".. however, a stylist should be able to look at a photo and your hair and know what's up.

On another note, sometimes the texture difference in your hair vs. the picture and such does of course make a difference in how the outcome is. So the sylist needs to tell you what to realistically expect. Such as a person with fine hair wanting a very full do... may be possible, but that client needs to know just how much work it would be to get it that way. Some people aren't ready for the maintenence and then are disapointed with the cut if it takes too much time, etc.

And I agree with Mysterygal, don't be afraid to ask someone where they got their hair done. This is how I've gotten most of my business! Our salon doesn't get walk-ins, as we are off the well beaten path. So I'm always getting clients coming in saying 'so and so' sent me! It's very rewarding, and my clients who gave the referal just love getting the compliments.

Nikki

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
So, I managed to download some of the pictures from thehairstyler.com. It's an interesting site. It was the easiest way to try different hair colors and short cuts before officially going under the scissors.

Here's the picture I used:

2003375395713053623_rs.jpg

And here is the most vintage cut that I was thinking of doing:

2003326606417174195_rs.jpg

And here is their "Gretchen Mol" style. I kinda like it! Except I would still be a brunette.

2003319890989309445_rs.jpg

Well, I don't know about bringing these photos in to my stylist. She'd prolly break down in laughter. I know I did. But I'm glad I did it because it gave me some insights into how long it would take to manage that hair cut. Also, it gave me a bit of info as what type of hair (thick, thin, etc.) they cut would work best on.

I'm going in May 4th, so wish me luck. I'd love to see eveyrone else's new spring haircuts!

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Miss Dot .. I love the 1st picture! It's a really flattering colour and style, quite a leap in terms of length, are you all psyched up for it?

I'm really wanting to lose about 6" but I'm a bit of a chicken :0

By the way, your lip line is gorgeous .. is that your natural shape?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I must admit I'm a tad nervous--I've had at least shoulder length hair for awhile.

BTW, I'm very sorry to hear about your stylist blues. I think going to a salon that caters to older women is a brilliant idea. The lady I go to is known for doing vintage styles, so I'm sure she's capable to teaching me how to style shorter hair.

I look forward to seeing your new hair cut!

Oh and yeah, I think those are pretty much my lips. I just slapped on some lipstick before the photo, so close enough I guess!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Thora Zine said:
Miss Dot .. I love the 1st picture! It's a really flattering colour and style, quite a leap in terms of length, are you all psyched up for it?

I'm really wanting to lose about 6" but I'm a bit of a chicken :0

By the way, your lip line is gorgeous .. is that your natural shape?

I agree witht the lip compiment. They are very Angeline Jolie!!

I love the first one on you too.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Thanks for the Welcomes!

So I took some advice and did start asking people where they got their hair done, while I didn't discover any place altogether new, I did make a few new friends which was wonderful considering I'm still a bit of a foreigner :)

I did find a place out of town that might be worth investigating .. Will post photos when I have some. Thanks for the feedback!

Lou-Lou

New in Town
Personally I'm most comfortable with the length as it is in my avatar (mid-short maybe..?). I was unfortunately born with VERY straight hair, but with this hair-cut I only need to curl it twice a week (which by now only takes 10 minutes!).
As I'm never wearing my hair straight, the actual hair-cut is not that important, as long it is U-shaped. Actually a dear friend of mine cuts it for a pack of Lucky Strikes! The most important thing, as I see it, is to keep the bang trimmed - or else it will easily be to "heavy" for curling...

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Well, I am off to get my hair trimmed/evened out. This is one thing I am utterly afraid of doing since my lengths are so ODD!! I'm afraid that I wont be able to do rolls any longer. Sigh. But it needs done, none the less.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Dottie I absolutely adore the top picture and I think you should go for it! Wish I could do it for ya! ;)
And yes.. you DO have great lips!!

Lou Lou your you look fantastic! You gals are making me think of going shorter as well!

Faythe, let us know how it turns out!!

Nikki

pretty faythe

One Too Many
grr

I had a feeling that my hair was going to be much shorter than expected. Darn odd ends and lengths. Wound up leaving the back about the same length that it was but still cu bunches off to even it up, it was worse than I thought. So this is what it looks like, unstyled. Been playing with wave clamps, but the ends are kinda frizzy.
Photo0051.jpg

I had died my hair previously to cutting it, strawberry blonde, I liked it better longer, I dont think I like the color on short hair. Grr again. For some reason this hair cut is just setting my back to feeling more masculine. Any suggestions for feminineing (sp) and vintageing it up. Any era. I was thinking I might be able to somehow do something 50ish, like Princess on Father Knows Best. But trying to google a pic on Elinor Donahue I just get front on photos so its not much of a help.
Thanks!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
pretty faythe said:
I had a feeling that my hair was going to be much shorter than expected. Darn odd ends and lengths. Wound up leaving the back about the same length that it was but still cu bunches off to even it up, it was worse than I thought. So this is what it looks like, unstyled. Been playing with wave clamps, but the ends are kinda frizzy.
Photo0051.jpg

I had died my hair previously to cutting it, strawberry blonde, I liked it better longer, I dont think I like the color on short hair. Grr again. For some reason this hair cut is just setting my back to feeling more masculine. Any suggestions for feminineing (sp) and vintageing it up. Any era. I was thinking I might be able to somehow do something 50ish, like Princess on Father Knows Best. But trying to google a pic on Elinor Donahue I just get front on photos so its not much of a help.
Thanks!

I think you are on the right track with looking for more of a '50s do. My hair is extremely short (actually shorter than yours, so you should feel better!:D )
even though I love my short hair, I do worry about it looking masculine sometimes. My suggestion for you is don't even try to do anything with the back. Leave it straight, coax it under ala' pageboy style if you can, with a small round brush. Concentrate on the top and sides, which are still long enough to curl. Try a wave clamp on the top (or several, one behind the other), straight across (horizontal) ,this is what I do, you will get a nice wave and a softer look on top. For the sides, since my hair is super short I do "spit curls" around by face. You can just pin curl (or roller curl - towards your face, this will give the side waves).

Not too much curl - since the back is straight, but just enough to take the edge off and give a softer, fluffy feminine look. Good Luck!:)

Oh, and another advantage, my hair stays wavy much longer than when it was longer. I can actually wake up in the morning, and my hair looks decent before I even set a comb to it!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Hehe, I got mine cut this weekend too...lol It needed to be evened up quite a bit from my last little escapade, and it looks much better. It's about chin-length and slightly stacked in the back (not super short though). After I get the dress I won last night from the Bay, I'll post some pics :)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Faythe,

That is what my hair looked like last summer while I was growing it out. I was able to do a pageboy type style, where I curled the ends under and kept the top sleek. I clipped one side back with a decorative barette. I got the idea from my Sears everyday fashions from the 40's and 50's book. I will find the books when I get home and just take a picture of a couple styles that would work. I use that book all the time for acurate, simple styles. It's great!

I know how you feel, we are very much in the same boat. That happned to me a year ago, too. I have made much progress with the length, not so much with my ability to syle it. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou