Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage styles for short hair

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Well, I'm going under the scissors today, so send me all of your best hair karma and hope I don't chicken out and only ask for a neat trim....

I really want bangs tho'.... But just not sure if they'll work with my curly frizz-prone hair. Anyone else have curly hair and bangs?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dottie said:
Well, I'm going under the scissors today, so send me all of your best hair karma and hope I don't chicken out and only ask for a neat trim....

I really want bangs tho'.... But just not sure if they'll work with my curly frizz-prone hair. Anyone else have curly hair and bangs?
the trick is to make it look like it all blends together.
Example; what I like to do with bangs when my hair is curled is to take a blow dryer and a brush and give the bangs a little bit of curl at the ends-this way you don't end up with the big contrast of straight bangs along with having curly hair.
Good luck with the hair cut!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Welllllllll??? How'd it go Dottie?? I hope you like it! Curl and bangs, you can do it.. pretty much anything is possible if you're willing to work with it.

Faythe, haw you doin with yours? Looked cute in your last pic!

Nikki

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Cut happened. And I went for it. Short layered bob with bangs. My stylist flat ironed it, so it was really weird and different for me.

I went to see Elvis Costello that night and ended up walking six blocks to my car in the rain, which curled my hair right up. It will take a bit of getting used to but my husband likes it. I *think* I like it.

I'll post photos when I get my hands on a camera.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like you're in a bit of hair shock Dottie, I'm sure you'll like it when you've had time to fix it yourself a few times! Can't wait to see!
Nikki

Aorta

Familiar Face
Hi gals,

I am not sure if this hairstyle can be defined as really short and which era it belongs to (?), but I absolutely love it. I am growing out my sort-of-twenties bob (it looks like this) and I would like to achieve the first look (okay, I guess, I will have to wait two or three months until my hair is long enough to curl it... I am sooo glad it grows fast). My hair is very straight and fine, but healthy since I only dye it with henna and indigo.
To make a long story short: I would appreciate your advice. I am quite clumsy when it comes to hairdressing, but I am willing to practise :) . Which kind of curlers would work best for me to get that look? And how do I roll them? Any further tips concerning setting lotion (should be available in Germany)?

Thanks in advance,
Aorta

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hello Aorta and welcome! Aren't you a doll!

That hairstyle is adorable, and you're right.. you don't have far to go. Be sure to check out the Classic Style, how to get the look thread, along with the Show us your hair do's thread. You will get GREAT adivice from everyone. (A LOT of reading, but much to learn!) In the end it will be trial and error, and what works best with your hair type and schedule. If it were me, I'd sleep on pillow curlers and brush it into soft waves in the morning! Best wishes!
Nikki

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Finally a picture

OK ladies,

I really do like my new haircut, I just don't have a lot of pictures of it. My hairstylist gave me a great cut that can be done modern as well as vintage, I just haven't gotten around to doing the vintage curls on it yet, but I will!

And the only photo I have is one that was taken during my dance troupe performance. The group is called the Devil-Ettes and it's so much fun! What great gals! (The Devil-Ettes are a PG dance troupe dedicated to bringing back sixties dances and music, like the swim, the monkey, etc. It's so much glittery fun!)

2003757186460134763_rs.jpg

I'm the one with the glasses. It's not the best shot, but you can see the bangs. I flipped the ends up which looked really cute.

I'll try to do my hair Thursday and curl it for an event I'm going to attend Thursday evening. We'll see!

Esther May

New in Town
Cute hair Miss Dottie! I was a bit hesitant to cut my hair as well a couple of weeks ago because I had such an attachment with it. But hair grows and short hair is way easier to recreate vintage hairstyles especially if you have thick/coarse hair like mine.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
I need to take pics, but today I got a whopping 5 inches taken off all the way 'round. I had her cut it in a Modified Middy, leaving the top in sectioned layers but about an inch longer than the standard ratio. It's "holy cow!" short falling just at my shoulders curled, which is shorter than I've had it in 20 years, but it's already so much more manageable.

Have to insert a great big "Thanks!" to everyone here who's posted cosmetology guides and scans. It would have been a disaster without them! Luckily I found a girl who was adventurous and interested in doing something new (like an old do) and she tackled it without fear. She even put me in rollers and left me under the dryer, probably not a novelty in the States but it was something that I don't think that salon had ever seen! I'll be going to her from now on. It's such a relief to find someone who wants to do more than a standard Brit style razor cut.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Dottie the cut looks great! You girls are adorable, that looks like so much fun!

Thora I'm so glad you found a stylist you like and you got a fun cut. Can't wait to see! What was the reaction of others in the salon?

Nikki

Aorta

Familiar Face
ohairas said:
Hello Aorta and welcome! Aren't you a doll!

That hairstyle is adorable, and you're right.. you don't have far to go. Be sure to check out the Classic Style, how to get the look thread, along with the Show us your hair do's thread. You will get GREAT adivice from everyone. (A LOT of reading, but much to learn!) In the end it will be trial and error, and what works best with your hair type and schedule. If it were me, I'd sleep on pillow curlers and brush it into soft waves in the morning! Best wishes!
Nikki

Nikki, I enjoyed your help and recommendation :) . I had already checked out the "Classic Style"-section. I have been looking for pillow curlers and they are really cheap, that's great 'cause I have already spent a lot of money for all sorts of cosmetics this month, shame on me! :whistling

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Dottie the cut looks great! You girls are adorable, that looks like so much fun!

Thora I'm so glad you found a stylist you like and you got a fun cut. Can't wait to see! What was the reaction of others in the salon?

Nikki

You are such a sweetie Nikki! And the Devil-Ettes truly are a hoot!

BTW, I did my hair in curlers over the weekend and even put on make-up for a quickie "photo shoot" and darnit if all of the photos were blurry. Well, here's the best one of the group! Bah!

And you can't even see my cute roll in front. Note to self--take my brunette head to a room with white walls instead of a brown background....
And please forgive the bad photo and lack of smile.

2002501533154732488_rs.jpg

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
How funny is that! I was thinking of going blonde as well!

Is it something to do with spring/summer do you think? We just booked our summer hols to Ibiza and I instantly thought of going blonde.

Thing is that I was trying to grow my hair out. If I go blonde I will have to have a few inches taken off. The bleach will just kill my hair.

So I'd go blonde if your hair is in good condition - however black hair is VERY hard to bleach. It may take more than one application. It took 2 to lift the red out of my hair last time. You may also have to consider going shorter.(hair shorter, that is!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy