Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage suit colors

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Oh, I agree! In fact, I have seen some color photos of busy streets in the early 50's that proves your point!

Like so...

capitoltheatre4vx.jpg

The only brightly colored object in the photo is that strange 1949 Packard taxi! Never seen a Packard taxi before. They mostly were DeSoto's and other MoPar makes. ;) But, that's getting of topic.

Most of the color worn by men were seen in spring time or summer months. Also, it depended a lot on the area one lived. Different life styles and standards all play a roll in where you'll see bright colored suits and not so bright colored suits being worn or, suits being worn at all!

Best,
WR.

Crazy man!
Do you know where that pic was taken?? Looks mighty east coast to me. NY?
Philly?
Man, ..just thinking that at that time you could walk into any old mens shop or department store and just get the suit of your life. It makes me dizzy.
Just look at that picture. Everything just resonates with class. Even as plain and workaday as it is,....pure class.
Look those neon signs. Or that ornamental street lamp.
The two tone cars. Like that one parked in fronta Lindys.

EL C.

shamus

Suspended
that picture is from 1948-1949. As Pitfall was released in 1948. I'd opt for that since it seems like an east coast summer time and not a x-mas release.

shamus

Suspended
Wild Root said:

well after much sleuthing... that picture is of the Capitol Theater.
This theatre was located where the Paramount Plaza stands today, across from the Winter Garden 1645 Broadway, New York, NY

first opened in 1919.

Notice Warner theater just down the street and a store called Indy's. It was the summer time at 7:00 pm when it was taken.

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
shamus said:
well after much sleuthing... that picture is of the Capitol Theater.
This theatre was located where the Paramount Plaza stands today, across from the Winter Garden 1645 Broadway, New York, NY

first opened in 1919.

Notice Warner theater just down the street and a store called Indy's. It was the summer time at 7:00 pm when it was taken.

Shamus!
You are the most!
Good work!

I thought that Wilfred Beauty school building looked familiar!!
Well,..that street looks WAY different now.

EL C.

Wild Root

Gone Home
That is impressive I must say. I knew the theater but, had no idea what time of year it was and the time of the day! So, I was correct that it was during a summer month. I hear that NY summers are horrible and I don't blame them for ditching the lids.

Well done!

WR.

shamus

Suspended
I know it's at 7:00 as the clock below the marquee, and the light looks too intense to be morning light, but I could be wrong on that count.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh the clock, yeah, forgot about that. :rolleyes: DUH!

It looks like 7pm seeing that the sun is up longer in the summer anyway. And it's good to know that it's 1948 and not as late as I thought it was.

WR

Wild Root

Gone Home
Um, yeah, what about black suits? If you want to get technical, the "Color" black isn't considered a color. Nether is white. Black suits are sharp and very well recieved but, when it comes to color, they havn't any. ;)

WR.

PS. Photos of suits? Well, what's stopping you guys? Ok, I'll take the starch out of you guys, here's something to start with.
0933fv.jpg

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Oooh yeah. Now we're talkin!
Whats that joe holdin under his arm with those two crisply wrapped packages? Whadoes he got there?
Freshly tailored rayon shirts? With the birdwing collars and flap pockets? Maybe mother of pearl buttons too?

Wheres the drool icon here???

Now this is how you get measured for a suit!!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Seen that photo before! It's really cool how they measured for suits back then! It's no wonder why suits today fit like, well, you know. :p

Here is another picture for you guys.

f921e53c7kr.jpg

WR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner