Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Taubers of California steerhide cafe racer, sz. 40 (38)

Gamma68

One Too Many
Taubers of California was based in San Francisco and produced high-quality leather motorcycle clothing from the early 1940s until folding sometime in the early 1980s.

Their jackets were (and still are) considered top shelf. In a March 1981 issue of "Norton Notice," the newsletter of the Norton Club's Northern California Branch, a reviewer of Taubers products says "Ray Tauber makes what are quite simply the BEST leather motorcycle clothing I have ever seen having spent over a year saving for a set and checking out every leather clothing manufacturer I could find." You can read the rest of the review here (on page 10)
http://www.nortonclub.com/Newsletter/volume_4/Volume_4_Issue_3-34.pdf

Taubers made lots of variations on the traditional cross-zip Perfecto style jackets, but their cafe racers (they advertised them as the "Competition Shirt") are less common and harder to find.

This one is made from a robust steerhide leather. This was made for serious riding and not for fashion. The jacket has two chest pockets and a two-snap collar. All zips, including the two under the sleeves, are brass with Talon zips.

The interior is lined in blue wool felt. The article cited above notes that many Taubers products were custom-made and it wouldn't surprise me if the lining was a custom option. The sleeves are a typical rayon.

The jacket is in overall excellent condition and the leather shows some very nice graining. All zips and snaps work perfectly. There is a small scuff in the leather at the right elbow. No holes or stains in the lining. There is some lining separation at the right cuff and a small lining hole at the left cuff. This is minor compared to shredded cuffs often seen on older jackets.

Tagged a size 40 but due to the thick steerhide seems more like a size 38.

Measurements
Shoulders: 18”
Chest: 20.25”
Sleeve: 25” (following sleeve curve)
Waist: 19.5”
Length from top of collar: 26.5

Asking $295. Price includes CONUS shipping.

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

Gamma68

One Too Many
BUMP.

I also wanted to clarify that the lighter areas visible in the photo of the lining are not faded spots. I took photos in dappled sunlight, so that's just the sun shining through a tree. The lining is a solid dark blue throughout with no fades.

This is such a beautiful jacket and a near pristine example. If this fit me I'd have a very hard time selling it and no hesitation at all in buying it. Taubers had a special kind of hide and the cut is sheer brilliance.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Thanks, Ton. I agree 100%. After wearing it for a while, I've come to the conclusion that it's just a size too small for me. It's still painful to sell because I love that hide and the lining. But better that someone else will actually love all that PLUS wearing it.

Last edited:

lina

Practically Family
Wow, that's a beauty. Just the classic CR jacket. If it was my size I'd buy it on principle alone.... Someone should snatch this up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy