Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage telephones and VoIP

MissMittens

One Too Many
I looked up an old page online and read something that might be of use to Loungers. Vonage (I'm not connected with them in any way) tech support have the ability to crank up the ringer voltage on their box to a full 90v. This means anyone with a bakelite phone with the bell style ringer, can receive calls on Vonage. There are various converters out there for using them to dial out also, converting pulse into DTMF tones.

Didn't see this posted anywhere, so figured it might be helpful

I know about the converters and such, but I have a lot of rotary phones (about 70 or so) and like to rotate what's in use. I was more wondering if what they say, isn't just a CYA thing, which I think PrettySquareGal covered. My 96 a month cell bill has prevented me from getting a landline, but if Vonage would work, I may go that route.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I know about the converters and such, but I have a lot of rotary phones (about 70 or so) and like to rotate what's in use. I was more wondering if what they say, isn't just a CYA thing, which I think PrettySquareGal covered. My 96 a month cell bill has prevented me from getting a landline, but if Vonage would work, I may go that route.

My cable company including the guy who installed it told my rotary phones wouldn't work with it. What do they know! :)

MissMittens

One Too Many
I don't, sorry. I use Time Warner cable, if that helps any; they may be able to give you that info in general.

Thanks PSG! I did a little Googling and found that the cable company says it won't work, but people have had luck with some of the Motorola boxes they give out anyway, so you're

Apparently Vonage works too with a Motorola VT-2142 box even though they don't "support" it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner