Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage televisions, anyone? Post pics here!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
QUOTE=Big Man;1201031]While going through some of my Dad's old papers today (I've got boxes and boxes of them), I found a canceled check written 3 November 1951 for $390 for a "T.V. Set". I suppose the check was payment for the old DuMont TV that is still in the house. The old TV doesn't work now (the picture tube went out years ago), The last time it was turned on the radio worked, but I'd be afraid to plug it in now.

The price of $390 was a lot of money in 1951 (heck, it's a lot of money to me NOW). Does that sound about right for the price of this kind of TV in 1951?

Here's the canceled check from 1951.

DSC05458.jpg

Here's the only "old" picture I have of the TV. This picture was taken in 1958.

DSC02754.jpg

And here it is now (picture taken about a year ago), still in the same corner of the same room.

MainRoom.jpg

[/QUOTE]
Big Man! You're just a one man human living museum! Always so much fun to visit your house, wherever the time machine decides to drop us.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Big Man! You're just a one man human living museum! Always so much fun to visit your house, wherever the time machine decides to drop us.

Thanks. I fully realize just how incredibly fortunate I am to have so many "connections" to the past. The box of things I was going though when I found the canceled check for the TV contained bank statements from 1951 to 1957. Those were some of the best years for my parents. There were a number of canceled checks for pieces of furniture, a radio, and a stove that are still in use today. All these things were purchased when my parents really began keeping house on their own.

It's all just worthless scraps of paper to most everyone else, but to me it's a link to a time now so long gone.

JAZZmann

New in Town
check out MZTV Museum of Television in Toronto (sorry don't know how to do links). I went there over spring break. It was fantastic.

Red Tractors

New in Town
Well, I'm beating my head against a wall now. I donated off my Grandmother's ca 1985 Zenith stereo console last fall, granted the picture was starting to go but it did still work. I watched many a re-run of Dragnet and Adam 12 on that TV.

I do have my grandparents B&W portable set from the early 60's. And most of Grandpa's tools and tube checker, he was a TV and Radio repairman from about 1950 till the late 60's.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Using Inflation Calculator Big Man, that comes to well over $3200 today.
Very nice....
The Dumont would be $4500.
Holy cow....

30s sliphorn

New in Town
1947RCA1.jpg
[/IMG]
This is my 1947 RCA; my uncle was fond of vintage TVs, and gave it to me recently. I haven't taken it to have it checked out by a professional yet, but would like to at some point. Next to it is my 1933 Philco "Baby Grand" cathedral radio. It has been fully restored and is a real joy to listen to.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
If anyone in the DFW area is looking for a vintage 50s TV, there are several very nice looking ones on Craigslist right now, priced $95-$225.

Last edited:
Big Man said:
While going through some of my Dad's old papers today (I've got boxes and boxes of them), I found a canceled check written 3 November 1951 for $390 for a "T.V. Set". I suppose the check was payment for the old DuMont TV that is still in the house. The old TV doesn't work now (the picture tube went out years ago), The last time it was turned on the radio worked, but I'd be afraid to plug it in now.

The price of $390 was a lot of money in 1951 (heck, it's a lot of money to me NOW). Does that sound about right for the price of this kind of TV in 1951?

$390 in 1951 is roughly equivalent to $3,300 today.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Always bugs the heck out of me to see them gutted like that. But it's a sweet cabinet. The emblem indicates that once upon a time an Emerson product resided inside.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Here is our "retrovation" television. It's an early 50s Westinghouse cabinet with a late model color picture tube. It has audio/video inputs which we use to run DVD. It makes vintage movie nights at home way more fun!

2012-10-03091913.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
Once someone was giving me an early 50s TV, but I had nothing to haul it with. If I would have known you can connect a dvd player!!

Very cool! Sure makes my old 80's consoles look boring!

I have the same antenna and panther on one of my sets.

Here is our "retrovation" television. It's an early 50s Westinghouse cabinet with a late model color picture tube. It has audio/video inputs which we use to run DVD. It makes vintage movie nights at home way more fun!

2012-10-03091913.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Once someone was giving me an early 50s TV, but I had nothing to haul it with. If I would have known you can connect a dvd player!!

The "guts" are from a late model TV. I don't think the old TVs have audio/video inputs. The conversion was set up for me a fellow in New Jersey named Harry Poster (look up Harry Poster [dot] com).

We're going to get a Roku to stream Netflix and Amazon instant soon.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

2012-10-03091913.jpg
Where's the aluminum foil on the rabbit ears?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21