Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

First thing I spotted was the station wagon in the fourth row over, near the front of the line.

Aha! Now it makes sense. lol lol

traffic-jam.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
How about things that have appeared during my lifetime?
I remember when women (as in practically all) hid their bra straps.

The girl sitting in front of me in church on Sunday was wearing a tank top and her bra straps were showing. I understand that fashion has changed, but I think in church a certain level of modesty should still be conveyed.

Flicka

One Too Many

OTOH, I remember when no self-respecting woman under 30 wore a bra at all and everyone sunbathed topless (as in Sweden in the 80s)...

The girl sitting in front of me in church on Sunday was wearing a tank top and her bra straps were showing. I understand that fashion has changed, but I think in church a certain level of modesty should still be conveyed.

The concept that one should show a sense of propriety and respect in certain situations hasn't been passed on by many parents in long time.

You hit the nail on the head, there!

The concept that one should show a sense of propriety and respect in certain situations hasn't been passed on by many parents in long time.

One of my coworkers (used to work sanitation) she wears no bra and a white shirt and would be soaked from cleaning. She's 52 years old.....

OTOH, I remember when no self-respecting woman under 30 wore a bra at all and everyone sunbathed topless (as in Sweden in the 80s)...

I let it go, it was at the bar after a wake for a mutual friend and she was three sheets.

That's another vintage thing that has disappeared. It seems back in the day, that people weren't quite so 'touchy-feely' or maybe it's just me. It seems like everyone wants to hug and kiss these days.

Hi

getting serious. My Mother used to wash our cloths on a wash board and hang them out to dry on a cloths line.
So I guess the wash board is missing. I cant imagine any woman doing my clothes on a wash board.
Also my Father had a shoe repair shop on the side of the house. These days no one get there shoes repaired, heels, soles, etc.
A true dying profession, shoe repairs.

Best regards
Countryclubjoe

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
These days no one get there shoes repaired, heels, soles, etc.
A true dying profession, shoe repairs.

It is even hard to find a pair of decent shoes that don't have a bonded welt connecting the upper to the sole (so much for a repairable shoe).
Look around and see how many people are really wearing shoes today. Many people consider athletic footwear to be appropriate with a shirt and tie and even a suit today.

Flicka

One Too Many
I actually know plenty of people who get their shoes repaired. In fact, in Stockholm, there's a cobbler on basically every block.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
When my parents lived in Germany I would take any shoes that needed repair when I went to visit because the guy they went to there did such a good job.

The local military exchanges don't even have shoe repair shops anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn