Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Or to use another example then

A maths paper has ten problems requiring a solution for Y.

Present a set of solutions which has ten correct values for Y and nothing else and you will fail. In fact you won't be graded.
Present a set of solutions where you have some, perhaps many, incorrect but demonstrate that you have understood the problems and the method of resolving and you may pass.

I've never seen an educator accept only the right answer, without "showing your work", and I understand that you may get at least partial credit for understanding the concept but arriving at the wrong answer. But that's very different than the principle that the correct answer is irrelevant.

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
I've never seen an educator accept only the right answer, without "showing your work", and I understand that you may get at least partial credit for understanding the concept but arriving at the wrong answer. But that's very different than the principle that the correct answer is irrelevant.

I don't think anyone suggested that a correct answer was irrelevant.

However I can absolutely understand how it may appear that educators place greater emphasis on method than result.

If the method is correct, then the student can solve any related problem. The fact that they haven't is an error, probably of basic calculus.

If the method used is incorrect or flawed then a diligent student may score a 100% on a paper, by virtue of none of the problems highlighting the flaws in his logic. But he may not be able to correctly solve more than a tiny fraction of such problems.

So a paper with 100% correct solutions may fail, if the methodology is incorrect whereas one with 50% correct solutions may achieve a pass grade if an approved and logical method has been used...

I don't think anyone suggested that a correct answer was irrelevant.

That's certainly what was suggested earlier, at least how I interpreted it.

However I can absolutely understand how it may appear that educators place greater emphasis on method than result.

If the method is correct, then the student can solve any related problem. The fact that they haven't is an error, probably of basic calculus.

If the method used is incorrect or flawed then a diligent student may score a 100% on a paper, by virtue of none of the problems highlighting the flaws in his logic. But he may not be able to correctly solve more than a tiny fraction of such problems.

So a paper with 100% correct solutions may fail, if the methodology is incorrect whereas one with 50% correct solutions may achieve a pass grade if an approved and logical method has been used...

We're on the same page on this. Getting the correct answer by pure dumb luck is no better than getting the wrong answer, and perhaps even worse.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You mean he beat Edison and DC current. Westinghouse was the one who licensed Tesla's AC.

On a side note, I had the experience of meeting and talking to one of the ten most brilliant scientists in the last 1,000 years, Linus Pauling. It was towards the end of his life, but he was a certifiable nutjob. Brilliant, but out there...I mean REALLY out there.

I'm a fan of Pauling's and would like to know what you mean by nut job. I know he was considered a crank because of some of his ideas (radioactive fallout is bad for you, Vitamin C is good for you). So far as I know all his far out ideas were based on hard science and research. Some of his craziest ideas have become mainstream.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Pauling's and would like to know what you mean by nut job. I know he was considered a crank because of some of his ideas (radioactive fallout is bad for you, Vitamin C is good for you). So far as I know all his far out ideas were based on hard science and research. Some of his craziest ideas have become mainstream.

I mean his personality, not his ideas. He was just a strange guy. Of course, he was close to 90 at the time, so that may have had something to do with it.

Not in any education I've ever seen.

I would. In science and math, the correct answer is the whole point.

Aha! come out here and you will see nutjob education first hand with all the Outcome Based Education that would make your head spin. You can't correct their papers with red pen because it makes them feeeeelll bad. You can't flunk them because it harms their self esteem. You can't give them A, B, C, D and F grades because those who get low grades will feeelll inferior. You have to give them good, satisfactory or needs improvement so their little heads won't explode. :rolleyes: Boy, you need immersion with public education like I have had here for two generations and you would change your mind. Then again, your head might explode. lol lol I had to use duck tape to keep mine from doing so. :p

Aha! come out here and you will see nutjob education first hand with all the Outcome Based Education that would make your head spin. You can't correct their papers with red pen because it makes them feeeeelll bad. You can't flunk them because it harms their self esteem. You can't give them A, B, C, D and F grades because those who get low grades will feeelll inferior. You have to give them good, satisfactory or needs improvement so their little heads won't explode. :rolleyes: Boy, you need immersion with public education like I have had here for two generations and you would change your mind. Then again, your head might explode. lol lol I had to use duck tape to keep mine from doing so. :p

You don't like the schools, you don't like the weather, you don't like the people, it's insanely expensive...so I gotta ask...why do you live there?

You don't like the schools, you don't like the weather, you don't like the people, it's insanely expensive...so I gotta ask...why do you live there?

I was here before all the nuts came out here and I am not leaving until I get rid of all the hippies and nuts. The good weather will return without the people pollution. In other words, I am not leaving until all of the people here agree with me.:p

Brown Cars,

Particularly basic sedans, typically Fords LTD's that were the choice of Police Departments everywhere once upon a time.

7045700001_large.jpg

Like this, but usually PD's didn't get the privilege of a vinyl top, deluxe wheel covers and cornering lamps.

Brown Cars,

Particularly basic sedans, typically Fords LTD's that were the choice of Police Departments everywhere once upon a time.

7045700001_large.jpg

Like this, but usually PD's didn't get the privilege of a vinyl top, deluxe wheel covers and cornering lamps.

My uncle had one like that except it was a two door. Ugliest car I have seen in a while. He was good at finding them though. :p Brown just doesn't do a car much justice when you can make them pop with less earthy colors. I think you can still get that color but since the 70s are over, most people just choose another color. :p There are more drab white, gray and blue shades out here than anything else now....:doh:

DesertDan

One Too Many
I had the station wagon version of that car, one of the best vehicles I've owned.
A LTD 2-door (coupe?) was my first car. 17 years old and a 351 Cleveland....yeah, got in trouble a few times. :D

I personally think Ford's Panther Platform was the best one ever made. Anything from that era with an LTD or Crown Victoria badge on it is definitely worth having. Good picks for cars, especially in one's youth. Even if you wreck in one of those, you've got a lot of vehicle to protect you.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I mean his personality, not his ideas. He was just a strange guy. Of course, he was close to 90 at the time, so that may have had something to do with it.

I'm intrigued. Strange how? Strange compared to the typical chemistry professor? Strange compared to the average, ordinary specimens one encounters on the Fedora Lounge?

How did this strangeness manifest itself?

I know he considered himself funny looking, and that this bothered him when he was a young man but I thought he got over it.

Or do you mean his opinions were strange because they were based on facts and scientific research not what he read in the papers?

3fingers

One Too Many
My uncle had one like that except it was a two door. Ugliest car I have seen in a while.
My parents had a two door Crown Vic when I was in high school. It was Candy Apple red with a white top. It wasn't very sexy, but my Dad special ordered it with the high output 351, which was what the cop cars used at that time. I have always had a truck myself, but I do remember taking it a few times on Saturday night to slap Camaros around. No one ever seemed to notice the two tail pipes or the lope of the roller cam. :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Brown Cars,

7045700001_large.jpg

I had a Dodge Diplomat (when I first started with the gov't) and it was brown.
Of all the colors it could be, brown.
Blech! Of course the only color that made the Diplomat somewhat likely was Black Cherry. A dark metallic maroon.

Let me add, since it's Labor Day weekend, the MDA Telethon (as it used to be).
Now it's just down to hours, on one day I believe.
For 40+ years they had top notch talent, and it was a staple of the weekend seeing Jerry, and the stars he'd bring out.
I understand over the past few years it lost money, but after reading an article posted this month the explanation was to natural disasters and the economy. However, the past few years only saw minimal losses ($1-5 Million) as opposed to the past 2 years (after ousting Jerry) of at least $14 million. Was Jerry a saint during this? No, I've read that too.
So I'll add the MDA Telethon under vintage because of how long it was on, and the memories it made.
BTW some of those memories are on youtube.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The ability to make change.

The family was at the state fair the other day and we got ice cream. Total came to $5.25. I handed the cashier a ten dollar bill and a one dollar bill, because I wanted a five back. He told me, "It's *five* twenty five." I said yes, I know, I want a five dollar bill back, not four ones. He said "It's $5.25" again and looked at me like I was an idiot, refusing to take the one.

What the hell do they teach in schools these days? Seriously? When I was eight to ten my parents did craft shows to earn extra money and I had to handle the cash box. I didn't have the benefit of a register and I am sure I understood this concept by the time I was ten.

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
The ability to make change.

The family was at the state fair the other day and we got ice cream. Total came to $5.25. I handed the cashier a ten dollar bill and a one dollar bill, because I wanted a five back. He told me, "It's *five* twenty five." I said yes, I know, I want a five dollar bill back, not four ones. He said "It's $5.25" again and looked at me like I was an idiot, refusing to take the one.

What the hell do they teach in schools these days? Seriously? When I was eight to ten my parents did craft shows to earn extra money and I had to handle the cash box. I didn't have the benefit of a register and I am sure I understood this concept by the time I was ten.

Hmm.. That's 50/50 a maths thing and a service thing.
I know most of you live in the States, how many have visited Ireland North or South? :)

I have a notion that a spell spent here would have you longing for the service levels you experience at home while shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR