Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Last night, we had a REALLY BIG, REALLY BAD storm here. It was pouring with rain and howling tree-felling winds for about fourteen hours straight. From dinnertime yesterday, until about 7:30 this morning.

The storm was so bad, it knocked out the power. And that almost never happens. Shows you how bad this storm was!

Anyway, when I woke up this morning, the juice was still out. And when I was cooking my breakfast, it reminded me of something else.

When's the last time you had to light a gas stove by hand, with a box of matches? Until today, when the power went out, and the electric spark-lighter on the stove didn't work, I hadn't had to do this for years. Today, I had to resort to turning the gas on low, striking a match, lighting the gas by hand, and then cranking it up high to cook breakfast.

I've never used a stove that had electronic ignition. I have electric now, but previously had gas with a pilot light. My parents gas stove has a pilot light too.

I used to have an old stove that required a match, or more what I used was a stick lighter.

On a side note...you should probably light the match, *then* turn the gas on...for safety's sake.

dnjan

One Too Many
Those barbecue-grill lighters are great for lighting pilot-less gas stoves.

Of course, when you switch to using the barbecue-lighter, the hair on your knuckles will be able to grow back and you will have to deal with that Neanderthal look ...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Don't know if this was mentioned yet. How about mucilage? NASTY stuff. Those little narrow topped glass bottles with the rubber tips used to be seen everywhere. Mucilage is a plant derived slimy oozy yellow liquid that has excellent adhesive qualities. Great for envelopes (where it's still used), and stamps (where it's no longer used).
We now have a vast panoply of useful adhesives. We don't have to mess with that stuff anymore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Don't know if this was mentioned yet. How about mucilage? NASTY stuff. Those little narrow topped glass bottles with the rubber tips used to be seen everywhere. Mucilage is a plant derived slimy oozy yellow liquid that has excellent adhesive qualities. Great for envelopes (where it's still used), and stamps (where it's no longer used).
We now have a vast panoply of useful adhesives. We don't have to mess with that stuff anymore.

Mucilage still has its uses for me -- it's the only thing I'll use to reattach labels that have fallen off radio transcriptions. It's chemically neutral, and won't attack the cellulose nitrate lacquer coating of the discs, and it can, if necessary, be easily removed once it's dried without damaging the disc or the label. No other adhesive works as well for this purpose.

VintageBee

One of the Regulars

My, I had forgotten about that glue! I need go buy some just so I can put it in my desk for those envelopes that refuse to stay stuck!
Yes. Yes I do send snail mail. Still.
Go ahead, call me old fashioned, I'd consider it a compliment! :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I got my new phone book in the mail this week, with an ominous notice on the cover: "Future Editions of this Directory will not contain Residential White Pages listings. For 2015 and all future issues, the Residential White Pages will be available upon request."

I still use the phone book. I'll be requesting.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got my new phone book in the mail this week, with an ominous notice on the cover: "Future Editions of this Directory will not contain Residential White Pages listings. For 2015 and all future issues, the Residential White Pages will be available upon request."

I still use the phone book. I'll be requesting.

I think we all ought to. There's a lot of people who don't have access to the internet to look up phone listings- for a variety of reasons. We ought to request it to keep them printing it as long as possible. There's no warning on ours, but you can bet I'll be the number one caller if I ever get one.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It is the future, even if we don't like it. Even, my vintage motorcycle club, just voted to go paper less on our news letter! On the bright side, it will save a lot of money on printing and postage.

I noticed that a new yellow pages showed up on the porch of our new house right after we moved in, but not a white one. I didn't give it any thought until now.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I forgot about these.
The boxes at least in some of his tricks with them, were connected with a string.
Not all mind you, but many.
I got this from a juggling website, which had an interview with him from his early days.
Included was the cigar box trick, and something with tennis balls.
He was still an amazing juggler, especially given his off stage "thirst."
BTW his hat trick in the second one is amazing.

Recently I was surprised to read on the net, that Fields never drank while he was a juggler. From the age of 13 up he made his living in Vaudeville and music halls as a juggler and took his craft seriously. He would not take a drink unless he was through performing for the day, and did not have a performance the next day. Then he might have 1 or 2 drinks with friends, never more. He did not want it to affect his reflexes or timing.

He did not relax this rule until he went to work in Zeigfeld's Follies in 1915 or 1916, when he was in his mid thirties. This was when he gave up juggling for sketch comedy and did not need to be so strict about drinking.

green papaya

One Too Many
vintage toys in every box of Cracker Jack , they use to have little toys inside, but now all they have is cheap stickers or paper items, so kids dont accidentally choke on something.

3fingers

One Too Many
vintage toys in every box of Cracker Jack , they use to have little toys inside, but now all they have is cheap stickers or paper items, so kids dont accidentally choke on something.
I recall being happy to find little pot metal animals. For some reason, I also remember a tiny plastic briefcase. You are right. When my kids were little guys, I bought them Cracker Jack and was more disappointed than they were that they got a sticker or a little temporary tattoo.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My best friend and I were discussing this a few days ago. You used to get a prize now you get some junk. :doh:
Like this?
blatz.jpg
Kind of a let down after going through the box...:doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy