Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

The one I tried kind of stuttered between different stages of brightness, and wouldn't dim to black at all.

We do use CFLs in the underside of our marquee -- they're shrouded with a fake globe-shaped envelope so they aren't repulsive to look at, but the quality of light is not particularly pleasant. I've got the sample LED screwed into one of those outdoor sockets and I'm watching it to see how well it stands up compared to the CFLs in extreme weather.

I've had pretty good durability with the CFLs on the marquee. Most of the ones out there now have been working every night for the past nine years.

The LED will out do the CFLs easily. Just give it time.:p
I have no idea how people get so much use out of their CFL bulbs. The ones I experimented with lasted about a year at most. Maybe the first ones sucked even worse than the ones they produce now.:doh:

Yet if you put both of them in the same situation the Incandescent wins every time.

Not in light output. It is simply physically impossible for an incandescent bulb to give off the same amount of light as a CFL or LED of the same power.

Again, you may like the light and heat given off by an incandescent, but they cannot produce as much light with the same wattage.

The ones I've experimented with, which were some kind of sample we got from a distributor, didn't dim all the way to black in a smooth fade, which is what we require. Hopefully they'll come out with something that will work before I run out of 60 watt bulbs. Otherwise the old ladies who complain about not being able to do their Sunday Times crossword before the matinee will be inconsolable.

The other cool thing about LEDs is you can get any color of bulb you want. It can mimic an incandescent or a CFL, it can go from bright white to red to green to blue to any color of the rainbow...from the same bulb. The dimming technology is still being perfected, but LEDs are going to be the way to go soon. Hopefully before the old ladies have a conniption fit.

Not in light output. It is simply physically impossible for an incandescent bulb to give off the same amount of light as a CFL or LED of the same power.

Again, you may like the light and heat given off by an incandescent, but they cannot produce as much light with the same wattage.

Then they must be labeled wrong because those labeled as the same power certainly aren't. Watch the videos. They tell the story.

Then they must be labeled wrong because those labeled as the same power certainly aren't. Watch the videos. They tell the story.

I watched the video and the incandescent is the dimmest. However, you may be conflating actual wattage and "equivalent wattage". In other words, they'll advertise that this CFL is "equivalent" to a 60W incandescent, but it may actually be only a 15W bulb (or in the case of LED it may only be a 5W bulb). They are trying to replicate the amount of light the 60W incandescent puts out. But 60W of fluorescent or LED and 60W of incandescent?...they are not close. Not even a little.

I watched the video and the incandescent is the dimmest. However, you may be conflating actual wattage and "equivalent wattage". In other words, they'll advertise that this CFL is "equivalent" to a 60W incandescent, but it may actually be only a 15W bulb (or in the case of LED it may only be a 5W bulb). They are trying to replicate the amount of light the 60W incandescent puts out. But 60W of fluorescent or LED and 60W of incandescent?...they are not close. Not even a little.

I see the problem now. You can't see well. lol lol

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Don't look now but food may be the next thing to disappear if this Silicon Valley techie has his way.

" Add up all the time and money that you've spent this month on food — shopping for groceries, cooking, cleaning up, paying your grocery and restaurant bills — and you might be surprised at how much of your life is eaten by food.

One San Francisco Bay-area man has decided it's just not worth it. For the past month, Rob Rhinehart, a 24-year-old software engineer, has avoided all solid food. Instead, he's subsisting exclusively on a chemical concoction he brews in his kitchen.

The name of his potion? "Soylent."

Comparisons to the 1973 classic sci-fi film "Soylent Green"— in which people survived on crackers made from human flesh — are inevitable, but off-base. "My Soylent is human free," Rhinehart told Vice.

"In my own life, I resented the time, money and effort the purchase, preparation, consumption and clean-up of food was consuming," Rhinehart explains on his blog.

"I hypothesized that the body doesn't need food itself, merely the chemicals and elements it contains. So, I resolved to embark on an experiment," Rhinehart wrote. "What if I consumed only the raw ingredients the body uses for energy?"

To do so, Rhinehart turned his kitchen into a chemistry lab and whipped up his first batch of Soylent, a "thick, odorless, beige liquid" that included protein, carbohydrates, fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals such as potassium, iron and calcium.

The nearly 40 ingredients used to make Soylent aren't readily available at your corner market. Rhinehart adds nutrients including folate, lycopene and alpha-carotene, some of which he procured at laboratory supply stores."

Here is the inventor to explain it.

http://laughingsquid.com/soylent-a-food-replacement-made-of-vitamins-nutrients-not-people/

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I read about that in Popular Science a couple of months ago. I could be wrong, but I really don't see that replacing food. It probably doesn't taste good, if it even tastes like anything. I don't really expect the food industry to just vaporize either, because they supply restaurants and bakeries.

However, there is one thing I am afraid of happening. Self-Driving cars. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have read that they plan to release these in 2018, probably as an option, but I am afraid that they will take it a step too far. I am afraid that they will "convince" the government ban non self-driving cars.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

Are you claiming that a standard 60 Watt, 125 volt, 750 hour A19 Soft white lamp, with a rated output of 750 lumens is brighter than a 60 watt CFL? The 60 watt CFL puts out 3450 Lumens.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Forgive me for changing the subject, It was either here or in 'The Decline in Standards,' thread. What seems to have disappeared in my lifetime is the standard that was once the norm in drinking vessels.

If you had a guest and you offered them a hot drink, you served it in a cup, as in a cup with a saucer. The recipient knew that the spoon that you provided was for stirring their hot drink and that there would be another spoon in the sugar bowl, or sometimes, a pair of sugar tongs to drop a sugar lump or two, into your hot drink. When did that vulgar drinking vessel we call the coffee mug become so common place that most folk think that a saucer is a flying object, occupied by aliens?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mugs have always been the standard in diners and lunchrooms -- one less item of dishes to wash, and that translates into money. If we saw a restaurant that served drinks with saucers, we knew it was a fancy place.

My grandmother used saucers, but they were late-40s plastic ones.

The only dishes I own were scavenged from the basement of a defunct lunchroom -- lots of small white mugs, but no saucers. You could use a bread plate instead of a saucer, but the effect wouldn't be particularly pleasing. I don't take cream or sugar, so I don't have those in the house, and I just flip the spent tea bag into the garbage can as I'm shuffling across the kitchen. It's the way we always did it, and the way I've always done it.

The truly barbaric drinking vessel is the ubiquitous adult sippy cup, thru which frothy, corn-syrupy coffee-like overpriced drinks are sucked.

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Forgive me for changing the subject, It was either here or in 'The Decline in Standards,' thread. What seems to have disappeared in my lifetime is the standard that was once the norm in drinking vessels.

If you had a guest and you offered them a hot drink, you served it in a cup, as in a cup with a saucer. The recipient knew that the spoon that you provided was for stirring their hot drink and that there would be another spoon in the sugar bowl, or sometimes, a pair of sugar tongs to drop a sugar lump or two, into your hot drink. When did that vulgar drinking vessel we call the coffee mug become so common place that most folk think that a saucer is a flying object, occupied by aliens?

I'm not sure about the UK, but here in Australia mugs replacing teacups & saucers really began during the 70's when coffee (usually horrible instant) and tea bags became more popular than loose leaf tea as an everyday beverage.

Last edited:
Are you claiming that a standard 60 Watt, 125 volt, 750 hour A19 Soft white lamp, with a rated output of 750 lumens is brighter than a 60 watt CFL? The 60 watt CFL puts out 3450 Lumens.

Show me the video and I will make a decision based on actual light not just numbers. If such a bulb exists instead of some phony equivalent crap then we can actually see if here is a difference. I don't dispute the LEDs actual effectiveness---if given the daylight bulb. The problem with those is that they buzz and cost an arm and a leg. Then again, so do CFLs.

The Christmas lights. Fifty of those things are brighter than I thought....
Sure, unless they're CFL Christmas lights. :D

People can cite all of the facts, figures, and science they want to. In my experience, in our home, I've concluded CFL bulbs simply do not light the room(s) as well as their incandescent counterparts. The CFL bulbs might produce more light, but that light sure doesn't disperse the same as the light produced by incandescent bulbs.

Sure, unless they're CFL Christmas lights. :D

People can cite all of the facts, figures, and science they want to. In my experience, in our home, I've concluded CFL bulbs simply do not light the room(s) as well as their incandescent counterparts. The CFL bulbs might produce more light, but that light sure doesn't disperse the same as the light produced by incandescent bulbs.

So if you have a lamp with a 60W incandescent, and you replace it with three lamps with 60W CFLs, you can't tell a difference?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I see the problem now. You can't see well. lol lol
Must have LED's in the house.
25w would be my guess. :D

It's hard to compare 1 pound of bacon to 10 pounds of celery.
Celery is weighed by density, while bacon is weighed by taste.
Taste always outweighs density, especially when it concerns celery.
Therefore 1 pound of bacon DOES weigh more than 10 pounds of celery.
Somehow in my exhausted state, that makes sense. :boxing:

Hey, a new pic from Zombie. :eusa_clap

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy