Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

rjb1

Practically Family
That "WigWam Village" Key brings back fond memories. Note the address: 601 N. Dixie Hwy, Cave City KY
When we were kids our family drove from Detroit to Nashville on that highway (pre-Interstate). My mother would always wake me and my brother up so we could see the "Indian tents".

That "WigWam Village" Key brings back fond memories. Note the address: 601 N. Dixie Hwy, Cave City KY
When we were kids our family drove from Detroit to Nashville on that highway (pre-Interstate). My mother would always wake me and my brother up so we could see the "Indian tents".

Glad I could bring that back for you.

I can remember all kinds of cool stuff I saw on the side of the road, mostly in the gulf coast area, that I thought was cool as a kid, that is no longer there. I'm trying to take my kids to see as much of it that's left as I can.
I nearly froze my *** off staying there, with only a tiny space heater to keep the room warm, but my kids were so excited about the whole experience, they didn't care one bit how cold it was.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The only one of those I ever saw in the North was on the side of the "Living Waters Revival Center," a group which also had the very last live Sunday morning gospel music program on local radio here. Every Sunday morning their quartet and their accordion player would crowd into the news booth and stand in front of of an old Western Electric ribbon mike to do a live half-hour of old-time hymn singing. I got to engineer a few of these broadcasts when I was working Sunday morning shifts, and I wish camcorders had been around then to preserve the scene -- it really was a piece of vanishing Americana from the Era.

That church is long gone -- its members basically just died off -- and the building itself has been turned into an apartment building. "The Son of Man has no place to lay his head, but you can -- for just $700 a month plus utilities!"

Last edited:
Glad I could bring that back for you.

I can remember all kinds of cool stuff I saw on the side of the road, mostly in the gulf coast area, that I thought was cool as a kid, that is no longer there. I'm trying to take my kids to see as much of it that's left as I can.
I nearly froze my *** off staying there, with only a tiny space heater to keep the room warm, but my kids were so excited about the whole experience, they didn't care one bit how cold it was.

You are supposed to go to those places in the summer not in Evil Autumn. lol lol

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Go far enough north and you will encounter the 103 foot tall Mount Royal Cross on top of Mount Royal, Montreal Canada. The top of Mount Royal is 819 feet above the St. Lawrence River. It has been a landmark since 1924 and aviators can see it from many miles away.

Attachments

• mont-royal-cross-432462.jpg
    mont-royal-cross-432462.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Some who grew up down south will doubtlessly recall these. In N Ga. you couldn't swing a cat without hitting one.
Now, I dunno when I last saw one. [huh]

The great Southern songwriter Tim Krekel wrote a song called Greetings From Nashville (famously covered by Jason and The Scorchers) about the decline in the country music industry and the Californication of the South in general. One of the lines is:

"Somewhere Hank and Lefty, are rolling in their gaves...while kudzu vines grow over signs that read 'Jesus Saves'..."

rjb1

Practically Family
"Californication of the South" - Wow, do you have that right!
Latest Nashville version: A so-called "developer" bought one of the studios on Music Row that dates back to the Hank-era and was going to knock it down and put up condos, but said he wouldn't do that if someone bought it back from him at the right (inflated) price. (More-honest terrorists and criminals would call that "ransom money".)
Fortunately there are a lot of people with big money here, so someone did meet his price and saved that portion of the city's heritage. Other than that, some part of the the city's history is being destroyed almost every day. (Including the "Jesus Saves" signs, if any are left... bulldozers take them out a lot quicker than kudzu vines.)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The great Southern songwriter Tim Krekel wrote a song called Greetings From Nashville (famously covered by Jason and The Scorchers) about the decline in the country music industry and the Californication of the South in general. One of the lines is:

"Somewhere Hank and Lefty, are rolling in their gaves...while kudzu vines grow over signs that read 'Jesus Saves'..."

:eek:fftopic:
Jason and The Scorchers.
Man! That takes me back, they used to play the 4o Watt regularly back in the early '8o's.
I wore out that cassette. :rockon:

Go far enough north and you will encounter the 103 foot tall Mount Royal Cross on top of Mount Royal, Montreal Canada. The top of Mount Royal is 819 feet above the St. Lawrence River. It has been a landmark since 1924 and aviators can see it from many miles away.

...but it don't say nuthin' 'bout Jesus on it!
I DID forget about that one though.
It'd be a hit down hyar!

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
Spudnuts were brought up in this thread way back. The current owner of Spudnuts is from a city within an hour or so of here. We happened to be there yesterday and I snapped this photo on the way by. We did not have time to stop then and alas they were closed on our return so I have no review on the product for you. I believe that they are currently trying to get franchises going, but have no idea what success they are having.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Alright, let me preface this by saying it is not a push for religion, it is about a physical site in CT I knew in my youth & then it wasn't religious it was just built in small scale site that are linked to Christianity.

holy-land-usa-waterbury Talks about how it was abandoned & possibly haunted.

holylandwaterbury.com Currently being brought back.

The most remembered & iconic part of this place was the original cross & how it was lite up & such. I haven't been back, I'm finding a lot of my old stomping grounds hard to revisit. Hard in that they bring back good memories but bad in seeing how they are being destroyed.

Oh well, thought with the discussion about the south being changed this would be interesting. I'm not a Christian, nor of any of the "major" religions so not trying to push anything, so no beatings, kay? :p

plain old dave

A-List Customer
.22s and pistol shells in the cardboard boxes with half of them with the case heads up and half of them with the bullets up.

IRT dial phones, a good friend of mine had, near as we can tell, the last dial phone in the ENTIRE Highland Telephone Cooperative. Couple years ago, they started sending him letters saying they needed to talk to him about some "urgent matter", but thinking they were sharking him for something, he ignored the first few contacts. Finally, he called them and they told him they were getting ready to do away with rotary service. He refused to give up his "bought and paid for" rotary phone for a few months, and only gave it up when the company GAVE him a touch tone phone. Friends, you ain't HEARD angry til you've heard somebody out in the country rail about having to give up something that's working perfectly to rent a thing that does the same thing. This is the same fellow that still deer hunts with Golden Age rifles like Winchester 71s and Remington Model 14s.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
.22s and pistol shells in the cardboard boxes with half of them with the case heads up and half of them with the bullets up.

IRT dial phones, a good friend of mine had, near as we can tell, the last dial phone in the ENTIRE Highland Telephone Cooperative. Couple years ago, they started sending him letters saying they needed to talk to him about some "urgent matter", but thinking they were sharking him for something, he ignored the first few contacts. Finally, he called them and they told him they were getting ready to do away with rotary service. He refused to give up his "bought and paid for" rotary phone for a few months, and only gave it up when the company GAVE him a touch tone phone. Friends, you ain't HEARD angry til you've heard somebody out in the country rail about having to give up something that's working perfectly to rent a thing that does the same thing. This is the same fellow that still deer hunts with Golden Age rifles like Winchester 71s and Remington Model 14s.

I have a Winchester 86 45-70 made in 1889, that has taken plenty of deer and elk over the years. If it ain't broke!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen