Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of driving and hand placement and vintage things that have disappeared ...

When I was a teenager, I drove a '62 Plymouth (no power steering and no seat belts). When dating, I NEVER had both hands on the wheel. :)

Are there any new cars with bench seats, or have those disappeared? I'm sure you can't put a "necking knob" on the steering wheel of a new car. What are young dating people supposed to do these days? There was nothing like taking a tight curve in that old '62 and having your girl slide across the seat and into your arm. That used to be called "opportunity corner." Yep, there sure is a lot that has disappeared.

I can see it now, "knecker knob", arm around his favorite girl, and texting!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Shame Kyle Busch couldn't do that for his legs. Meh not like I haven't broken my wrists before by being struck by a Lincoln Towncar so I'll risk it if I'm ever in an accident in my ranger pickup. Might keep me off my computer for awhile, ehh maybe I'll just dig out my old copy of dragon speak instead. LOL

I still am paying the price with my wrist from 17 years ago! Usual story, 17 year old broke up with his girl friend, got drunk, plowed into me, my car did a 180, I tried to save it, bad idea, when I went up on the median, the wheel was ripped from my hands, got my left shoulder good to!

Driving a car with your hands at ten and two on the steering wheel. I was taught to drive that way, I've been driving that way for almost forty years, and now I find out I'm doing it all wrong. You're now supposed to drive with your hands at eight and four. Which is uncomfortable and clumsy for me, and I refuse to do it. So there.
I was told by a retired Highway Patrol officer that the conventional "wisdom" is to hold the wheel at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions.

Did it change to eight and four because of airbags?
Yes. The aforementioned Highway Patrol officer said it was because "the research" showed that a deploying steering wheel airbag would force your hands off of the steering wheel if they were at 10:00 and 2:00 and you would have no control over the vehicle at that point; the chances of that happening are far less if your hands are at 9:00 and 3:00. Of course, if the accident is bad enough you probably wouldn't have control of the vehicle anyway, but that didn't seem to concern him.

Is that 9 and 3 on DST...[huh]
Yes, but only on alternate Thursdays spelled with a "Q".

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Capital letters online! Seems like every one just types in lower case. Except for the political rants, then, it's all capitals all the time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fred Allen, the radio comedian, was an early proponent of all-lower-case typing. He wrote all his letters on an old Corona portable typewriter with a broken shift key. When asked why, he replied "i've never been able to shift for myself."

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Wooden salad bowls. I bought a set in a thrift store. Haven't seen them in years. Are they still a thing? Wooden salad bowls and giant wooden fork and spoon used to be the height of sophistication at dinner parties according to fifties womens magazines.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wooden salad bowls. I bought a set in a thrift store. Haven't seen them in years. Are they still a thing? Wooden salad bowls and giant wooden fork and spoon used to be the height of sophistication at dinner parties according to fifties womens magazines.

Yes they are still being made, but they are not very cheep these days. On our tourist trap street, they are all around, advertised as hand made, I wonder?

hatguy1

One Too Many
I was told by a retired Highway Patrol officer that the conventional "wisdom" is to hold the wheel at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions.

Yes. The aforementioned Highway Patrol officer said it was because "the research" showed that a deploying steering wheel airbag would force your hands off of the steering wheel if they were at 10:00 and 2:00 and you would have no control over the vehicle at that point; the chances of that happening are far less if your hands are at 9:00 and 3:00. Of course, if the accident is bad enough you probably wouldn't have control of the vehicle anyway, but that didn't seem to concern him.Q".

Hmmmm. I took drivers ed long before their were automobile airbags and they were teaching 9 and 3 o'clock positions back then. I think it had
something to do with maximizing potential for turn response in either direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm. I took drivers ed long before their were automobile airbags and they were teaching 9 and 3 o'clock positions back then. I think it had
something to do with maximizing potential for turn response in either direction.
Interesting. I took drivers ed long before airbags as well, and was instructed to use the "10 and 2" hand positions. Not that it matters much, because I don't know anyone who rigidly adheres to a specific hand position while driving; everyone I know just grabs the steering wheel in whatever position is most comfortable at that moment. lol

Interesting. I took drivers ed long before airbags as well, and was instructed to use the "10 and 2" hand positions. Not that it matters much, because I don't know anyone who rigidly adheres to a specific hand position while driving; everyone I know just grabs the steering wheel in whatever position is most comfortable at that moment. lol

I usually drive cars from the 1950s and most of them have spokes at the 9 and 3 positions so it is comfortable that way. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner