Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

3fingers

One Too Many
Their mission statement must be "There's a sucker born every minute." I fully admit this is coming from my blue-collar mindset, but anyone foolish enough to spend $10 for a lousy chocolate bar deserves to get ripped off.
I agree. I often think of my grandfather when I see things like that.
Of course he also would not have ever considered paying $1.89 for a pint of water from the gas station either.

I’ve never understood the appeal of Necco wafers. I think they’re awful. They were the Halloween candy you threw out. But I can appreciate appreciating them, and I’m glad they’ll stick around for those that do. I like circus peanuts though. Mrs Hawk loses her lunch at the site and thought of marshmallow peeps. Everybody gotta be somewhere.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Everything vintage that I love has disappeared in my lifetime...everything ok?

what's the point? I mean what is the point asking?

all is gone.

I agree. I often think of my grandfather when I see things like that.
Of course he also would not have ever considered paying $1.89 for a pint of water from the gas station either.
My dad and father-in-law were both born in 1913, and if they were alive today they would probably have difficulty with the concept of paying for a bottle of water. I can hear them now: "We already pay the city for water. If you're thirsty, get it from the tap."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't know if it's just a natural consequence of aging or what, but I find that tap water gives me chronic heartburn -- probably whatever our fine city adds to it to kill the spirochetes or something. My solution is not to buy bottled water, but instead, to glean the theatre after a show. Someone's always paid $2 for a bottle of water at the concession stand and then left it sitting in the cup-holder without even opening it. Score!

3fingers

One Too Many
I don't know if it's just a natural consequence of aging or what, but I find that tap water gives me chronic heartburn -- probably whatever our fine city adds to it to kill the spirochetes or something. My solution is not to buy bottled water, but instead, to glean the theatre after a show. Someone's always paid $2 for a bottle of water at the concession stand and then left it sitting in the cup-holder without even opening it. Score!
You might try a Brita filter pitcher. We have had one for years and they do work. There are other brands as well, but Brita is available at most stores. You can get 40 or more gallons out of a filter depending on what is in the water.

It's $4.19 for for a 20oz Dasani bottle of water in NYC at the theater (as I made note of it when I saw "Sunset Boulevard" a week or so ago).

You might try a Brita filter pitcher. We have had one for years and they do work. There are other brands as well, but Brita is available at most stores. You can get 40 or more gallons out of a filter depending on what is in the water.
I grew up on a farm where we had, and still have, a well. When I first sampled my water here in town, it tasted like bleach to me. A Brita filter was an easy fix for that problem.

We use the Brita filter too - not insanely expensive and the tap water does taste better that way. That said, we are not strict about it and do drink from the tap sometimes, cook with it, etc., but the taste is definitely improved after filtering.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
c78ada21ba4f06825a3eae61b6da1ba6.jpg

Mineral Wells.
Drinking "Crazy Water" thought to be a cure all of the times.
People came from all over to drink the healing power of the mineral water. :p

Last edited:
On the East Coast, one of the places people would go "for the waters" (both bathing and drinking - hopefully, not the same water at the same time) was Saratoga Springs.

We've gone up there a bunch over the years and have seen or tasted the water at over half of the springs in the link below. The range in flavor is huge from revoltingly sulfuric to incredibly fresh and fizzy.

https://www.saratoga.com/things-to-do/parks-landmarks-nature/mineral-springs/

img030.jpg 1408452171300.jpeg 1408452195293.jpeg

I grew up on a farm where we had, and still have, a well. When I first sampled my water here in town, it tasted like bleach to me. A Brita filter was an easy fix for that problem.

My well water at the ranch tastes like old nails. So I buy drinking water. I have one of those water coolers that takes the 5-gallon jugs. I could get a treatment unit, but don’t use it it enough to justify.

3fingers

One Too Many
There was a place near here called Vishnu Springs that was popular in the late 19th and early 20th century. The owner was a promoter who built up a small town around the springs and people came from all over for the "healing restorative powers" available there. It became a hippie camp in the '60's and they burnt down or destroyed a lot of it. The hotel building is still standing I believe, but the rest is gone.

There was a place near here called Vishnu Springs that was popular in the late 19th and early 20th century. The owner was a promoter who built up a small town around the springs and people came from all over for the "healing restorative powers" available there. It became a hippie camp in the '60's and they burnt down or destroyed a lot of it. The hotel building is still standing I believe, but the rest is gone.
Down in French Lick, Indiana there was Pluto water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_Water

So, seemingly, from the late 1900s up until about WWII, there was a cultural moment for all these regional waters along with a focus on water's health benefits.

Then, for about forty or so years after the war, tap water was fine (for most), until, in a neat historical iteration, at about the end of the '80s, bottled water reappeared as a market and cultural force (Evian was ahead of the curve with a small but noticeable following in, from memory, the '70s on in the US).

And since then - the late '80s - we've had a bottled water renaissance including regionality and discussions of health benefits that - while different in details - is a pretty good echo of the pre-WWII bottled-water enthusiasm. As we learn time and again at FL, very little is truly new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21