Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
What will have disappeared during my lifetime, hopefully, are Ford passenger cars with combustion engines in Europe.
They announced to invest 1 Billion bucks into a German assembly plant and to swap their entire passenger car portfolio to electrical powered engines by 2030.

Your post reminded me of this picture. Electric vehicle being changed with internal combustion engine generator. :)

F591A508-610E-4FAC-9FF8-6A8157FB1165.jpg

Steven

Galvanized steel garbage cans.

They haven’t disappeared entirely, but for most residential uses they’ve been supplanted by wheeled plastic bins with attached lids.

I can see how steel is superior for tossing stuff that might spontaneously combust, but really, the new plastic jobs are superior in almost every other regard. They don’t rust, they don’t dent (not easily, anyway), their lids don’t blow up the street. They hold more, and they’re a helluva lot easier to move.

I predate the plastic kitchen garbage bag, as most here do, so I suspect that several among us were assigned the chore of cleaning the garbage receptacles. Nasty, nasty job that was. Those plastic garbage bags are worth every penny.

Last edited:

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Galvanized steel garbage cans.

They haven’t disappeared entirely, but for most residential uses they’ve been supplanted by wheeled plastic bins with attached lids.

I can see how steel is superior for tossing stuff that might spontaneously combust, but really, the new plastic jobs are superior in almost every other regard. They don’t rust, they don’t dent (not easily, anyway), their lids don’t blow up the street. They hold more, and they’re a helluva lot easier to move.

I predate the plastic kitchen garbage bag, as most here do, so I suspect that several others here were assigned the chore or cleaning the garbage receptacles. Nasty, nasty job that was. Those plastic garbage bags are worth every penny.

Galvanized trash cans are now only good for Oscar the Grouch.
298AE04F-7933-4D8C-B1F7-99ADFF4FDCA5.jpg

Steven

Haversack

One Too Many
One of my household chores growing up was to line the family galvanized trashcan with newspaper after the garbagemen had been by. It kept the can from developing that lovely black liquid at the bottom that is reminiscent of Fernet Branca.

And if it weren't for galvanized trashcans we would never have had the following dance:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I still use a galvanized can for my actual garbage, because the big plastic ones won't fit in my garage with the car. We don't have garbage pickup here unless you hire a private company to do it, so when it gets so I can't jam the cover down tight I have to take it all to the dump myself. Which isn't anywhere near the joyous experience it used to be sincve they shut down the "swap shop" because two angry dump pickers got into a brawl there over some item they both wanted. There were times I'd bring back more stuff than I threw away.

My kitchen garbage can, meanwhile is an old 120-lb Texaco gear oil drum that's been in the family since I was a kid.

Subcultures around the teens. Like Emo, Cosplayer or whatever.

It seems to me, that since the kids and teens all went Youtube, there are no more classic subcultures around them. All living mainstream. But I of course know, that the therm "Generation Mainstream" is already there for a while.

^^^^
Soap on a rope?

That made a brief appearance in my world I wanna say 53 years ago or so. It was the sort of thing you’d get in a gift box, along with the cologne or aftershave or whatever.

Misty-eyed nostalgic that I am notwithstanding, fond memories of holiday seasons from my early years do not include soap on a rope. And that’s not due to any unfamiliarity with soap on a rope.

Last edited:
Today of course the concept has taken on a whole new tone...

https://www.uspatriottactical.com/duke-cannon-tactical-soap-on-a-rope-pouch/TACTICAL6.html

And I fear the difference between this concept, and an Avon-box soap-on-a-rope is the sad difference between the 20th century and the 21st.

Now we know what to give our coworker under that draw-a-name holiday gift exchange (which is entirely voluntary, of course, just like that heat we don’t feel to contribute to United Way).

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hahaha, how true!

Wonder if there’s a „tactical“ towel for a 21st century’s Holy Ghost out there meanwhile.
Today of course the concept has taken on a whole new tone...

https://www.uspatriottactical.com/duke-cannon-tactical-soap-on-a-rope-pouch/TACTICAL6.html

And I fear the difference between this concept, and an Avon-box soap-on-a-rope is the sad difference between the 20th century and the 21st.

Naturlich Turnip, aber das ist kolt. ;)

Field hygiene, cleanse, shaving, etc is a mercurial by the moment thing. Endometriosis, malarial, other on
the fly recommend non bathing; especially in jungle. Epithelial issues and armor piercing fly bite rounds
can partially be offset by skin crust allow or even dirt smear across exposed skin. But in areas where normal
field standards permit this tactical pouch is a great improve over plastic soap container.

The 20th Century sadly was a tragic slaughterhouse....o_O

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Very true. The 20th Century had many millions of people who had fought in wars and wished they hadn't. The 21st Century has many millions of people who haven't fought in wars and wish they had.

Please pardon my previous quip, didn't mean it to be so pointed.

A wide traverse, the second part above, a bit too broad a brush of cynicism perhaps?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Not really, just a critique of the hyper-miltarism common among a certain subset of the modern American male, who fights his wars with a keyboard while slavering over pictures of "tactical toothbrushes" and the like. I never knew any men like this when I was young, probably because they'd actually been to war and knew what it meant -- and had no interesting in fetishizing it.

The example I always think of is my mother's late Gentleman Friend, a fellow who was probably the love of her life. He'd fought in WWII as a twenty-year-old boy, and while serving in the ETO he became involved in a one-on-one situation with a German soldier about his own age, and he shot and killed that soldier. He knew that's what happens in wars, and he knew why WWII was fought and why he was in it. But for the rest of his life he was tormented by the fact that he had killed somone's son -- and he recoiled at anything "military" as a result of that. And he didn't have an awful lot of use for preening civilians decking themselves out in "tactical gear" and cosplaying as "patriots" or "citizen soldiers" in that way that's become distressingly common over the last couple of decades.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Certainly valid points. I must admit to being aware of this particular substratum; recent events
forced further front burner notice, but overall little thought given said. Advertisement box store fliers tucked
inside newspapers hawking; among other useless stuff, war videos, I always considered sadly disturbing.

Applying the broad brush here, the infoentertainmedia with attractive women who sing off script,
non-reporter anchormen, rude jackals packed at presidential pressers, societal embrace of all things real
or imagined systemic ad nauseam all play part-and-parcel collective. Attribute cause, rhyme, or reason
whatever to all the smorgasbord, its all the same kit and kaboodle whatever the cause, rhyme, rhythym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner