Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Especially since I learn today that benefits will likely be cut the year I intended to begin collecting them, if I live that long. Life is swell.

Social Security scares notwithstanding, payments will still be shelled out. What the news reports
fail to mention is hyper currency inflation wrought by congressional irresponsibility and the devastating
effect profligacy inflate inflicts over time on actual dollar value. Retirement for many will prove an unrealized
expectation.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Social Security scares notwithstanding, payments will still be shelled out.

Hard to say. Who knows what could happen as political winds blow. Unfortunately, for some of us, Social Security may be our only income as we stop earning income. Not everybody has an investment portfolio, rental property, company pension, 401K, IRA, et cetera. Anyone who lives from paycheck to paycheck will not have much in savings, and maybe nothing in savings. The next consideration for retirement is healthcare coverage. What happens when you leave your place of employment, and no longer have the employer's healthcare plan? Or when you can no longer care for yourself, and require some sort of assistance?

Hard to say. Who knows what could happen as political winds blow. Unfortunately, for some of us, Social Security may be our only income as we stop earning income. Not everybody has an investment portfolio, rental property, company pension, 401K, IRA, et cetera. Anyone who lives from paycheck to paycheck will not have much in savings, and maybe nothing in savings. The next consideration for retirement is healthcare coverage. What happens when you leave your place of employment, and no longer have the employer's healthcare plan? Or when you can no longer care for yourself, and require some sort of assistance?
How does Medicaid work for the elderly in the US? Are the elderly covered by Government automatically or do they have to continue to purchase coverage after retirement?

Fifty150

One Too Many
How does Medicaid work

That is something that is almost impossible to answer with a short reply. You could read for hours. Maybe days.

upload_2021-9-1_22-6-36.png

How does Medicaid work for the elderly in the US? Are the elderly covered by Government automatically or do they have to continue to purchase coverage after retirement?

Medicare is the program for us old people. It’s not the same program as Medicaid, which covers younger people and people with disabilities. Some people have dual eligibility.

Going into greater detail, I fear, would quickly steer us into forbidden territory, as politics is certainly wrapped up in it.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Medicare is the program for us old people. It’s not the same program as Medicaid, which covers younger people and people with disabilities. Some people have dual eligibility.

You never know what could change. The program may be refunded entirely. Or it could be reimagined. In it's present state, very few people are content.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
The answer is, "yes".

Here's a link to a web site which describes Medicare (a program for those older folk like me) and Medicaid (a program for poor people). Because these two groups are not mutually exclusive, poor old folks can have both kinds. It gets complicated because Medicaid is a program administered and partially financed by each state where Medicare is a program of the federal government.
https://www.uhccommunityplan.com/dual-eligible/eligibility/medicaid-medicare-have-both

The answer is, "yes".

Here's a link to a web site which describes Medicare (a program for those older folk like me) and Medicaid (a program for poor people). Because these two groups are not mutually exclusive, poor old folks can have both kinds. It gets complicated because Medicaid is a program administered and partially financed by each state where Medicare is a program of the federal government.
https://www.uhccommunityplan.com/dual-eligible/eligibility/medicaid-medicare-have-both
Yes, the US system is a bit of a maze to me. Our Canadian health care system is administered by the Provinces but funded by the Federal gov't and compared to the US is much more straightforward.

Here are two things I keep around that you hardly ever see in the household anymore though I grew up with a malt mixer in our house......

Patent dated 1934 "MIXALL" cocktail mixer......
1661609907710.png

and my No. 22 GILCHRIST patent dated 1923 and made before 1926.
1661609816709.png

BOTH still running just fine......:)

Attachments

• 1661609713910.png
    1661609713910.png
    811.6 KB · Views: 41
Yes, the US system is a bit of a maze to me. Our Canadian health care system is administered by the Provinces but funded by the Federal gov't and compared to the US is much more straightforward.
That's because the criminals responsible for health care here in the U.S. spend more time diverting and stealing the funding rather than simply distributing is as they're supposed to.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I found myself walking around the house last night trying to spot things that were older than the late Queen. The house itself, for one, the clock on the mantel for another, quite a few books, a pump organ, my grandmother's breadboard, my box Brownie, a cigar box full of random coins, and my fossil trilobite. Everything else I own is now experiencing its first day in a post Elizabeth Windsor world.

I found myself walking around the house last night trying to spot things that were older than the late Queen. The house itself, for one, the clock on the mantel for another, quite a few books, a pump organ, my grandmother's breadboard, my box Brownie, a cigar box full of random coins, and my fossil trilobite. Everything else I own is now experiencing its first day in a post Elizabeth Windsor world.

This has nothing to do with the Queen, but the fact that you keep a trilobite around warms my heart.

This has nothing to do with the Queen, but the fact that you keep a trilobite around warms my heart.
I was wondering if the DISCOVERY of that particular trilobite was made before the queen??;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ