Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

harty

New in Town
Didn't read the whole thread, but pizzarias are really dissappearing. Either a pizza place is delivery only or a buffet. Not like the "old days" where you would sit down with your friends, order a pitcher of beer, and have a great evening out.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Didn't read the whole thread, but pizzarias are really dissappearing. Either a pizza place is delivery only or a buffet. Not like the "old days" where you would sit down with your friends, order a pitcher of beer, and have a great evening out.

One of the joys of my childhood was a family-run pizzeria over in the next town -- it was a real treat when we'd go over there and have a pizza night. I was fascinated by the pictures on the wall, which were various shots of the owner's family competing in bowling tournaments c. 1950. No marketing-dictated theme decor, no high-concept place-product-packaging, just a simple, sincere place to have a good meal.

(Interesting random pizza fact: Maine was one of the first US locations outside of New York where pizza became popular. It was being sold at various restaurants in Lewiston as early as 1936, at 10 cents a slice. "Pizza -- A Delicious Italian Tomato Pie!" said the ads. )

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I've been in a few pizzerias. They're out there, you just have to look for them. There was one in Wilton Manors, FL that I really liked. Beer in those red plastic pitchers, candles with that "netting" over the glass. It was a hole in the wall between a pawnshop and a little grocery. Great place! Haven't looked yet, but I'm sure the Nashville area has

JimWagner

Practically Family
Pizza places where you can sit down and order a pizza are all over the place here still. Maybe not to the degree that Mexican restaurants are these days, but still pretty common.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've never been a fan of black or stainless appliances. My grandparents had copper-colored appliances when I was a pup, though.

They had copper colored appliances??? (Scrambles off to to find pictures- I love the look of copper!)

I personally like the dark brown and avocado appliances in the right kitchen (not a fan of harvest gold). A lot of those appliances were workhorses, I had a great dark brown GE pushbutton stove from the 1970s in my last apartment. But my current obsession is to someday have a 1950s 60" candy-red stove, but I need the kitchen to fit it in.

I love all those old colors on appliances. I asked if I could paint my stove and fridge avocado (I have an automotive paint sprayer) but was given a blunt 'no' lol

They had copper colored appliances??? (Scrambles off to to find pictures- I love the look of copper!)

I personally like the dark brown and avocado appliances in the right kitchen (not a fan of harvest gold). A lot of those appliances were workhorses, I had a great dark brown GE pushbutton stove from the 1970s in my last apartment. But my current obsession is to someday have a 1950s 60" candy-red stove, but I need the kitchen to fit it in.

appliance_colors_2.jpg It was called coppertone back then. Jenn Aire makes them in "bronze" now.

appliance_colors_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters