Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

And when the blame is justified, there's about 10 fingers pointing back at you.

Somewhat related to not taking responsibility, my favourite is when someone will do you a favour, and some time later throw it back in your face as if you were taking advantage.

Yes, graciously helping another without holding it over their head is definitley something that needs to be more prolific.:eusa_doh::rolleyes: Counting coup is just ridiculous---give them the sword I say. :p

And when the blame is justified, there's about 10 fingers pointing back at you.

Somewhat related to not taking responsibility, my favourite is when someone will do you a favour, and some time later throw it back in your face as if you were taking advantage.

No good deed goes unpunished...

PoohBang

Suspended
Before anyone argues, "why don't we bless anyone after they cough?" I say if you want to do it, then bless to your heart's content.

If a teacher tried to take 25 pts. off my son's grade for being polite I'd put my foot up a not so polite place..

I always thought it was said because the heart does stop when you sneeze. I don't think anything happens when you cough, unless of course you have your head turned. So I've never actually heard anyone say that where I come from when you cough. Do they where you live?

Isn't the trouble the faith based website story talked about was with the phrase, "God Bless You"?

Seems people are leaving the first word off when discussing this. I see it as two separate terms.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well when I sneeze, I try hard to let everyone know to "stand back, please"as I can really sneeze!

On the topic of strike anywhere matches, I never have that worry, I have a Zippo!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I always thought it was said because the heart does stop when you sneeze. I don't think anything happens when you cough, unless of course you have your head turned. So I've never actually heard anyone say that where I come from when you cough. Do they where you live?

Isn't the trouble the faith based website story talked about was with the phrase, "God Bless You"?

Seems people are leaving the first word off when discussing this. I see it as two separate terms.

The GBY is an encouragement for the heart to continue beating. Up until fairly recently, religion was a centerpiece of most people's lives.

Some other 'ancient' reasons for the GBY have to do with your soul leaving the body, expulsion of an evil spirit from the body, or of the sneezer having the plague. The GBY was an effort to help rid the body of disease.

For me, it's just a polite thing to do. And I don't even know why.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
"Good Bye" is a contraction of "God be with you." Should we next stop saying that?

No. I understand the majority of people in general may have an issue about the topic of God or prayer or saying God Bless you or be with you. I have no problem saying a prayer in a eating place while out to dinner, and in fact, I stand up and bless the entire place, my food, YOUR food and ask the Lord to bless the food so that it may give health, spiritual uplifting and healing for those that may be in need of it, and that everyone can be kept safe from harm or accident, and then I may ask for something in that blessing more personal, for myself, my Wife or family.

To date, not one time has anyone got into it with me while doing so, and I have had some thank me later for thinking of them, as they sat at the table across from mine.

I do not care if a person believes in God or not, and for me, I do. For anyone that would want to sue me, or say I cannot say a prayer, too bad, I do! I will until I am toes up, too!

TidiousTed

Practically Family
How about "gesundheit?" Or would he say that was being a Nazi? :p

A lot of people in Norway actually say "gesundheit" still after 5 years of Nazi occupation in WWII. Strange as we have never had as much to do with Germany as the other two Scandinavian countries. Our bonds has always been with England. A Norwegian version of "God bless you" have never been used as far as I know.

Nobert

Practically Family
The GBY is an encouragement for the heart to continue beating. Up until fairly recently, religion was a centerpiece of most people's lives.

Some other 'ancient' reasons for the GBY have to do with your soul leaving the body, expulsion of an evil spirit from the body, or of the sneezer having the plague. The GBY was an effort to help rid the body of disease.

For me, it's just a polite thing to do. And I don't even know why.

Well, here's one thing that has stayed into my lifetime, although just barely: regional differences. I was born in the midwest and raised in New England, so most everyone I have ever known says "God Bless You" or "Bless You" after a sneeze. My mother grew up in a German community in Oklahoma, and I have always used "Gesundheit." Partly by habit, but also, it's just a really fun word to say.

I have a friend who always helps me out, when I need it. It comes at a price though, he pats himself on the back for it through all of eternity.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have a friend who always helps me out, when I need it. It comes at a price though, he pats himself on the back for it through all of eternity.

Which makes you wary (and weary) of accepting his help, I bet.

My brother is the king of this. He once filled up my car with gas when I was short of money; I hadn't asked him to, tried to pay him back, and in the end thanked him profusely. The other night, he asks to borrow my car for a long-ish trip, even though he owns his own perfect working truck. I refused, and all of a sudden it's funny how I didn't mind riding around on his dime, and just to wait until my engine needs repair. I'm still wondering why I didn't deck him.

I hate it when that happens. My friend Jesse always helps us out with car repairs. Then when you upset him he always says 'see if I ever help you fix a car again.' He stopped after I told him I'm perfectly capable on my own, he just helps speed up the process. I am needing to replace a wheel bearing on my Mercury soon and will not be asking his assistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn