Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We used tractor tires as planters. They make really good strawberry planters. You can even put a smaller tire in the middle for a tiered effect.

Also, tractor tires are the *best sandboxes ever.* Just in case you were wondering.

I haven't seen one of those in a long time, further indicating the erosion of my traditional native culture by the foreign ways of the transplants.

From my experience here, you haven't seen anything yet. They managed to screw up this state worse than we could possibly imagine way back when. Everyone here is now from somewhere else and they never left somewhere else behind them---especially all the bad things. :eusa_doh:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Regarding talk radio: I used to occasionally listen to it in the 70s and parts of the 80s, here in southern California. There seemed to be quite a variety of hosts and their viewpoints, from George Putnam to Michael Jackson (not the pop star, but the English interviewer of celebrities and politicians), and others. I haven't listened to talk radio in a long time because for me there was never any resolution to whatever issue which was under discussion. The host could offer a question or name a situation in current politics, and if someone called in within the first three minutes with a clear, comprehensive, and rational solution to the issue, the host still had hours to fill so he or she would keep taking calls as though the question were still undecided.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Civility. In the form of privacy and independence. I am becoming alarmed at the growing oppression of the internet and I am slowly coming around to the notion the internet is actually a very dangerous proposition. At this point I'm wondering how I can dispense with it to get back to a normal life.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
That's just depressing.

That's what happened to the Hiway 39 Drive In that was in Westminster, CA.

Then
highway39-drive-in.jpg

Now
(The Lowe's store is no longer there)
6314581.JPG

rjb1

Practically Family
I like your word choice...
(Are you referring to the same word/concept as described in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"? As I interpret it I think the author was getting at the same idea.)

Maltese

One of the Regulars
Coke vending machines with glass bottles

Think the last time I saw one was back in the early 80's when I was a kid .

Don't care what anyone says it TASTED BETTER ! lol

It's hard for someone making $7 an hour to have pride in what they do. Also, people have just gotten lazy, and corporations have figured out that planned obsolescence makes more money than making a damn fine product

I think auto workers make more than that. :p I won't even try to tell you how many things I had to have fixed at the dealership with my new car....:mad: Lazy? No pride? YES!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I think auto workers make more than that. :p I won't even try to tell you how many things I had to have fixed at the dealership with my new car....:mad: Lazy? No pride? YES!
The makes and models I could tell you about, based on what I do at work.
In a 12yr period of time, I've noticed the quality going down.
Just by looking at one vehicle, compared to a newer one on the lot.
Although I do have to say the new Ford Escape surprises me.
At least on this years model, quality seems to have returned.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Civility. In the form of privacy and independence. I am becoming alarmed at the growing oppression of the internet and I am slowly coming around to the notion the internet is actually a very dangerous proposition. At this point I'm wondering how I can dispense with it to get back to a normal life.

The UN recently backed "internet access" and "freedom" as a human right. It took one year to get the resolution passed, thanks to the support of businesses like Facebook critics state. (Interestingly enough, Facebook is popular in many countries with high illiteracy rates even among the illiterate who "like" things they can't even read.) One can see how so many companies are pushing for further access to put ads in front of these people, while most digital and internet scholars are upset that basic digital literacy wasn't considered an important part of this right. The initiatives all focus on pushing for access and increased infrastructure, ignoring the fact that swathes of people in many countries cannot even read the content being pushed at them, and also ignoring the need to teach people how to use the internet constructively in ways to better their lives (for instance, finding reliable and safe health info, finding services, building knowledge repositories of local culture, etc.).

The real kicker? Thanks to these companies pushing for "internet access" to be a human right, this resolution was passed in a year. On the other hand the resolution to make potable water a human right took *fifteen years* to pass. If that doesn't say something about the state of our societies that it's more important to commercialize and use the disadvantaged in this world than to make sure they're not poisoned by their water, I'm not sure what does.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The real kicker? Thanks to these companies pushing for "internet access" to be a human right, this resolution was passed in a year. On the other hand the resolution to make potable water a human right took *fifteen years* to pass. If that doesn't say something about the state of our societies that it's more important to commercialize and use the disadvantaged in this world than to make sure they're not poisoned by their water, I'm not sure what does.

Once again the Boys From Marketing prove there's no low too low. As if we ever doubted them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot