Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Branch banks, and physical banking locations in general.

They haven’t disappeared entirely, and it’s unlikely they will in my lifetime, but there are many more closing than opening.

Today, for the first time in a long time, I had reason to stop in at a branch bank. There was one teller at a facility that would accommodate at least 10. And not a soul at any of the dozen or so desks in the low cubicles on the other side of the building.

This. I recently had reason to go into the local branch office of "my" bank at a time of day that I would expect to have normally stood in line for a while as the other customers were assisted. However, I was one of only two customers, and bank personnel were scarce; a single Teller finally appeared from a back room to assist me. :oops: I'm not so sure there will be a return to what we remember as "normal" after all of this pandemic precautions.

… I'm not so sure there will be a return to what we remember as "normal" after all of this pandemic precautions.
It seems that the pandemic added fuel to a trend already well in motion. Digital technologies are having profound effects, many of which we’ve already witnessed, some are within our vision, and others we’re bound to be blindsided by.

In recent months I’ve read some scary predictions of what artificial intelligence has in store for us. I suppose that most of those writers are much better versed on the matter than I’ll ever be, so I don’t dismiss their concerns out of hand. But it doesn’t frighten me too terribly much. Like just about all technological advances, it should, after the initial shaking out, make our existing tasks less tedious and strenuous and eventually have us accomplishing things we scarcely would have imagined.

...In recent months I’ve read some scary predictions of what artificial intelligence has in store for us...

I have too, and the potential for crime could lead to a lot of sleepless nights. For example, with only a sample of a person's voice and the right software Artificial Intelligence can fabricate an entire conversation using that voice to "authorize" any number of things that could, potentially, financially wipe out a person or family. We, as a global society, simply aren't prepared for the levels of harm it could create.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wrigley‘s Spearmint is about to be phased out in the German market.

76e13208934382e4b0e26d9c19721eb4.jpg

I rarely see anyone in Germany making Eierkuchen (East-german for pancakes) themselves, these days.

As kid, what team were you?

-Sprinkle sugar on top and roll it - Team?
-Smear nougatcream on top - Team?

-Smear hearty stuff on top - Team?
-Team Pure?
-Team Blueberry?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24