Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
At my bank, it's nothing but plywood, drywall, smelly grey industrial carpet, screaming kids running around loose, and tellers yelling back and forth to each other about what was on TV last night. They don't even keep the deposit slips out on the writing desk anymore "for security reasons." Bah.

We have one classically-styled bank left in town, but it's been turned into yet another twee art gallery. Bah again.

That reminds me of a supposed trend in the UK for banks to become "trendy wine bars" a while back one bank made adverts of the back of this.
On a bank-related note, a local branch near me opens on a Wednesday 10:00 - 13:00 and Thursdays 11:00- 13:00. That's it. I'll try and get a pic of the opening times sign.

guellimus

New in Town
I think someone already mentioned disappearing pay phones, which makes me rather upset.
I've also noticed live commercials have become a thing of the past.
On Saturday mornings I'd always hop in my parents bed and turn on the tv, without fail, there'd always be about 3 or 4 different local companies that would do live commericials throughout the morning. Now it's all pre-recorded.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Have shoe horns disappeared? I spied some vintage ones over the weekend, and realized I hadn't seen them (the standard metal ones, sometimes printed with a shop's info) since my childhood.

guellimus

New in Town
ThesFlishThngs said:
Have shoe horns disappeared? I spied some vintage ones over the weekend, and realized I hadn't seen them (the standard metal ones, sometimes printed with a shop's info) since my childhood.

I don't think they've completely disappeared but are definitely on their way out. I haven't used one in years, but I know you can still find them if you really want one.

jwalls

Vendor
ThesFlishThngs said:
I have spent time the last week looking for a decent shoe horn. I've been forced to use a serving spoon since the last one broke.:( :(

Foofoogal

Banned
Decent television shows that one can watch as a family and be entertained. What is going on? seriously over the top now and plain not entertaining.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:

I haven't used a shoe-horn in years, but my brother uses them fairly regularly.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Lamplight said:
I haven't seen a cigarette vending machine in quite a while. That is, except the one I saw in an antique store recently.

in most places they are now illegal. too easily abused buy the kiddies, i know thats what a bunch of my friends did in highschool.

Some places have turned cigarette vending machines into art vending machines:http://www.artomat.org/

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Penny candy machines. I was with my nephew at the store and he wanted a gum ball. So I said ok and paid $.50 for one. I asked my sister about it later and all she said was "where have you been"

Foofoogal said:
Decent television shows that one can watch as a family and be entertained. What is going on? seriously over the top now and plain not entertaining.

We need something in prime time that not a crass substitution for:
The Ed Sullivan Show
The Red Skellton Show
The Dean Martin Variety Hour
The Merv Griffin Show.

Sad to say but homemade family dinners. (I think that concept is vintage) I know theres still people who cook, but mostly its all about McDonalds and microwaves. It's not even just about the food, but the family values seem to be fading away too...aparently there being replaced by fast food places and people who eat in the car on the go. What ever happened to making an apple pie using your great grandmother's recepie?

I had a Pay-Phone conversation today at work. We have a pay phone in the vestibule at work. Somebody was completely shocked and told me we must have the only one in a 5 mile radius.

And also, we do carry shoe-horns here as well!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
VintageGirl143 said:
Sad to say but homemade family dinners. (I think that concept is vintage) I know theres still people who cook, but mostly its all about McDonalds and microwaves. It's not even just about the food, but the family values seem to be fading away too...aparently there being replaced by fast food places and people who eat in the car on the go. What ever happened to making an apple pie using your great grandmother's recepie?

Remarkably enough, the Hoods are in "time for a new look at the budget" mode, and one of the first modifications was more at home meals. Mrs. Hood, being an outstanding cook, makes this not a sacrifice but a pleasure.

Her mom was raised on a North Dakota farm, and all Mrs. H's receipes tend to reflect that heritage.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Telephones with the circular dial....where here in the UK, the emergency number 999 took the longest time to dial !

Erm.. design flaw....

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
"BO,NO,MO. Bonomo." Bonomo's Turkish taffy. Smack it and crack it. Lightning bolt in the jaw if a piece of foil was overlooked and hit a filling.
Cylindrical bread so the lunch meat would better fit. Short lived and no big surprise to anyone.
Tom D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy