Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Travesty: Beware or this could be your City:

carter

I'll Lock Up
donCarlos said:
But the buildings are not going to be demolished, are they?

I have one more:

Abandoned train station in Abkhazia (it´s hard to believe that it´s in Russia):
http://englishrussia.com/?p=2035
donCarlos, Thanks for posting that link. The abandoned train station is lovely even though it's filled with rubble. Those pictures are hauntingly beautiful.

BTW, Abkhazia is not part of Russia. It borders Russia and is a separatist territory of Georgia. It has been declared an unsafe travel region since the mid-90's as a result of separatist conflict with Georgia and the lack of any stable governing body. There are only two border crossings into Abkhazia; one in Russia which is heavily controlled and one in Georgia which is virtually shut-down.
It's a beautiful sub-tropical area on the Black Sea but it's not the safest of destinations.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I apologize for the reference but this slideshow reminds me of the recent game Fallout 3. I've been playing that recently and finding myself troubled by the prospect of a United States in utter ruins.

Looking at these pictures is haunting. I think the US has lived very many years as a strong, healthy, seemingly-invincible place and is only just now beginning to realize its vulnerability.

shakeshead

I hope, in a very selfish way, that I do not live to see my town, or our entire society, in this shape.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It's sad to see those beautiful old buildings in such a state of decay. However, there are at least two parts of the problem: Detroit is built on a commodity industry (cars), and there's too much crime. At a minimum, those problems have to be solved to give investors a reason to restore or rebuild anything.

Tophat Dan

New in Town
Yep....

And if the City could manage to find a mayor that wasn't such an obviously crooked thug......Man I'm glad Kilpatrick is gone.

Here's something else worth saving in Detroit. If you're into old military stuff, have a look at the save Fort Wayne home page here:
http://www.savefortwayne.org/

As a re-enactor, I've spent several nights in the Fort. It's a really great place when they can open it up, but things look worse every year.
It was built in the late 1700's on the waterfront and then reinforced during the war of 1812 and the civil war. Everyone in Michigan who was drafted or entered the army from the civil war to Vietnam passed through it at some point or another. Was owned by the army all the way up into the seventies when it was turned into a museum. Funding for the museum was cut in the very early ninety's, and the fort has sat, falling in on on itself, ever since. It is estimated that it would take twenty million dollars to completely preserve it, so I'm just enjoying it while it lasts.

Dan

donCarlos

Practically Family
carter said:
BTW, Abkhazia is not part of Russia. It borders Russia and is a separatist territory of Georgia. It has been declared an unsafe travel region since the mid-90's as a result of separatist conflict with Georgia and the lack of any stable governing body. There are only two border crossings into Abkhazia; one in Russia which is heavily controlled and one in Georgia which is virtually shut-down.
It's a beautiful sub-tropical area on the Black Sea but it's not the safest of destinations.[/FONT]
The one time I´m too lazy to google all the information and this happens lol

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
This is one of the most depressing threads I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it seems most average people simply aren't interested in preserving old things, buildings or otherwise. America is especially obsessed with the latest, most modern, most flashy whatever, and we too often view old things in a negative way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran