Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage WW2 Mustaches

cco23i

A-List Customer
Story said:
rofl.gif
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

HUH? Sorry, never took french, too busy fixin' airplanes!:D

Scott

Edward_Lindey

One of the Regulars
cco23i said:
The "bomber guy" was actually one of the lead welders for the unit and grew out his beard. If anyone complained he wouldn't do any work or not do his best, so supervisors said he could keep it as long as he stayed out of site and did his job.

Scott

I thought that guy look like maintnence. Not sure what it is but we can usualy spot each other.

Edward

cco23i

A-List Customer
I agree Edward, seems all of us ground crew can spot each other a mile away and always stick up for each other.:D Take care brother!

Scott

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I gotta agree...there are too many moustaches in reenacting. I mean...GIs shaved their mustaches almost obsessively because of fear of body parasite ie lice and ticks. But in the defense of the old stache (even tho I don't wear one) here are some interesting pictures.

GR.jpg

H%20Crow%20741st.jpg

6-19-2009%202%3B49%3B10%20PM.JPG

ukali1066

Practically Family
It all depends on the era you're depicting...it is a matter of sticking to what was the overall "norm" for that period...a stereotype if you will.

A thin Errol Flynn tash is the correct look for the WW2 era....we do overlook the change of fashions in military history...being a military illustrator and modeller I do a lot of research on this.

If I was to reenact WW2 myself, having a full beard I'd stick to something where that look is correct, U boat crewman, Chindit, Long Range Desert Group...what I wouldn't do is try to be a British Para or a SS Panzer commander !

Also weight is a big stumbling block for the reenactor...people in the 40's were on average very thin, it does look a bit ridiculous when a 20 stone guy is depicting a Fallschirmjager...

cco23i

A-List Customer
As for weight, If you look at rear area troops of higher NCO ranks there are some kind of big fellows. I know ground crews were not exactly little as all the heavy work especially on bombers.

Scott

Rick

New in Town
sunglasses

:eek:fftopic: i searched...really I did for sunglasses in the search bar. Nothing. am I doing something wrong. figured this thread was along the same lines.
sorry, but please direct me.

Davep

One of the Regulars
Rick said:
: i searched...really I did for sunglasses in the search bar. Nothing. am I doing something wrong. figured this thread was along the same lines.
sorry, but please direct me.

The topic of mustaches and to an extent sunglasses was an outgrowth from people posting reenactment photographs in this thread
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=41964

Reenactors will tend to rathionalize something they want, including sunglasses and mustaches

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
cco23i said:
As for weight, If you look at rear area troops of higher NCO ranks there are some kind of big fellows. I know ground crews were not exactly little as all the heavy work especially on bombers.

Scott

Yes but as Ukali was saying it looks bloody silly having some huge, overweight bloke running around in a paratrooper uniform. I agree entirely with him, nothing looks more ridiculous than XL chaps doing pilot, combat troop, etc impressions. Damn silly.

cco23i

A-List Customer
I agree, a 500 pound paratrooper doesn't fit in. But for rear area types there are a lot of "big" fellows.

Scott

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Forget the mustaches, you're all far, far too tall! Look at that! Ridiculous! ;)

Signed,
Historical Height Hobbit

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
I am a member of a face book group called "RAF Mustache Appreciation group" associate member being Canadian. I lost my 'stache not around a year ago. Shortly after my neighbors thought that I was my girlfriends father... Consider some of the things that they may have saw us do in the yard together...

I would rather have a goatee but alas I am CAF and not to mention my trade requires a respirator often enough.

Cobden

Practically Family
I think period and nation have a lot to do with authenticity - the British Army and RAF were permitted moustaches, and were fairly common in the early war period, and became less so as the war progressed. In the Royal Navy it was full beards or nothing (permission had to be sort to stop shaving, and to start shaving if one previously had a beard) except in certain trades (RM and Stewards spring to mind.

Of course, prior to 1916, in the British Army regulations MANDATED a moustache unless youthfullness prevented such from being possible. Not observed in New Army and Territorial units, really, but certain in regular units. It was only overturned after a court martial in which a temporary officer was charged with persistantly shaving his top lip (he was an actor in civvie street and didn't want a rash when the war ended). The General overturned to guilty verdict because he hated having to wear a moustache and rescinded the order...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Opas Coat said:
I am a member of a face book group called "RAF Mustache Appreciation group" associate member being Canadian. I lost my 'stache not around a year ago. Shortly after my neighbors thought that I was my girlfriends father... Consider some of the things that they may have saw us do in the yard together...

I would rather have a goatee but alas I am CAF and not to mention my trade requires a respirator often enough.

Sad news that a new reg prohibits naval pers from wearing beards at sea - to ensure better respirator and gas mask fitting. Once again, safety trumps tradition.

Logical, yes. But still sad!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Not an expert on this myself but from personal experience I can say that on operations in tropical climates, shaving wasn't encouraged as if you cut yourself in that climate, it could go septic very quickly. Also, a beard kept some bugs off parts of your face. And it was a badge of recognition that you'd been out in the 'Ulu'.

In desert climes shaving was excused due to water restrictions and a bit of extra sun protection.

Currently in Afghanistan beards are permitted for those working with the locals as beards are a sign of manliness. In the British Army this has been closed up in the main bases but in forward Operating bases or Afghan liaison roles it is ok. Of course the SF boys can do what they like !

A couple of photos above showed Americans at Bastogne. Those guys were a long way from any 'Brass' and again, free running water was at a premium and fighting was the matter in hand - not personal hygiene. But you can bet your ass that they were made to shave as soon as things quietened down. I've seen similar photos of the US Ariborne in Normandy who were out on their own for a couple of weeks. Some of the Italian extraction guys looked like they's never shaved for months !! lol

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy