Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintagey walking shoes

olive bleu

One Too Many
Luckily the KEDS were not a huge investment..so i may very well find that after a few times, my feet start to ache..they're cute anyway, and i will enjoy them even if i can't keep wearing them for long walks. ..at which time i will be back consulting this thread againlol

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
For those shoes that don't provide support for people who like to walk long distances - has anyone tried those health insoles and inserts that provide support?
[I was in the chemist yesterday and saw some gel arch supports by dr. scholl's].

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
I know you said no sneakers, but I find rocket dog shoes to be very comfortable, and since they have no laces they don't look silly with skirts (at least to me ;) )
Either that or I do ballet flats. I wish I had some jazz shoes *wistful sigh*
Some days I even go for knee socks with red rainboots. Although for you it may not really be work appropriate...

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a pair of cordovan Red Wings or similar. A polished, well-maintained boot in a not-that-shade-of-work-boot-yellow, looks good to me with long skirts.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Chuck Taylor All Stars have been around since 1917.

It looks like what Dorthea Lange is wearing in this picture:
4167_1137196784985_1079329706_30405297_6356190_n.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
How about this pair of black leather Hush Puppies? They have a bit of a vintage look! I don't know how much support they provide but they seem comfy! :)

3279-645886-p.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
cute shoes HadleyH...

Those would probably look fun with your cute Mondrian style dress!

QUOTE=HadleyH]How about this pair of black leather Hush Puppies? They have a bit of a vintage look! I don't know how much support they provide but they seem comfy! :)

3279-645886-p.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
chanteuseCarey said:
Those would probably look fun with your cute Mondrian style dress!

QUOTE=HadleyH]How about this pair of black leather Hush Puppies? They have a bit of a vintage look! I don't know how much support they provide but they seem comfy! :)

3279-645886-p.jpg
[/QUOTE]

But Chanteuse why mess with perfection? That outfit was stunning in an oh so simple way. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nora Mae

New in Town
i walk to work each day and find that my fluevogs keep my feet happy; they look vintage-esque and have amazing support and last forever. and they look good with whatever dress i'm wearing.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Nora Mae said:
i walk to work each day and find that my fluevogs keep my feet happy; they look vintage-esque and have amazing support and last forever. and they look good with whatever dress i'm wearing.

I have a pair of Fluevogs that I love - gorgeous, mid heel, carmel/brown/ivory spats with ribbon ties and I can wear them all day and they feel comfortable every second. Fluevog sizing isn't very consistent though, and I fit anywhere from a 1/2 smaller to a full size larger, so online ordering (and there are some sites with good prices on Fluevogs) is totally out of the question.

Lillemor

One Too Many
No more cheap flats for me no matter how cute!:mad: They're either too slim on the..."last" (Danes please help translate) or I break the cheap fake leather in the back or front because of the gravel I sometimes walk on. I'm buying the Ecco/...marie type shoes from now on!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bumping this thread, since walking-shoe season is just around the corner.

Here's an excellent image resource for matching up traditional walking-shoe styles: http://www.vintagegirlscout.com/unishoe.htm

The traditional Girl Scout uniform shoe was pretty much the quintessential Golden Era Walking Shoe, but you'll also notice some very interesting '30s era sneaker styles, some of which are not too far removed from modern Keds.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Bumping this thread, since walking-shoe season is just around the corner.

Here's an excellent image resource for matching up traditional walking-shoe styles: http://www.vintagegirlscout.com/unishoe.htm

The traditional Girl Scout uniform shoe was pretty much the quintessential Golden Era Walking Shoe, but you'll also notice some very interesting '30s era sneaker styles, some of which are not too far removed from modern Keds.

I never thought I'd be coveting Girl Scout shoes! lol

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I like Clinic shoes -- they were originally made for nurses, and were also very popular in the Era with waitresses, housewives, and others who were on their feet a lot. The Clinic Coquette is basically a 1940s walking shoe that's continued in production down to the present day -- it has a slight heel, but the arch support is so firm you don't notice it. The Clinic Pert is the traditional nurse's shoe, and if you don't mind white they're *extremely* comfy, with a thick rubber sole.

I like those coquettes! They look like something Katherine Hepburn would have worn.

What I'd really like, but I haven't seen anywhere, is that height heel in a brogue. Any thoughts?

SheBear74

Practically Family
I am so happy to see something that looks like a converse! Actually the couple pairs that I have are Rocket Dogs, but I love them so much! lol I was thinking I was way off as far as the 40s feel. The color however may be way off, lol I have navy blue and orange :)

ZoetteVDT

New in Town
This has been really helpful for comfort shoes, but what do you wear shoe-wise when it's going to be muddy/wet underfoot and you don't want to ruin your good shoes? ( I realise this may not really be a problem for those of you lucky enough to live in countries which have more than 3 sunny days per year!)

CherryBubbles

New in Town
Somehow I missed this particular shoe thread when searching awhile back for vintage-y shoe info :eusa_doh:

I'm seriously considering the Clinic shoes LizzieMaine recommends, but I do sometimes have foot trouble with heels higher than 1 inch. Maybe I'll try the the Pert style with the lower heel - hey, I like white ;)

Oddly enough, over the weekend, I saw a pair of "Drizzle Boots" at a thrift store and would have bought them, but they looked too small :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points