Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Aero Leathers

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Central Edinburgh is incredibly safe all year-round. It's very well-lit, lots of police in busy areas and has little in the way of 'trouble areas' - the Cow Gate area under South Bridge is very much student territory, avoid it on Thursday evenings as it's the 'cheap pints' and it gets very messy. Not violent, just irritating. Actually, below the Cowgate is a lovely bar called Holyrood 9a, (that's it's address as well).
I've never had a single moment of trouble in all my evenings out on the town. Glasgow is a different matter...
Don't listen to sloanie...if you make it to Glasgow I will take you for a pint & make sure you are safe....it's the most friendly city in the UK:)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice John. I will be using public transport so I'll check the bus ride. I will definitely ask the guys at Aero about sightseeing.
The bus I took is quite an adventure on its own. Runs from Berwick Upon Tweed(where we stayed) to Galashiels. Don't know if thats your route but the It's interesting to hear the locals chatting, picking up regulars mid stop and dropping off nearer their houses than the regular stops. Don't suppose they would do that down here in Essex.
The bus goes through various little towns but is a little off your route, though I would think you could find another little bus trip just as interesting :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Don't listen to sloanie...if you make it to Glasgow I will take you for a pint & make sure you are safe....it's the most friendly city in the UK:)

I was thinking about Sauchiehall Street on a Friday/Saturday night - my least favourite place in world during the hours of 9pm to 2am. Most other times, it's fine - though obviously not Ibrox/Parkhead on match days...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It seems that the Mrs. and I will be visiting London for a few weeks in early June or so, where we'll be staying with my sister-in-law. If, as I assume, she gets on my nerves intolerably in the first few days, I'll be on the first plane, train, or automobile bound for Edinburgh. Thanks very much for the fine info, and I'll also be searching for Sloane's fabled Armstrong's Vintage Clothing.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget Walker-Slater for all your tweed/tailoring needs. They're two minutes from each other in the Grass Market.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Guys thank you all very much for the information! I'll try to visit as many bars and restaurants as possible! I'll keep you posted with a trip report and my impressions. Thanks a lot to each one of you!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Harris,

Don't forget The Shore in Leith which is a 20 minute taxi from your hotel and it a great waterfront spot for cask beer (Deuchars IPA being a personal fav) and great food.

Fishers on the Shore is a great wee up market but unpretentious eatery if your after Seafood although you may have to book.

The Shore Bar - Good food and beer and live music (but not deafening) on the weekend.

The Kings Wark - Good food and beer. They have bar and restaurant menues.

Malt and Hops - My Favorite bar on the Shore. Very much a locals haunt but loads of cask beers and friendly clientel.

This is making me homesick!

regards

Flashy

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Harris,

Don't forget The Shore in Leith which is a 20 minute taxi from your hotel and it a great waterfront spot for cask beer (Deuchars IPA being a personal fav) and great food.

Fishers on the Shore is a great wee up market but unpretentious eatery if your after Seafood although you may have to book.

The Shore Bar - Good food and beer and live music (but not deafening) on the weekend.

The Kings Wark - Good food and beer. They have bar and restaurant menues.

Malt and Hops - My Favorite bar on the Shore. Very much a locals haunt but loads of cask beers and friendly clientel.

This is making me homesick!

regards

Flashy

Thanks for the info! Seafood would be a good option too.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
So guys, I'm back from my short trip to Edinburgh and Galashiels.
First of all I'd like to thank again all the nice people here who provided a lot of information about Edinburgh.
For you locals there: is it normal for end of april to snow and be that cold? Luckily I had brought my melton peacot and gloves with me.
It was a brief vacation, Wednesday afternoon to Saturday morning. I had to work continuously the previous 9-10 days, including the weekends so to be honest it was more a chill-out and sleep early vacation. I did though visit the Bow pub and the Queens Arms pub, I liked especially the latter one.
On Thursday we took the train to Galashiels. A nice short trip and then straight to Aero. I think we spent almost two hours in the factory. I'd like to thank Denny for making us feel welcome, showing us around the place and helping me trying out more than a dozen of the nice jackets there!
I totally recommend a visit to Aero. Everybody was really helpful and friendly there. You get your time to try different jackets and Denny was really willing to find the same jacket in different sizes to try on. I made my mind for a Happy Days summer jacket. I couldn't decide on the leather (the more I see the more confused I get, that's why I prefer appliances such as amplifiers with only two buttons on). Denny gave me a couple of swatches of different leathers to decide later, I will go for a black vicenza.
The whole place there smells like a new jacket - pure magic.
I also took some photo's of a very special jacket there, the honour and duty for these photos to be posted here lies with our fellow Rocketeer!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
So guys, I'm back from my short trip to Edinburgh and Galashiels.
First of all I'd like to thank again all the nice people here who provided a lot of information about Edinburgh.
For you locals there: is it normal for end of april to snow and be that cold? Luckily I had brought my melton peacot and gloves with me.
It was a brief vacation, Wednesday afternoon to Saturday morning. I had to work continuously the previous 9-10 days, including the weekends so to be honest it was more a chill-out and sleep early vacation. I did though visit the Bow pub and the Queens Arms pub, I liked especially the latter one.
I'm afraid it's been a rather sharp shock for the whole of us up here: we sometimes get a bit of snow at the start of the month, but it's unusual to get it at the end. From what I gather, London got something similar so it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't!
Glad you made it to the Queen's Arms. I have very distinct memories of a work's night out ending there, with us all clinging to the juke box for support...

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
L1000139_zpsod7cyibi.jpg

The time has come!

Unfortunately the weather is too bad for me to get good pictures... Hopefully this week end.

Greatness was in it!

I'm home alone all day tomorrow, so if the sun can be bothered to come out i should be able to take some good pictures...

I will not be able to sleep! I'm thinking right now, what else could you possibly want that could add to your collection? It's got to be something so wild! The suspense...

I guess we're going to have to wait until tomorrow. Just checked Accuweather, rain in London all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo