Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viva Knievel:R.I.P.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
wow...I had just heard

His death came just two days after it was announced that he and rapper Kanye West had settled a federal lawsuit over the use of Knievel's trademarked image in a popular West music video.

on the news the other day....

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
He was such an icon when I was young. I vividly remember watching his jumps on TV and the feeling of anxiety when he was racing to the ramp and how you'd hold your breath when he was airborne. What a way to earn a buck!

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That footage of the Ceasar"s Palace fountain jump "landing" in slow motion still chills me when I remember the first time I saw it. He skirted eternity so many times, I pray his landing went better there.

dean

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I remember getting the Evil Kneivel wind up motorcycle and doll for Christmas in 1975. Every boy in the 1st grade wanted that.

One afternoon in 1996 I was at the Orlando Ale House on Kirkman Rd. across the street from Universal Studios. The bartenders were saying that Evil Kneivel was there the night before, and the guys were saying; "aw too bad we missed him" and one of the waitresses, she was 22, asked; "who's that?" All the guy's in the bar chuckled and got a big kick out of that.lol

panamag8or

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
I remember getting the Evil Kneivel wind up motorcycle and doll for Christmas in 1975. Every boy in the 1st grade wanted that.

I so had one of those. The best thing was sending it off the top of the stairs.

I loved the fact that after you made it jump something, it would wobble and crash... just like the real thing!lol

Motorcycle jumps

He was a madman and a dreamer that is for sure. I remember seeing the Biographical movie a long time ago. These days the Moto-x crowd does jumps that seem like flying compared to Knievel's early days.

He had them Elvis type jump suits with the big collars too!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, in 1976 moto-x was what all the boys were into, who had the best v-bars, free wheel, handle bar pads, Schwinn was out and Mongoose and Diamondback were in etc. Of course I had to get an orange Screamin' Eagle with a banana seat.lol for Christmas 1976. The current fad in bicycles went right past me.

BegintheBeguine

I also had just read on Yahoo! about his meeting and new-found respect and affection for Kanye West and was impressed, and I've never even heard West's music. Evel Knievel was a lot of fun for us who grew up in the 70s. Anyone else besides John in Covina remember the TV movie? All the children talked about it at school for days afterward.

Dixon Cannon

When I was in high school, I remember reading about his planned jump over the Grand Canyon. (Eventually changed to Snake River Canyon due to legal restrictions!). I thought Evel was a real American hero with that 'can do' spirit, like Lindbergh or Houdini - a great showman who inspired others to live their dreams.

I was saddened by his later tangles with the law, but you have to admire the man's courage.

When I heard of his passing on the radio, it was one of those moments that give one pause and a reflection about one's own life over the past decades - time marches on!

R.I.P. Mr. Knievel. You can take off your helmet and cape and gloves, this last jump promises a soft landing.

-dixon cannon

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
I wanted the Knievel Motorcyle Set so badly that my mother ended up buying it on the black market. Seems the Mafia actually hijacked a truck to get their hands on them.:eek:

You're kidding right???lol That's only in the movies. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24