Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vodka

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Zemke Fan said:
Having tried a BUNCH of different brands from Russia I have to say that my absolute favorite is Neimeroff.

Seconded.
This is the good stuff.
I have a bottle I picked up at Kiev Airport.
Our flight; Delhi/Istanbul/Stockolm was delayed, so we transferred
and flew via Kiev, Ukraine. I'm glad we did.
Price was good, too.

B
T

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
SamMarlowPI said:
of course, i probably have no idea what i'm talking about
You said it, not me. ;)

Bottle Service is all about renting a table. Bottle prices (of comparable spirits) will fluctuate depending on the city and/or quality of the club. At the top clubs the price of a bottle can change with the location of the table. Think of it as a real estate transaction. This will usually include immediate entry into the club, sans cover charge. And when you have your own private space with a bar you'll find that you are a very popular person (and if you're shy or discriminating, club management will usually act as a liaison).

So there's a lot of value added; it can't really be valued by the ounce.

Fletch said:
You're right. Pardon the syntax; I sort of implied the vodka is expensive. (You know the actress is.)

Waaayyyy expensive. Just look at that dress. It must cost plenty. ;) :p

1677773576_1178790667864.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I find that the cheap vodkas tend to smell & taste like acetone. I gravitate to the more expensive ones, including the French varieties, because they taste better either on their own or in a cocktail.

As for Mk's & Matt's debate on French stuff, the winery that my wife works at, Tablas Creek, is French owned. they planted their vines here in our area because we are on the same parallel as the French parent vineyards. Very similar growing conditions.

Back to Vodka. I like to experiment with different labels to see what is good out there. Bevmo has been a great source for this & we have come across some really good stuff that is not cheap but won't break the bank. I always like a good vodka that is fresh out of the freezer & has actually thickened up a bit. Makes the glass frosty.

Cheers!

Dan

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DanielJones said:
I always like a good vodka that is fresh out of the freezer & has actually thickened up a bit. Makes the glass frosty.

I'm glad you brought that up. I like the texture when it is thicker like that as well.

CaptainB

Familiar Face
Has anyone tried Imperia vodka? I'd like to give it a try but haven't found many reviews yet, so I thought I'd ask before spending this amount of money on a bottle of vodka (it costs around 70 € = 98 $ here).

Best regards,
Captain B

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Imperia is that the fancy/premium vodka from Russian Standard?
I've not tired but it but have had ordinary Russian Standard.
This may help http://vodkabuzz.com/vodkas/imperia

70 euros seems pretty steep to me, that works out at about £50 - £60 I think.
I can see why you want to check before.

Here are some info on some other high-end vodkas. I've had 6/10 here.
http://www.novusvinum.com/spirits/vodka/features/top10vodkas.html

UPDATE:

Aside from my rambling (above):
This link has half a dozen reviews form web users. seem pretty positive.
http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/03/01/review-russian-standard-imperia-vodka/

CaptainB

Familiar Face
Thank you for the research, Ethan!

After reading many of the reviews I decided to just give it a try and bought it today. It cost 71 € which was a bit heavy on my wallet, but in any case I think the bottle looks great :D

Now It's on its way into the freezer - my impressions will follow tomorrow.

Best regards,
Captain B

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
CaptainB said:
Thank you for the research, Ethan!

After reading many of the reviews I decided to just give it a try and bought it today. It cost 71 € which was a bit heavy on my wallet, but in any case I think the bottle looks great :D

Now It's on its way into the freezer - my impressions will follow tomorrow.

Best regards,
Captain B

Ah lovely and you are very welcome. Sometimes you have to take the plunge! :)
I hope you enjoy it and look forward to reading your impressions.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I'm not a big vodka fan but there is one that I'm really curious about. Has anyone here heard of or tasted Pinky Vodka? It is pink and they use rose petals in the process of making it.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
For drinks, Absolut is fine for my taste, but I do like Stoli with ice if it's straight up..

All the russian vodkas I've tasted are quite superior to anything else really (in my humble opinion), but that does require a little trip..

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
My two cents

Stolichnaya (the plain red/white label) is a good inexpensive vodka. I used to keep a bottle of Stoli Vanil around just for fun, but nobody stocks it anymore, seemingly in favour of that Smirnoff 'twist' rubbish.

I also like Wyborowa 'Exquisite,' from Poland. It has a somewhat sweet taste to it, though it isn't flavoured. Reyka, from Iceland, is another favourite of mine. It has a very faint alcohol smell, and a quite neutral taste.

A few New-Years Eves ago I drank quite a bit of Slava, from the Ukraine. I wouldn't recommend telling any Ukranians that their vodka is Russian. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner