Vodka

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by MK, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Pyroxene

Pyroxene One of the Regulars

Personally, my vote is for Chopin Vodka. It's very nice.

2. MK

MK Founder Staff Member Bartender

I knew he was a great composer.....but.....I never knew what a talanted fellow he was.

3. Vodka is a ripoff plain and simple. By law, it's tasteless, odorless, colorless - so what are you paying for? A glorified Everclear. Oh don't get me started on vodka, friends. I can go on for hours.

Regards,

Senator Jack

4. Vladimir Berkov

Vladimir Berkov One Too Many

Some vodka is just nastier than others. I don't really drink vodka a lot straight, but I like the Monopolowa and Luksusowa stuff.

5. Section10

Section10 One of the Regulars

When I was a teen ager I got horribly drunk on vodka. For the next three days I was so sick I was afraid I might live. I never touched it again.

6. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I was a long time vodka fan. Based on a great thread on the Lounge I tried some Gin. I never looked back....[angel]

7. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Practically Family

NO SUCH THING AS A VODKA MARTINI

When in the clear...i do like gin.

Bombay Sapphire (english) ...Cork Gin (Irish) both smooth.

I have had one good vodka chilled in a martini glass W/olives drink and it

was Ketel One (dutch) ...smooth with a hint of taste.

8. Bebop

Bebop Practically Family

There is nothing like a shot of Stoly Pepper from a bottle that has been in the freezer all day. I had a Russian neighbor that would drink Stoly Pepper like most of us drink water and never showed the slightest sign of being drunk. Absolute has a pepper vodka also but it just tastes too much like alcohol and pepper. Stoly has that "vodka" taste. I think the difference between good and bad vodka is that bad vodka is almost impossible to drink straight because of the harsh isopropyl alcohol taste and good vodka has a charcoaly flavor. Most people drink their vodka mixed so they can't really taste the difference. Same goes for gin. That is why Smirnoff is so popular. Most people also would rather not seem cheap so they go for the mid priced vodka, Smirnoff. Unfortunately, my stomach won't let me drink any longer, so I can only go by what I remember from 10 years ago. :beer:

9. Matt Deckard

Matt Deckard Man of Action

Best thing about the clear drinks is that you can always make those around you think you have a bottle of water!

10. Robert Conway

Robert Conway A-List Customer

"Brilliant", from believe it or not Scotland.

http://www.brilliantvodka.net/

Very smooth, without that delayed reaction kick in the back of the throat and no aftertaste.

11. MudInYerEye

MudInYerEye Practically Family

I've worked on and off in bars for over thirteen years. I've always been baffled by something about vodka. Among Eastern Europeans it seems to be regarded as something of a manly drink, much like bourbon in the West. However, in the bars of New York, nine out of ten vodka drinkers are women.

12. I hope to have it finished this year, but when it's done I think you're going to like my novel, WeeGee. It starts off with the protagonist arguing there's no such thing as a vodka martini. I told you not to get me started

Regards,

Senator Jack

13. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Practically Family

Synopsis ???

Senator,

Any other details on the novel to share?

14. android

android One of the Regulars

We don't even have to leave town! Tito's vodka is made in Austin and very good. It's the only distillery in TX.

http://www.titos-vodka.com

15. Solomon Kane

Solomon Kane Familiar Face

One of the major television networks had a news team conduct a blind taste test of Vodka recently. There were four or six metrosexuals from NY City who were blindfolded and asked to taste from several diferent Vodkas, including their own preferred brand. Attempting, of course, to correctly choose their favorite. In all but one case, if I remember correctly, everyone chose wrong. It really must have been a slow day at the network.

16. photobyalan

photobyalan A-List Customer

Don't you mean "the only LEGAL distillery in Texas"?:cheers1:

17. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Those NYC metrosexuals do not know a tie tack from a thumbtack if somone is not telling them it is the new "hip" fashion. ;)

18. varga49

varga49 One of the Regulars

Russian Vodka Experience and Trivia

I'm glad this thread came back to life! Having recently returned from a trip to Russia I'd like to relate my vodka experience. Note that in 986 Prince Vladimir rejected Islam in favor of Byzantine Christianity, as the Russian State religion because Islam prohibited drinking alcohol. He is quoted with a statement to this effect "For the people of Rus drinking is a joy, we cannot be without it", 1998 marked the 600th anniversary of vodka. We had the good fortune to be invited to dinner by a few family’s in both Moscow and St. Petersburg. It is customary, we learned, that before during and after dinner, Russian folk will offer a toast with of course, vodka. I am told that to refuse to share a toast with a Russian is like refusing to eat any food an Italian mother offers you, it's not done! So on several occasions, before during and after dinner we sat with our Russian friends not wanting to offend anyone, and toasted to in-numerable things, most of which I have no recollection. That being said, It is important to note that never, not once, did either of us, my wife or I (who are not daily drinkers at all), wake up the following morning with any vague resemblance of a hangover! We learned that when toasting with any drink in Russia it is customary, that when you touch glasses with one another you make eye contact with that person! We brought a small bottle back, and were told this particular brand is the Russian Standard. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it say's so in English as you can plainly see on the label. Heh Heh, when I first read that I laughed thinking that the rest of the label translates to "ok tourists take this mediocre vodka home with you".

19. Vodka comes in a variety of flavored versions so you can actually have that Chocolate Martini or that Chocolate Banana Martini. ;) :cheers1: It does actually taste like something other than rubbing alcohol then. :p

Regards to all,

J

20. Zemke Fan

Zemke Fan Call Me a Cab

My wife is Russian...

...who spent 15 years in Sevastopol, Ukraine. During her/our trips back and forth she/we always bring back a bottle or two of Neimeroff vodka from Ukraine. Having tried a BUNCH of different brands from Russia I have to say that my absolute favorite is Neimeroff.