Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vodka

WEEGEE

Practically Family
NO SUCH THING AS A VODKA MARTINI

When in the clear...i do like gin.

Bombay Sapphire (english) ...Cork Gin (Irish) both smooth.

I have had one good vodka chilled in a martini glass W/olives drink and it

was Ketel One (dutch) ...smooth with a hint of taste.

Bebop

Practically Family
There is nothing like a shot of Stoly Pepper from a bottle that has been in the freezer all day. I had a Russian neighbor that would drink Stoly Pepper like most of us drink water and never showed the slightest sign of being drunk. Absolute has a pepper vodka also but it just tastes too much like alcohol and pepper. Stoly has that "vodka" taste. I think the difference between good and bad vodka is that bad vodka is almost impossible to drink straight because of the harsh isopropyl alcohol taste and good vodka has a charcoaly flavor. Most people drink their vodka mixed so they can't really taste the difference. Same goes for gin. That is why Smirnoff is so popular. Most people also would rather not seem cheap so they go for the mid priced vodka, Smirnoff. Unfortunately, my stomach won't let me drink any longer, so I can only go by what I remember from 10 years ago. :beer:

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I've worked on and off in bars for over thirteen years. I've always been baffled by something about vodka. Among Eastern Europeans it seems to be regarded as something of a manly drink, much like bourbon in the West. However, in the bars of New York, nine out of ten vodka drinkers are women.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Synopsis ???

I hope to have it finished this year, but when it's done I think you're going to like my novel, WeeGee. It starts off with the protagonist arguing there's no such thing as a vodka martini. I told you not to get me started

Regards,

Senator Jack

Senator,

Any other details on the novel to share?

Solomon Kane

Familiar Face
One of the major television networks had a news team conduct a blind taste test of Vodka recently. There were four or six metrosexuals from NY City who were blindfolded and asked to taste from several diferent Vodkas, including their own preferred brand. Attempting, of course, to correctly choose their favorite. In all but one case, if I remember correctly, everyone chose wrong. It really must have been a slow day at the network.

Feraud

Bartender
Solomon Kane said:
One of the major television networks had a news team conduct a blind taste test of Vodka recently. There were four or six metrosexuals from NY City who were blindfolded and asked to taste from several diferent Vodkas, including their own preferred brand. Attempting, of course, to correctly choose their favorite. In all but one case, if I remember correctly, everyone chose wrong. It really must have been a slow day at the network.
Those NYC metrosexuals do not know a tie tack from a thumbtack if somone is not telling them it is the new "hip" fashion. ;)

varga49

One of the Regulars
Russian Vodka Experience and Trivia

I'm glad this thread came back to life! Having recently returned from a trip to Russia I'd like to relate my vodka experience. Note that in 986 Prince Vladimir rejected Islam in favor of Byzantine Christianity, as the Russian State religion because Islam prohibited drinking alcohol. He is quoted with a statement to this effect "For the people of Rus drinking is a joy, we cannot be without it", 1998 marked the 600th anniversary of vodka. We had the good fortune to be invited to dinner by a few family’s in both Moscow and St. Petersburg. It is customary, we learned, that before during and after dinner, Russian folk will offer a toast with of course, vodka. I am told that to refuse to share a toast with a Russian is like refusing to eat any food an Italian mother offers you, it's not done! So on several occasions, before during and after dinner we sat with our Russian friends not wanting to offend anyone, and toasted to in-numerable things, most of which I have no recollection. That being said, It is important to note that never, not once, did either of us, my wife or I (who are not daily drinkers at all), wake up the following morning with any vague resemblance of a hangover! We learned that when toasting with any drink in Russia it is customary, that when you touch glasses with one another you make eye contact with that person! We brought a small bottle back, and were told this particular brand is the Russian Standard. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it say's so in English as you can plainly see on the label. Heh Heh, when I first read that I laughed thinking that the rest of the label translates to "ok tourists take this mediocre vodka home with you".

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
My wife is Russian...

...who spent 15 years in Sevastopol, Ukraine. During her/our trips back and forth she/we always bring back a bottle or two of Neimeroff vodka from Ukraine. Having tried a BUNCH of different brands from Russia I have to say that my absolute favorite is Neimeroff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21