Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Volunteering

$ally

One Too Many
I do a lot of volunteering & relief work, both locally and out of the country. My parents taught me from a very young age that there is no point in us being here if we don't help each other out. they also taught me not to do it for bragging rights, because that defeats the purpose.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been a volunteer with Oak Hill Fire/Rescue for the past 28 years (the past five as Assistant Chief). We're an all volunteer department (well, we do have one paid full-time position and a part-time administrative position), that answers fire calls, operates a first responder medical program (at the paramedic level), responds to motor vehicle accidents with entrapments, search and rescue calls in the mountains, swift water rescue, and special operations calls. I don't even want to think of how many hours have been spent in class, at meetings, and on calls over the years. Also, the missed birthdays, Christmas mornings, etc. due to answering calls. It is a hard and often times thankless job, but the feeling you get knowing you did something to try to help someone is tremendous.

I've done some other volunteer work such as Explorer Post Leader, local boards and commissions, and at state and national parks with living history programs. All of this has been interesting, but the work with Fire/Rescue is by far the most rewarding.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I would have liked to train in search and rescue with my lab. He has a nose that surprises me all the time. But it seems impossible living in the city.[huh] :eusa_doh:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
I've been a volunteer with Oak Hill Fire/Rescue for the past 28 years (the past five as Assistant Chief). We're an all volunteer department (well, we do have one paid full-time position and a part-time administrative position), that answers fire calls, operates a first responder medical program (at the paramedic level), responds to motor vehicle accidents with entrapments, search and rescue calls in the mountains, swift water rescue, and special operations calls. I don't even want to think of how many hours have been spent in class, at meetings, and on calls over the years. Also, the missed birthdays, Christmas mornings, etc. due to answering calls. It is a hard and often times thankless job, but the feeling you get knowing you did something to try to help someone is tremendous.

I've done some other volunteer work such as Explorer Post Leader, local boards and commissions, and at state and national parks with living history programs. All of this has been interesting, but the work with Fire/Rescue is by far the most rewarding.

It's one thing to work for the public for low pay , but to do it for nothing!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

$ally

One Too Many
happyfilmluvguy said:
Anyone else volunteering or have?
I don't know how long it has been a requirement but when I was in high school and that was only 4 years ago, as a senior you had to do a certain amount of hours volunteering.
Some scholarships require it.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Big Man said:

My hat is off to you Big Man. I was in the same line of work but paid. I'm a retired City of Raleigh Fireman.

$ally

One Too Many
Bebop said:
The greatest satisfaction I have ever recieved from "work" has been by giving without expecting anything in return. If you have not volunteered, you are missing out on a euphoria unlike any other.
:eusa_clap Well said

Bebop

Practically Family
If I can add one more thing....

One of the best things anyone suffering from depression can do is volunteer. It gives life another point of view and does wonders for lifting that dark cloud of depression.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
I've been a volunteer guide at the Canadian Railway Museum since 2004. It is simply driven by a passion to share the passion of railroading and it's history.

Big Man

indycop said:
I would have liked to train in search and rescue with my lab. He has a nose that surprises me all the time. But it seems impossible living in the city.[huh] :eusa_doh:

There is a big need for Urban Search and Rescue (USAR). Over the years we've worked with a lot of dogs from city environments. I would recommend you contact someone in the National Association of Search and Rescue (NASAR) or through your local Emergency Management Coordinator. I'm sure there are opportunities out there.

Big Man

indycop said:
It's one thing to work for the public for low pay , but to do it for nothing!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I've spent the past 30 years working in State government. Believe me, I know about low pay. :D

Big Man

PeeWee said:
My hat is off to you Big Man. I was in the same line of work but paid. I'm a retired City of Raleigh Fireman.

Thanks. I believe I remember you saying something about that before. Raleigh would be an interesting place to be a Fireman (seeing that we in the west think it's the center of h... Oh well, never mind what we think.) :D

Vintage Betty

Peewee: How very nice of you! I'm sure your neighbors really appreciate it.

Gluegungeisha - It's very cool that you have a long standing relationship with volunteering. I look forward to hearing more about your trip.

happyfilmguy - I'm looking forward to your film when I'm on a better connection.

$ally - was your comment regarding bragging directed at me? One thing very interesting is that when I've spoken about my volunteering, I've gotten into some great discussions about the topics I'm working towards (AIDS, healthcare in CA, etc) as well as finding volunteers, jobs for friends and also donations.

BigMan - I should have known a BigMan also has a BigHeart. *Thank you for your service!* What is Explorer Post?

Indycop & Bigman - I have been trying to join a SAR group in my region for over 8 years (Note that is pre-9/11). There is no SAR group that is close to me. I have interviewed the fire and police departments twice (the police department has SAR dogs, but is only interested in having me sponsor one of their dogs). I thought my german/shepherd lab would have made a great SAR, but she died before I could find out. I've spent the last two years looking for a female Schutzhound-trained German Shepherd (or German Shepherd who can be trained in Schutzhound), but I will probably be forced to either give up this train of thought, or purchase from a breeder-trainer. I have called the nationwide groups, the local groups and there simply is no one near me to date. Coincidentally, I found a training facility and might have found a group last month, so we'll see what happens with that.

Dominic - Yes I remember your little "ghost effort" for Halloween! Thank you for what is a very cool effort. I'd like to visit your museum one day.

I'm really enjoying this thread, and would like to hear more/see more of your efforts! Seems to me I need to have another contest or two for volunteers, eh? (I already had one, but only one person entered). :(

Vintage Betty

Bebop

Practically Family
Indycop & Bigman - I have been trying to join a SAR group in my region for over 8 years (Note that is pre-9/11). There is no SAR group that is close to me. I have interviewed the fire and police departments twice (the police department has SAR dogs, but is only interested in having me sponsor one of their dogs). I thought my german/shepherd lab would have made a great SAR, but she died before I could find out. I've spent the last two years looking for a female Schutzhound-trained German Shepherd (or German Shepherd who can be trained in Schutzhound), but I will probably be forced to either give up this train of thought, or purchase from a breeder-trainer. I have called the nationwide groups, the local groups and there simply is no one near me to date. Coincidentally, I found a training facility and might have found a group last month, so we'll see what happens with that.

Vintage Betty[/QUOTE]

Vintage Betty, have you tried cemp.org?
Also, the kennel that bred my German Shepherd (the one on my avatar) holtzbergk9.com has many clients that are into SAR. I am sure you could not only find the right dog but she could point you in the right direction towards SAR in So. Ca. Her name is Becky and is very responsive.

Vintage Betty

Bebop said:
Vintage Betty, have you tried cemp.org?
Also, the kennel that bred my German Shepherd (the one on my avatar) holtzbergk9.com has many clients that are into SAR. I am sure you could not only find the right dog but she could point you in the right direction towards SAR in So. Ca. Her name is Becky and is very responsive.

Alas, those are in Southern California, and I am in Northern California. I found a breeder/trainer close to me, but tried to contact him 3 times and there was no response. [huh]

Apparently, he has pets as well as fully trained dogs. The fully trained (Third level Schutzhound) dogs go for $22,000! :eek:

It seems outrageous, but when you consider the training usually takes three years, it's actually not that much. However, I'm not a professional, and this isn't required of me.

So, no $22,000 dogs for me.

Thanks anyway!

Vintage Betty

Gigi

New in Town
I was forced to volunteer throughout my years in school. It did feel rewarding, but there was still that sense that I was being forced to do it. I also was limited in the choices I had.
Last year I volunteered at a hospital that I'd worked at before, but ended up getting stuck behind a desk and quit because I wasn't given a chance to actually help anyone.
I don't have a lot of time right now, but I'm going to begin volunteering to help abused animals. I wasn't allowed to do that during my school years and I have a great passion for it. My only problem is that I'll want to bring them all home with me!
I've had many people ask me why I volunteer if 1) I'm not forced and 2) I'm not paid. It's a sad world where people find you strange if you voluntarily give your time to others.

$ally

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
$ally - was your comment regarding bragging directed at me? One thing very interesting is that when I've spoken about my volunteering, I've gotten into some great discussions about the topics I'm working towards (AIDS, healthcare in CA, etc) as well as finding volunteers, jobs for friends and also donations.
Oh gosh, no! That wasn't meant to pique. I don't think anyone here is bragging! We are sharing what we do, which raises awareness for the charities out there. I think the work you are doing is wonderful. I'm sorry, I must have worded that so poorly. I meant that it is important to have your heart in it.

My son just got back last night from this mission trip to build a home in Mexico, which my family does every year:
http://www.amor.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?&pid=203&srcid=302
=======

Big Man

Vintage Betty said:
BigMan - I should have known a BigMan also has a BigHeart. *Thank you for your service!* What is Explorer Post?

Vintage Betty

Your welcome. I feel fortunate that I have the ability to help folks. Besides, being in Fire/Rescue is fun. The fellowship and the adrenaline rush cannot be described.

An Explorer Post is part of the Boy Scouts. In a nutshell, it's for boys who are "too old" for "regular scouts". We had a high adventure post. I took the boys rock climbing, wilderness camping, cross country skiing, caving, and white water rafting, etc. We had a blast, and provided many stories the boys could take with them into their adult life. Out of the group of about six boys, one went on to be a Marine, one a Fire Chief, one a Wilderness Paramedic. Of course there was also one who went on to be a professional wrestler - you can't win them all. :eek:

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I'm a leader of a Girl Scout Brownie troop and a Girl Scout Junior troop for my two girls. The junior troop spent last weekend out of town working on various badges. At the junior age (5th grade) the girls are becoming much more independent, which is good to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot