Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VS Custom Hats - Watch the MAGIC - Art makes a hat FULL VIDEO!!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I only mentioned Michael because he seemed quite proud to share his experience and the fact that he did spent time with Mr. Fawcett
... and where you can detect an Art flavor in Michaels work if you really look for it their styles aren't really very close.

Jed I. Knight

New in Town
Long time forum stalker, first time poster. :) Glad y’all are enjoying the video! I had originally done one on the Bowler/Derby Art had built for me... but it was nowhere near as in-depth.

I know when I did that a lot of folks commented that they’d like to see a little more from inside Art’s shop. So, I went back and shot over 3 hours of footage during the build of my Fedora... that was in December. I was initially a little overwhelmed with the amount of footage I had. But, I really wanted to make this episode as it was important to me. I’m glad so many other folks are enjoying/appreciating how it all came together.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I posted the "first" video by Jed I. back on May 18th, 2018.... funny only 1/3 the number of Loungers saw it compared to this one...and it had "0 comments. That wasn't (at the time) a "sticky" so perhaps it shuffled down the list (the Lounge threads show most recent first). So I have made it a "sticky" post in this HATS section so anyone can see it, separate from this post, as I did outright for this one.

Jed I. Knight

New in Town
Welcome, Jed. It was a treat to see Art at work. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the welcome.

I posted the "first" video by Jed I. back on May 18th, 2018.... funny only 1/3 the number of Loungers saw it compared to this one...and it had "0 comments. That wasn't (at the time) a "sticky" so perhaps it shuffled down the list (the Lounge threads show most recent first). So I have made it a "sticky" post in this HATS section so anyone can see it, separate from this post, as I did outright for this one.

Thanks! I’ll have to look that one up. Like I said, it wasn’t as in-depth as this current episode. I wasn’t sure how well it’d be received by my subscribers (mostly folks interested in shooting). But, it turned into one of the more popular episodes on my channel.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab

While probably partly true I would venture to guess Art's relatively recent announcement of his impending retirement is a larger contributing factor to member interaction on this thread versus the other.

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got, till it's gone"

Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks! I’ll have to look that one up. Like I said, it wasn’t as in-depth as this current episode. I wasn’t sure how well it’d be received by my subscribers (mostly folks interested in shooting). But, it turned into one of the more popular episodes on my channel.

Hats off to you for creating and sharing this video. As someone who is relatively new to collecting and wearing hats this only adds to my understanding and appreciation for these craftsmen and their creations. Thank you.

ruvort

One of the Regulars
Long time forum stalker, first time poster. :) Glad y’all are enjoying the video! I had originally done one on the Bowler/Derby Art had built for me... but it was nowhere near as in-depth.

I know when I did that a lot of folks commented that they’d like to see a little more from inside Art’s shop. So, I went back and shot over 3 hours of footage during the build of my Fedora... that was in December. I was initially a little overwhelmed with the amount of footage I had. But, I really wanted to make this episode as it was important to me. I’m glad so many other folks are enjoying/appreciating how it all came together.
Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you took the time to make these videos. It is always great to see a master of his craft share and help preserve the knowledge for future generations.

By the way, are there any pictures posted of the hat from the video? I'd love to see some side shots of it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Jed I. Knight

New in Town
Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you took the time to make these videos. It is always great to see a master of his craft share and help preserve the knowledge for future generations.

By the way, are there any pictures posted of the hat from the video? I'd love to see some side shots of it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcome!

I haven’t posted any photos YET... but I will. I’ll put ‘em on my instagram @Jedidiah_Knight ( https://www.instagram.com/jedidiah_knight/ ) and/or on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/HostOfJEDiTV/ ).

What a great video. After watching it I thought that it’s amazing that custom hats are as cheap as they are. Lots of specialized tools, but the skill and craftsmanship is most impressive. I have a couple of Art’s hats, two more in queue, and I’m thinking about another. I personally don’t see them appreciating in price once he retires, but they aren’t a monetary investment for me. In today’s world how many things do we buy or have made that will last indefinitely? My hats are my contribution to future generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Well said, young man, I agree completely!

What a great video. After watching it I thought that it’s amazing that custom hats are as cheap as they are. Lots of specialized tools, but the skill and craftsmanship is most impressive. I have a couple of Art’s hats, two more in queue, and I’m thinking about another. I personally don’t see them appreciating in price once he retires, but they aren’t a monetary investment for me. In today’s world how many things do we buy or have made that will last indefinitely? My hats are my contribution to future generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
This is really great to see. Mr. Fawcett has made, I believe, six hats for me and renovated three* of them, so I really like seeing something that tells me how they came to be. Having neither the skills nor aptitude for skilled work of any kind, I've always been fascinated and awed by those who have. (I started watching This Old House young and the appreciation, although not the knack or knowledge, stuck) It's all the more remarkable given how hatting is in significant part of a 'reconstructed' craft whose modern practitioners by and large had to learn and create themselves.

*Actually, the first one that I ever commissioned is eleven years old and due for a thorough going over, but only if there's time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk