Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VS HST anyone?

jbucklin

Practically Family
I asked this on the Art Fawcett Hall of Fame thread but have received only silence so far---so! I thought I would start a new thread. :D I am interested in Art's HST (Silverbelly). If anyone has one and can post pics with you wearing it I would appreciate it

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, you probably aren't going to hear that much. Art only made 10 of each of his limited editions, and his website says that there are 8 left, meaning only 2 people have them.

At any rate, it's a beauiful hat and a beautiful color. I've head some people talking about Art's silverbelly color, but not this hat specifically. I'd go back to the Art thread and ask about the color itself, as I believe the hat itself may be sold open crown. I could be wrong though...

jbucklin

Practically Family
I figured as such, i.e. only a couple of folks actually owning the HST, but thought it'd be worth a try, especially since the two owners are more than likely Loungers. The pics at the VS site are very good. I, like you am wanting a Campdraft, but since my wife has promised me a VS hat for my 52nd birthday in September, under the condition that I stop buying hats till then :eusa_doh: , I figured I could kill two birds with one stone and get what looks to be Art's version of the Open Road-styled fedora.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jbucklin said:
I figured as such, i.e. only a couple of folks actually owning the HST, but thought it'd be worth a try, especially since the two owners are more than likely Loungers. The pics at the VS site are very good. I, like you am wanting a Campdraft, but since my wife has promised me a VS hat for my 52nd birthday in September, under the condition that I stop buying hats till then :eusa_doh: , I figured I could kill two birds with one stone and get what looks to be Art's version of the Open Road-styled fedora.

...My compliments to your wife for being an enabler lol .
No, but seriously, that's great! From what I've seen and heard, a VS should be well worth the wait. I would like one myself, but at age 19 and only 3 hats under my be......on top of my head (and only one of which that has been a success), I figured I might as well hold off.

Once I've a hat stretcher, hat brush, hat rack or box...you know, all the items and experienced hat-wearer needs, then I think I'll be ready. It's kind of like a rite of passage, and I am nowhere near prepared.

...there's also the fact that I'm a college student, and the kind of money needed for custom is hard to come by when there are snacks, soda, and girls to spend the money on (you know, on a date...). lol

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Not-Bogart13 said:
Well, you could just ask Art to make an Open Road clone. :D

That's my plan for the next one. My pecan feather weight should be coming off the block this week.

Change of heart huh...

I thought you were going for the Oxblood...lol

So many choices.....:D

jbucklin said:
I asked this on the Art Fawcett Hall of Fame thread but have received only silence so far---so! I thought I would start a new thread. :D I am interested in Art's HST (Silverbelly). If anyone has one and can post pics with you wearing it I would appreciate it

jbucklin

Practically Family
Cane Rod Maker said:
I thought you were going for the Oxblood...lol

So many choices.....:D

I know, I know! Too much time has elapsed and my interests are turning more toward that whole Open Road style. What's a cowboy to do? [huh]

jbucklin

Practically Family
There's just something about that Silverbelly color. Once it gets ahold of you, you just can't get it out of your head!

OT1899

Familiar Face
VS HST ...

I've looked at that hat on his website also. It looks like a great choice and you are right about the silver belly!

jbucklin said:

Congrats J,

I am turning 52 in 2 days! Unfortunately, I don't think a VS is in my future, but that's OK, I have plenty of nice hats to wear. I think silverbelly is a great color, I have multiples in OR's. Good luck and post some pics when you get it!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I have a VS in silverbelly and it is very different than the current silverbelly colors by Akubra or stetson. The VS silverbelly is more grey while the others are more tan.

It is a great color. Very versatile. But I don't have an HST.

analogist

One of the Regulars
HST defined

HST was my first of many collaborations with Art and I do indeed own the prototype.

Having the experience of actually seen President Truman during one of his morning "constitutionals" on Park Avenue in New York he had special meaning to me. Also take in mind that as a haberdasher, he sold Stetsons for many years and hats were special to him. I would suggest if you are contemplating one or own one, see the Truman film starring Gary Sinise.

Yes, it is an Open Road with a bit of "bling" but much more. Art and I studied many images of Truman wearing hats and the final design of the HST was based on this. You also can't beat the gold monogram on the ribbon. The bodies Art uses to make these harts are classic beauties.

analogist

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thanks analogist. I knew at least one of the two owners of the HST had to be a Lounger!

That is very, very, helpful. And to know that not only do you own the prototype, but that you actually had a hand in the design of it is very, very cool. Your response was even better than what I had hoped for. Now I want one more than ever! I will check out that Truman movie w/ Gary Sinise.

carldelo

One Too Many
I've always found the HST to be the most beautiful of Art's offerings. If you can sport the brim width (it's too wide for me), I think it would be the equal of all but the most perfect vintage OR specimens. Plus it has the pin and would have your initials in it - how perfect a birthday present would that be?

barrowjh

One Too Many
Brim Width

I think that brim width is not so crucial as many presume. Certainly, a typically dark fedora in regular winter weight and a reasonably wide ribbon looks heavy - brim width more important with those. OR / Strat thin-ribbons are different, in a light color, these are the last felts you wear in the spring before switching to straw, and the first when you switch back in early fall (in my mind). Most of us will sport a wider brim on a straw than on a winter-weight fedora, and I think that carries over to the thin-ribbons also.

I think a man wearing a thin-ribbon can sport a brim width at least 1/8th if not 1/4 inch wider than you would otherwise support in your darker winter fedoras. In a straw, maybe start with 1/4 in more up to a half inch (or more) wider than your the typical fedora brim width you feel confortable with.

Take a look at this Stetson bantam currently attracting a feeding frenzy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270615471523&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The bantam looks a lot like Art's HST, and the frenzy over that bantam are proof enough for the popularity and magnetism of that particular combination - basically an OR / Strat with a slightly wider ribbon around the crown, but still an understated ribbon in comparison to a typical fedora.

Pictures of President Truman do not reveal the weight of the felt, but we can suppose that a person with as much experience with hats as he had might have preferred light-weight (bantam?) felt in the humid DC area, except for cold winter days or straw weather at the other extreme.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Analogist, any possibility of you posting some pics with you wearing the HST? I seem to get a better idea of a hat's proportions when it is placed on one's head. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points