Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VTG Leather jacket similar to Natal Leather or Walter Dyer (thick, heavy, soft, supple leather)

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hey all,
I finally decided to buy a cheaper "vintage" leather jacket (price range max. 300$) instead of an expensive Buco as I really don't have experience with vintage leather jackets. Most appealing to me is following Natal Leather jacket which I found on the Internet even if I don't know if the quality is good or not (at least it looks like a high quality jacket to me since the leather looks thick, heavy, soft, supple and I like the style) - https://image.ibb.co/fShOSK/IMG_20180915_151033.jpg
Unfortunately I cannot find this one (size 38-40 / medium) on the Internet. I've also seen quite nice Walter Dyer jackets but cannot find one either. Do you know other makers which meet my criteria - I've been searching for more than 2 hours but it is difficult without knowing what's good and not good. I've also found this Lesco jacket but the sleeves are too long for me - https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LE...ENS-SIZE-MED/132927240597?hash=item1ef314b995

I'm looking forward to you advices!
Cheers, Robbie

ksozay

One Too Many
I’ve got a Wild Out West Perfecto from Johnson’s leather that I got from Ton. It’s pretty amazing. Happy to discuss if you’re interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all,
I finally decided to buy a cheaper "vintage" leather jacket (price range max. 300$) instead of an expensive Buco as I really don't have experience with vintage leather jackets. Most appealing to me is following Natal Leather jacket which I found on the Internet even if I don't know if the quality is good or not (at least it looks like a high quality jacket to me since the leather looks thick, heavy, soft, supple and I like the style) - https://image.ibb.co/fShOSK/IMG_20180915_151033.jpg
Unfortunately I cannot find this one (size 38-40 / medium) on the Internet. I've also seen quite nice Walter Dyer jackets but cannot find one either. Do you know other makers which meet my criteria - I've been searching for more than 2 hours but it is difficult without knowing what's good and not good. I've also found this Lesco jacket but the sleeves are too long for me - https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LE...ENS-SIZE-MED/132927240597?hash=item1ef314b995

I'm looking forward to you advices!
Cheers, Robbie

That's my jacket you linked to! :D If you'd only made this thread two months ago, an exact same model made by Walter Dyer has been sitting on eBay for more than a year, listed at $150.

Walter Dyer and Natal are truly great jackets. Some of my favorite. Maybe my favorite. Not up to the standards some other makers have set in terms of aesthetics, I suppose, but as far as quality and functionality goes, they're at the very top of the game. Extremely heavy (I can't imagine Lost Worlds being any heavier, to be honest), super tough and very well designed.

Lesco's seem great as well though just like any other maker, the leather they've used can vary. But their product is real quality from what I hear.

For this price range, I'd also look into Branded Garments. If you can find one of their earlier jackets, you're basically set for life. Super heavy, tough as nails, really well made, proper riding gear. Actually better than Schott, I'd say. And they go for much less than even WD or Natal. Just search for "Branded Garment Leather Jacket" on eBay, you should get plenty of hits.

I've had their cross zip, one with the removable fur liner and it was a top shelf product. 7lbs of super thick cowhide. Just be careful to avoid their newer products as they've switched to printed leather at some point. Easy to tell because the leather looks really bad but the earlier ones, you can't go wrong with it.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
@Monitor Thank you for your help! You're the lucky owner of the beautiful Natal Leather jacket which is still my favorite one :) I found Branded Garments leather jackets but unfortunately not in my size. I'll keep searching - perhaps I'm lucky in finding a Natal or Walter Dyer soon. Thank you again!

Claybertrand

One Too Many
@Monitor Thank you for your help! You're the lucky owner of the beautiful Natal Leather jacket which is still my favorite one :) I found Branded Garments leather jackets but unfortunately not in my size. I'll keep searching - perhaps I'm lucky in finding a Natal or Walter Dyer soon. Thank you again!
FYI, I believe Branded Garments which is out of NY was previously called Orchard Leathers. I have 3 Cafe Racers that were made by them and none of them have ANY brand tag. in December of 2017, I sent an inquiry with pics trying to ID a jacket and I got an immediate response from Peter Farkas who I believe may be the owner of what is now called Branded Garments. He ID's the jacket style and all of its components and even was able to name the now defunct Moto Leather Shop in Yuba City, CA that sold the jacket unlabeled.

I would second that these jackets are well made and very heavy leather. They don't have a fancy reputation or cult following, but their older jackets are bulletproof.

The Jacket I have, Peter says they still make it today and it runs $575 new. So they still make some of their older models if you want to buy an old style new. I appreciate their feedback that helped me ID one of their jackets.

Just my 2 cents on Branded......

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I had a Branded Cafe Racer style a few years ago. It was super heavy and thick, but also very stiff, very unlike the Natal and Walter Dyer leathers that I have. It was so stiff in fact that I ended up selling it on, I just could not see ever breaking in the collar to where it would be comfortable.

They do (or did) make one of the toughest, heaviest, thickest, stiffest leather jackets that I've ever handled. It was too much for me.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
During my further investigations I came across with the Japanese maker Fine Creek Leathers - their thick (4.5-5oz, 1.8-2mm) HH which is quite soft and pliable (according to Panchoandlefty.se in Sweden) has also a beautiful tea-core effect and their jacket "Leon the Noster" is very appealing to me and could be a good alternative to Natal oder WD even if this is not a vintage jacket and exceeds my budget (perhaps I have to re-sell another jacket....). Has anyone here ever handled their horsehide jackets? Is the overall quality (horsehide, stitching quality, liner quality) compareable to other makers like FW, RMC or more like Aero ? They had a booth at The Selvedge Run in Berlin in January (I was not able to go to Berlin). There are basically two Retailers in Europe (Clutch Cafe and PanchoandLefty but none of them has remaining stock) and no retailer in Germany - therefore I won't be able to try one on. Here are some pics:
https://jams.ocnk.net/data/jams/product/20171128_f46c94.JPG
https://www.jelado.com/data/jelado/image/20171224_177c3e.jpg

Thanks! Robbie

During my further investigations I came across with the Japanese maker Fine Creek Leathers - their thick (4.5-5oz, 1.8-2mm) HH which is quite soft and pliable (according to Panchoandlefty.se in Sweden) has also a beautiful tea-core effect and their jacket "Leon the Noster" is very appealing to me and could be a good alternative to Natal oder WD even if this is not a vintage jacket and exceeds my budget (perhaps I have to re-sell another jacket....). Has anyone here ever handled their horsehide jackets? Is the overall quality (horsehide, stitching quality, liner quality) compareable to other makers like FW, RMC or more like Aero ? They had a booth at The Selvedge Run in Berlin in January (I was not able to go to Berlin). There are basically two Retailers in Europe (Clutch Cafe and PanchoandLefty but none of them has remaining stock) and no retailer in Germany - therefore I won't be able to try one on. Here are some pics:
https://jams.ocnk.net/data/jams/product/20171128_f46c94.JPG
https://www.jelado.com/data/jelado/image/20171224_177c3e.jpg

Thanks! Robbie

Haven't handled FC but I do know that these jackets cost a lot. A lot as in I don't think you can find one for under a thousand dollars, especially not the Leon. It's a good investment piece, in any case but it won't get you a heavier or tougher jacket than any Natal or Walter Dyer. Or Vanson for that matter. Natal makes stuff even Cal is having hard time competing with.

Regardless, if you're set on a Japanese maker, look into Kadoya! From what I've seen and read, these guys make true and proper, super heavy motorcycle jackets and they make all sorta stuff, from simple cross zips to jackets that'd be an overkill even in a Mad Max movie.

https://ekadoya.com/products/list?maker_id=16&pageno=4

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n323834332
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l494146205

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Haven't handled FC but I do know that these jackets cost a lot. A lot as in I don't think you can find one for under a thousand dollars, especially not the Leon. It's a good investment piece, in any case but it won't get you a heavier or tougher jacket than any Natal or Walter Dyer. Or Vanson for that matter. Natal makes stuff even Cal is having hard time competing with.

Regardless, if you're set on a Japanese maker, look into Kadoya! From what I've seen and read, these guys make true and proper, super heavy motorcycle jackets and they make all sorta stuff, from simple cross zips to jackets that'd be an overkill even in a Mad Max movie.

https://ekadoya.com/products/list?maker_id=16&pageno=4

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n323834332
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l494146205
Thank you for this good Input! I‘ve Never heard of Kadoya before. Btw. I don‘t intend to use it for rinding - I simply like this jacket style and also thick and heavy leather like my 4oz+ LW which I like a lot....now I‘m searching for a more supple, soft but still thick jacket as LW is too stiff for daily wear. I Hope someone Can share his experience with Fine Creek Leathers.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Keep a patient eye on eBay and a very nice Walter Dyer will show up at a very nice price. My WD naked cowhide cafe racer is a superb true motorcycle jacket. It was also a super value for a second-hand purchase. As in well under $100.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Keep a patient eye on eBay and a very nice Walter Dyer will show up at a very nice price. My WD naked cowhide cafe racer is a superb true motorcycle jacket. It was also a super value for a second-hand purchase. As in well under $100.
For some reason, I am always agreeing with Gamma here!!! GMTA;) You can find a HELL of a second hand jacket for a fraction of what a new Kadoya would set you back ESPECIALLY if you are not intending it as a functional ride jacket. If you are really looking for a casual jacket that is well made and still has the characteristics of a full fledged riding jacket, you may want to steer away from the high end MOTO gear and look for a casual riding jacket or a more "fashion" (for lack of a better term--I don't mean any negative meaning) jacket.

I don't ride anymore. Jackets built for the protection, lack of drag, and specific positional flexibility for riding a motorcycle are not necessarily conducive to casual comfort. There are tons of reasonably priced jackets that are not pure hardcore riding gear that still will have THE LOOK and the heavy leather you are looking for.

To agree with Gamma again, I found a very nice, VERY HEAVY and well taken care of Walter Dyer Naked Cow Hide Cafe Racer for something like $80 plus shipping within the last 2 years. Its a casual riding type of jacket that can easily double as a casual fashion jacket. Great fit, well made, great price.

Sometimes, what LOOKS cool and what you REALLY WANT to like, ends up being a fit that just doesn't do it for ya. I don't think I'm alone in that there are SO MANY JACKETS I have and have had that I WISHED fit me right (especially vintage) that just didn't and I had to call a spade a spade and sell them or move them to the back of the closet into the "NONPREFERRED" department.

It would be a shame to buy a $1000 ride jacket when you could own 10 for that price. My buddy has TONS of higher end jackets including a few Vansons. His favorite is some untagged Cafe Racer he scored for $60 at a flea market!!!!!!!

Sometimes, the prize we get is not the prize we wanted, but ends up being killer in spite of us.

Keep your eyes peeled, stick to the measurements of what you know fits you well and be patient. Jacket hunting is an art!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

For some reason, I am always agreeing with Gamma here!!! GMTA;) You can find a HELL of a second hand jacket for a fraction of what a new Kadoya would set you back ESPECIALLY if you are not intending it as a functional ride jacket. If you are really looking for a casual jacket that is well made and still has the characteristics of a full fledged riding jacket, you may want to steer away from the high end MOTO gear and look for a casual riding jacket or a more "fashion" (for lack of a better term--I don't mean any negative meaning) jacket.

I don't ride anymore. Jackets built for the protection, lack of drag, and specific positional flexibility for riding a motorcycle are not necessarily conducive to casual comfort. There are tons of reasonably priced jackets that are not pure hardcore riding gear that still will have THE LOOK and the heavy leather you are looking for.

To agree with Gamma again, I found a very nice, VERY HEAVY and well taken care of Walter Dyer Naked Cow Hide Cafe Racer for something like $80 plus shipping within the last 2 years. Its a casual riding type of jacket that can easily double as a casual fashion jacket. Great fit, well made, great price.

Sometimes, what LOOKS cool and what you REALLY WANT to like, ends up being a fit that just doesn't do it for ya. I don't think I'm alone in that there are SO MANY JACKETS I have and have had that I WISHED fit me right (especially vintage) that just didn't and I had to call a spade a spade and sell them or move them to the back of the closet into the "NONPREFERRED" department.

It would be a shame to buy a $1000 ride jacket when you could own 10 for that price. My buddy has TONS of higher end jackets including a few Vansons. His favorite is some untagged Cafe Racer he scored for $60 at a flea market!!!!!!!

Sometimes, the prize we get is not the prize we wanted, but ends up being killer in spite of us.

Keep your eyes peeled, stick to the measurements of what you know fits you well and be patient. Jacket hunting is an art!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

All true. My favorite was a Natal/Walter Dyer cafe racer that sold thinking more money will get me a much better jacket. So far, no dice. But we live and learn. And regret.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Quick update from my side: I found a nice jacket from a fellow TFL member in the meantime - I was really torn between many different brands (WD, Natal, LW Beck Leathertogs here in Classifieds, LW J23, Fine Creek Leon the Nostar, ELMC Roadstar, Aero J106, etc. etc.) as many different D-pocket jackets (or similar) attracted me. I'm not a rider but I like the look of a MC jacket (D-pocket or similar styles) and I always wanted to own a high quality black MC jacket. Finally I found a favorable offer of a RMC Buco J24 here in Classifieds and the jacket is only barely worn according to the former owner. I've been keeping an eye on the RMC Buco J24 for at least 3-4 years but have never had a chance to try one on and actually don't know how the Shinki feels and how heavy it is (medium weigth as far as I know) - from workmanship point of view, I guess RMC is excellent and on same level as Freewheelers. However, I've not seen it as often as other brands here hoping that it doesn't feel like a Mall jacket. Due to lack of offers of used ones in my size and due to the high price of a new one, I was never tempted to purchase one (or dared to buy a new expensive one) - after watching this offer in the Classifieds for at least 1.5 months and after many friendly communications with the owner, I finally decided to go for it (I was torn between the LW Beck Leathertogs -> I guess it would have been to heavy for me for daily wear in Spring time as I'm not a rider) and I hope that the decision was right and that it will be a keeper. The jacket is now on its way from Australia to Europe and as soon as I received it, I will send pictures of it. What do you guys think about my decision? Of course it's never too late to find a "vintage" Walter Dyer or Natal at an affordable price (100-200$)....

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
How is it called....TFL effect....anyway, I need to prohibit my self to watch threads on this forum ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy