Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WALTHAM WATCH COMPANY metal box ?

green papaya

One Too Many
anybody know anything about the WALTHAM WATCH CO. ?

what era is this metal box from? is it a watch box ?

it has a blued steel finish, it looks vintage

it measures about 2.5" x 2" and about 7/8" in thick

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is a quite a lot of information on The Waltham Watch company in our archives. Michaelson knows quite a bit about this company as well.

I work right around the corner from the old building in Waltham, MA and I know a bit about the watches, but nothing about this box. Sorry.

Flivver

Practically Family
I was waiting to see if anyone could positively identify this before offering my two cents worth.

I have seen ROUND metal boxes like this that were used by the watch manufacturers to ship movements to their dealers. But I've never seen a square one. I'll ask a friend who collects watches about this.

Flivver

Practically Family
I spoke with my watch collector friend yesterday. Your case was apparently used to ship a watch case in. Prior to 1920. or so, customers selected the case and the movement separately at the jewler's store. Movements were shipped in round containers and cases were shipped in square containers like yours.

green papaya

One Too Many
Flivver said:
I spoke with my watch collector friend yesterday. Your case was apparently used to ship a watch case in. Prior to 1920. or so, customers selected the case and the movement separately at the jewler's store. Movements were shipped in round containers and cases were shipped in square containers like yours.

IM003241.jpg

IM003239.jpg

thats interesting,

I think it probably dates back to the WW1 era 1914 - 1918

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I live in the original Waltham watch building down town, vintage 1880s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner