Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WANTED: 1930's STYLE LEATHER JACKET...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...that I can afford!! Not a military style--more of like a thug/ working man type. It would need to be less than, let's say $400. Am I crazy?
Websites or links please!!
flat-top

Harry Lime

Suspended
No, you're not crazy.

Depending on your size you shouldn't have all that much trouble finding a civilan jacket. Try Ebay, obviously, search under "horsehide" first. Then try a few other more obvious searches (leather jacket, leather coat, etc). You'll find one. Aero Leathers has a nice selction of used vintage as well but can be pricey. In general, the bigger the size the higher the cost. Depending on your size I have a coat of the type you want I may sell you.

Harry Lime

nightandthecity

Practically Family
actually FT the classic 30s and 40s military leathers were based on civilian designs, and there was continual interplay between military and civilian designs throughout that era. Plus a lot of military jackets made their way onto the back of by many a thug and working man (in particular the classic AAF A2 in the immedite post-war era)

The best place is, of course, ebay. There is a steady stream of original 30s-50s leather jackets on ebay, military and civilian. Some great civilian jackets regularly go for under $100

If you want a modern repro Aero Leather in Scotland is the best place.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/webapp/aeroleather/servlet/AeroViewPage?page=home

If your budget is limited search their sale,clearance, and used sections, often full of bargains. They also have a vintage section of original jackets.

Good luck!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks to both of you guys!! I am a 44 reg, and the ones I see on Ebay are TINY! My budget is not limited per se, I just don't NEED to have this jacket..just WANT one. I'll barely wear it. So with that in mind, Aero is too pricey. Harry.......talk to me!

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Try here. Often you can find one that suits your needs and it is not only a 1930's-style, but an actual jacket from the 1930's. Talk to Cragg Eubanks as they have many more than they can show on the website. Find one you like the look of and give him your price range.

The downside is that some of the ones that I received smell like they are old as well. If you do not like it or it doesn't fit, you can send it back. Go by measurements and not by jacket size though as they run tiny by todays standards.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
36 38 and 40 are commonest sizes from the mid 20th century, but i have still seen plenty your size on ebay...and you'll find plenty among Aero's cheapos I'm sure.

Keep looking, everything turns up on ebay in the end!

I'm sure one thing most people on this site have in common is that they own a lot of clothes they don't actually NEED!! I have around 50 vintage jackets, even though I've found I can only wear one at a time....

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
'Thirties'

...is the word that will cost you...
The '30s jackets, real '30s jackets with real '30s styling, as opposed to ones listed as '30s' are less common, not surprisingly and much rarer than the later decade's offerings. eBay is still probably a good source though, if you LOOK beyond the vintage clothing categories for badly listed ones. But vintage clothing stores hold some bargains.

All the online stores I've browsed )if you can find any true '30s styles) are overpriced/pricey and some of the jackets, especially ones I've seen at http://www.spookcycle.com have been doctored/repaired.

Good luck!

B
T

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
FT my man,
Past experience has taught me that if this is a jacket just for wearing, do NOT purchase an actual 30's jacket unless it you deem the price incredibly cheap. Buy a reproduction. No thread rot/seam splits, near-impossible to replace vintage zippers, flaking/peeling, etc. Just keep checking Aero's sale and used page 'til you find something in your price range. Also, Aero made a few different 1930's styled jackets for the LVC line which show up on eBay all the time. These are beautiful things. Keep an eye open for 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats