Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WANTED: A REAL car... meaning a vintage car ;)

alphy27

One of the Regulars
1968 Austin America

Any one remember this car.
aa1968.jpg

It's supposed to look like this...
1968americafrontdone.jpg

This car is not even that old, 1968. When I got this car it was a driver. On the road regularly. I started the restoration/updating about a year ago. My goal is to make it road worthy for any time use. That means a modern engine and transmission and updating the brakes to modern disc brakes. I'm not a auto mechanic but I've got enough savvy and outside resources to get the job done. I anticipate it's going to take me at least a couple more years to finish. Vintage cars take serious resources, financially and time to dedicate to them. I can't imagine what a car 40's or 50's vintage would take to run on a daily basis. If you've got the itch thou, it is irresistible.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
renor27 said:
Spend your time looking @ cars and truck find what you like and then just keep your eyes open and the right one will fall into your lap.
If you want any advice or ideas or help ( not so much wrenching due to the fact you are in LA and I am in Reno ) but help in terms of what to look for what you might want to stay away from there is an offer on the table
david

Thanks Renor, I kinda already know what I want, two of my friends have plymouths, they're great cars! I would love one of those, but I wouldn't drive it in the rain hahaha

oh and good luck with your car Alphy ;)

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Plymouth

Thanks for the "good luck" I'm gonna need it! I had my eye on an old 40's Plymouth. Love those cars, but my garage is to small. As for you, I don't think your stupid. Just take your time, do your research, keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground. You've obviously caught "the bug" and it doesn't go away easily. The car will come around and you'll fall in love with it, but like any relationship worth having it takes dedication and effort. If I could be so bold as to offer any advice, it would simply be to take it slow. Don't ever rush into a vintage car purchase. Good luck to you!

jtcarrey said:
Thanks Renor, I kinda already know what I want, two of my friends have plymouths, they're great cars! I would love one of those, but I wouldn't drive it in the rain hahaha

oh and good luck with your car Alphy ;)

citRon

A-List Customer
JTC...here is some advice- Check out one of your local Street Rod Clubs. -NOT Hot Rod-totally different group/cars, etc. Street Rods are customized cars through 1948. The street rodders get the cars as projects, and usually, the first thing they do is update the mechanicals. -Modern engine/drivetrain, disc brakes, etc. They always have leads on cars for sale. A friend of mine here who builds streetrods has offerd to build me a daily driver pickup or sedan for 6-8 thousand. Now, granted, for this money, you're not going to get a custom showpiece paintjob and chrome everything, but you can get a nice driving vintage vehicle that won't strand you. -And those guys know everything there is to know about those cars, what works, what doesn't, etc.
Don't get discouraged! Just take your time and see what's out there.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
alphy27 said:
Thanks for the "good luck" I'm gonna need it! I had my eye on an old 40's Plymouth. Love those cars, but my garage is to small. As for you, I don't think your stupid. Just take your time, do your research, keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground. You've obviously caught "the bug" and it doesn't go away easily. The car will come around and you'll fall in love with it, but like any relationship worth having it takes dedication and effort. If I could be so bold as to offer any advice, it would simply be to take it slow. Don't ever rush into a vintage car purchase. Good luck to you!

thank you ;) I'll take my time, don't worry haha

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
rick canavar said:
One vintage car option I've found that works pretty well in balancing out vintage appeal, safety, parts availability and performance is the Volvo 122. Its a very well built car all around and I don't spend too much on repairs and new parts. I was lucky to find mine (Its a '64) since there is zero bondo or rust on the body and the engine, which has never been rebuilt, is still running great.

I live in Portland, Oregon and there seem to be a fair number of 122's around still in the Pacific Northwest and California. Both saloon and wagon models can be found. Its getting harder to find them in good condition since they are very reliable and have usually been driven to death, but its possible to get a good one for less than $5000 (as an estimate)

Also parts are readily available and there are companies that make repro parts and upgrades. IPD in Portland is one of them. You do need to have some mechanical aptitude because you will make repairs and replace parts over time, but less so I've found than with other old cars. Most of the problems I've had have been with rubber components that have won out and need replacement.

For its age the car seems pretty safe, and of course older Volvo's are famous for this. Mine came with factory three point seatbelts. I think Volvo was the only company doing this in the early sixties. The seatbelts can easily be modernized by taking old belts from a Volvo 240, found in pretty much any pull-your-own parts yard. Also the car is built with crumple zones, which were pretty much unheard of at the time.

I get fair gas mileage, about 23 highway, and I'll do better than that when I switch out the weber carb for su dual carbs which was the original type. I can do 65 highway with no problem (4 speed with overdrive) although I rarely do because of the distance I would need to keep from cars ahead of me due to the drum brakes. No doubt you still have to change driving habits to accommodate for the older technology. I use my 122 as a daily, though light, driver and I've very happy with it.

Before this car I tried a '68 land cruiser (simply too much work and terrible mileage) a 65 Galaxy 500 (couldn't keep the thing running) and a 71 BMW 2002 (just didn't feel safe).

Rick

not much into 60's cars but it sounds like you have a rare gem, so congrats on that! as for land cruisers, I can say right now, any Jaguar or Land Rover car is a lemon, I worked for Jaguar service center and they're probably the worst overpriced cars you can buy... new or old... people were coming in with cars only a week old, it's sad really... and BMW's I heard aren't safe cars at all, they're all about "looks" so yea, those expensive cars aren't always what they seem!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
citRon said:
JTC...here is some advice- Check out one of your local Street Rod Clubs. -NOT Hot Rod-totally different group/cars, etc. Street Rods are customized cars through 1948. The street rodders get the cars as projsect, and usually, the first thing they do is update the mechanicals. -Modern engine/drivetrain, disc brakes, etc. They always have leads on cars for sale. A friend of mine here who builds streetrods has offerd to build me a daily driver pickup or sedan for 6-8 thousand. Now, granted, for this money, you're not going to get a custom showpiece paintjob and chrome everything, but you can get a nice driving vintage vehicle that won't strand you. -And those guys know everything there is to know about those cars, what works, what doesn't, etc.
Don't get discouraged! Just take your time and see what's out there.

sounds interesting, I hate improving the past but maybe for a girl, that wouldn't be a bad idea since I don't know much about cars haha

Jay

Practically Family
I would like to submit a simple positive aspect of running an old car. Less stuff to go wrong! My daily driver- 1987 Trans Am- has the weirdest things go wrong with it- Headlights that won't flip up, trunk motors that freeze up and won't close, plastic pieces that snap apart, replacing a fan belt required a box of tools and hours spent moving parts out of the way to get at the thing in the first place, anything electronic is always a pain....

However, my '55 Chevy has a lot less to go wrong. No radio, power windows, power steering, air-conditioner, no complicated computers or electronics, in other words, less BS. 1 fan belt, 6 cylinder engine (that runs like a top, I might add) 3 speed on the column, and it's fun to drive. In fact, in the summer, it's pretty much my daily car. Plus, it has style! People wave when I go, talk and smile at me when they see me in parking lots, it's great.
IMG_0075.jpg

Anyhow, good luck on finding some vintage wheels.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Jay said:
I would like to submit a simple positive aspect of running an old car. Less stuff to go wrong! My daily driver- 1987 Trans Am- has the weirdest things go wrong with it- Headlights that won't flip up, trunk motors that freeze up and won't close, plastic pieces that snap apart, replacing a fan belt required a box of tools and hours spent moving parts out of the way to get at the thing in the first place, anything electronic is always a pain....

However, my '55 Chevy has a lot less to go wrong. No radio, power windows, power steering, air-conditioner, no complicated computers or electronics, in other words, less BS. 1 fan belt, 6 cylinder engine (that runs like a top, I might add) 3 speed on the column, and it's fun to drive. In fact, in the summer, it's pretty much my daily car. Plus, it has style! People wave when I go, talk and smile at me when they see me in parking lots, it's great.
IMG_0075.jpg

Anyhow, good luck on finding some vintage wheels.

sexy car (I can say that cuz I'm a girl lol, wait that made no sense) anyway, I love 50's Chevy's just cuz of the See The USA commercials, yea I'm a dork, but I totally get what you mean, NO ELECTRICITY!! computers are a pain in general, and all the electronic parts are expensive!! That's why I want a vintage car, I'd rather spend $5000 on TONS of parts on an old car than $5000 on like 3 parts on my infiniti and ride in style at the same time... plus they're easier to fix like you said.. so hats off to you! ;) :eusa_clap

Flivver

Practically Family
I've long considered driving a vintage car as daily transportation. But my 80-mile round trip commute to work makes that impractical. So I get as close as I can to vintage iron with a modern car...currently a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. Like a typical 1950s car it is a full-size V8 with body-on-frame construction and rear-wheel-drive. And since the Ford version of this car is used as a police cruiser, they're quite durable too. I also have two Chevy Caprices that actually are ex-police cars.

But, if you have your heart set on a real vintage car, you might want to check out the May 2008 issue of Cars & Parts magazine. In it they tell how to make a beautiful 1956 Ford safe to drive in modern traffic. They explain how to retrofit modern disc brakes and suspension components from more modern Fords to allow the '56 to handle and stop like a modern vehicle.

The poor braking and handling ability of pre-1965 cars shouldn't be taken lightly. Other drivers have no idea that an old car can't respond like a modern one so they're likely to put you in some dangerous situations.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Flivver said:
I've long considered driving a vintage car as daily transportation. But my 80-mile round trip commute to work makes that impractical. So I get as close as I can to vintage iron with a modern car...currently a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis. Like a typical 1950s car it is a full-size V8 with body-on-frame construction and rear-wheel-drive. And since the Ford version of this car is used as a police cruiser, they're quite durable too. I also have two Chevy Caprices that actually are ex-police cars.

But, if you have your heart set on a real vintage car, you might want to check out the May 2008 issue of Cars & Parts magazine. In it they tell how to make a beautiful 1956 Ford safe to drive in modern traffic. They explain how to retrofit modern disc brakes and suspension components from more modern Fords to allow the '56 to handle and stop like a modern vehicle.

The poor braking and handling ability of pre-1965 cars shouldn't be taken lightly. Other drivers have no idea that an old car can't respond like a modern one so they're likely to put you in some dangerous situations.

Are most modern cars today built with disc brakes? cuz my moms 2005 Corolla had drum brakes... I dunno... I didn't know brakes were such a big thing, my car now has worn out rotors on the discs and I still drive it haha as dangerous as it is... it has new brake pads but they don't grab the discs properly, oh well... can't afford to spend $1500 on new rotors and brakes...

Flivver

Practically Family
jtcarrey said:
Are most modern cars today built with disc brakes? cuz my moms 2005 Corolla had drum brakes... I dunno... I didn't know brakes were such a big thing, my car now has worn out rotors on the discs and I still drive it haha as dangerous as it is... it has new brake pads but they don't grab the discs properly, oh well... can't afford to spend $1500 on new rotors and brakes...

All cars built today have at least front disc brakes with rear drum brakes...but most now have discs at all four wheels. The '05 Corolla will use drums only in the rear with discs in the front. The front brakes do most of the braking so some smaller cars like the Corolla can stop quite fast even with discs only on the front. The prime advantage to disc brakes is that they cool better to prevent brake fade after repeated applications, and they are much more resistant to water after driving through a big puddle.

Brakes are a *huge* deal, especially in congested traffic. If your car has poor brakes (leading to long stopping distances) and the car in front of you stops quickly, you may not be able to stop fast enough to avoid a collision.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
yea true....well don't drive around me, I can gladly say I've never been in an accident or even rear ended anyone *knock on wood* but with my brakes now, you never know haha so watch out!

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, you balance me out, then. When I was racing (especially road racing), I was always working on the brakes. As in a sanding of pads, rotors, shoes and drums after a 30 minute session, and a full overhaul every week. :eek:

Brakes take a beating, and they're the most changed in design over the years of anything else on a car.

If I ever get another old car, the braking system is the first thing I'm going to change. No more single master cylinder, drum brakes for me. I don't mind the drums on the rear, but the fronts are going to be discs and the master cylinder will be a dual. :D

Oh, and if the old thing had *mechanical* brakes, it's going to get *hydraulic* ones, and forget about authenticity!

Later!

Stan

silvershadow

New in Town
I hope you find your vintage car. I've found the 60s cars to be the best compromise, my 1966 Silver Shadow (hence my name) has electric windows, automatic, air conditioning, power steering, powerful brakes, and it's a pleasure to drive, and currently my only car (daily driver).

About ten years ago I bought a 1955 Humber Super Snipe (Mark 4) for $4000 which I drove all over Australia - so there is hope for your search!

My advice, buy a car from a dedicated car club member - because we like to look after our cars and you may be lucky to find a car that has had a lot of work already done to it. I have receipts for over $20,000 for my Silver Shadow from the previous owner. That doesn't mean, of course, that I haven't had to do anything, I'm overhauling the hydramatic transmission at the moment, have re-done the air, shock absorbers, etc, etc...but at least I know that any time I get into that car, I will get to my destination.

I also like to think of it like this: If you buy a newish car with a loan from the bank, you're going to be paying probably $500 per month for a number of years to service the loan. If you set that money aside for repairs and parts, there will be few nasty surprises.

My experience with old cars:

1978 Triumph 2500S
1955 Humber Super Snipe (Mark 4)
1956 Humber Hawk
1968 Humber Super Snipe (Series VA)
1974 Rover 3500
1988 Daimler XJ-40
1966 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

If I had more garage space, I'd be shopping right now for a Citroen DS and a Wolseley from the 1950s. Wouldn't mind a 1930s Packard...

Good luck with your search - and even with any problems I've had with my cars, I'd never drive a new car (unless I was sponsored with one of those nice new Bentleys!)

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
once again, thank you gentleman, good find with your Silver Shadow Mr. Shadow hahaha however, I kinda like the convenience of having windows that are crank, I'll tell ya why, all the windows except one in my current car do not go down and it costs about $800 PER window to fix them, not worth it in my opinion... I used to be all about automatic windows but now, not so much, I can see what a pain they are... you should see the look on people's faces when I go to a new car dealership and ask if they have cars with crank windows hahaha ahhhh well, cars are fun no matter what, but someday I'll find my dream car :) thanks for all your help ya mugs! lol lol lol

Chas

One Too Many
Two words for you, darlin'.

Plymouth.

Valiant.

The slant-six is the best production engine ever. If the body and tranny are in good shape, and if properly maintained, it will last forever. And after-market parts are plentiful and cheap.

Simplicity, reliability and they look nice enough.
1967PlymouthValiantSignet4doorSedan01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo