Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

War of the Worlds........

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...on satelite radio!
The Original Mercury Theater Production of War of the Worlds
Mon 10/30 8:00 pm ET
8 pm ET, October 30, 1938. A nation tuning in to CBS Radio heard a startling broadcast: Earth was being invaded by beings from Mars...

Orson Welles' Mercury Theatre radio adaptation of H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds originally aired as a Halloween special. Welles' genius was to set the story, not in late-19th century England, as in the original, but in 1938 New Jersey, and perform it like a news broadcast. Reportedly, many listeners believed the invasion was real.

8 pm ET, October 30th, 2006. RadioClassics will re-broadcast of the original Mercury Theater production of The War of the Worlds. Listen as a nation did nearly 70 years ago.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And yet another point on the side of satellite radio. I have yet to invest in it, but keep hearing all of these great broadcasts that I'm missing.
This sure sounds like a great one. Please let us know how it is....

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
as Dr. B. Banzai can tell you...

It wasn't martians that landed in Grover's Mill. It was evil, pure and simple, from the Eighth Dimension.;)

Sincerely,
<-------

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
Yes, LizzieMaine, that was an insightful article... cool you were tapped for info, too!

"War of the Worlds" is also offered for free at http://www.mercurytheatre.info, along with every other broadcast they did. But maybe some of you already knew this!

It also includes a great interview/roundtable between Wells and Welles from 1940. XM played this after their Worlds broadcast, and I got a really kick out of these two guys discussing their work.

They also played an interview with the last surviving cast member (forgotten his name), and I wonder if that is also somewhere out on the 'net.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy