War of the Worlds........

Discussion in 'Radio' started by flat-top, Oct 28, 2006.

1. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

...on satelite radio!
    The Original Mercury Theater Production of War of the Worlds
    Mon 10/30 8:00 pm ET
    8 pm ET, October 30, 1938. A nation tuning in to CBS Radio heard a startling broadcast: Earth was being invaded by beings from Mars...

Orson Welles' Mercury Theatre radio adaptation of H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds originally aired as a Halloween special. Welles' genius was to set the story, not in late-19th century England, as in the original, but in 1938 New Jersey, and perform it like a news broadcast. Reportedly, many listeners believed the invasion was real.

8 pm ET, October 30th, 2006. RadioClassics will re-broadcast of the original Mercury Theater production of The War of the Worlds. Listen as a nation did nearly 70 years ago.

2. CharlieH.

CharlieH. One Too Many

I listen to that one every year, and it always gives me the creeps... especially when the lights are low and I have a few vintage publications nearby.

3. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

WoW

War of The Worlds,like enfant terribleWelles,
    a classic-that seems more bark than bite.

4. Daisy Buchanan

Daisy Buchanan My Mail is Forwarded Here

And yet another point on the side of satellite radio. I have yet to invest in it, but keep hearing all of these great broadcasts that I'm missing.
    This sure sounds like a great one. Please let us know how it is....

5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

6. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

as Dr. B. Banzai can tell you...

It wasn't martians that landed in Grover's Mill. It was evil, pure and simple, from the Eighth Dimension.;)

Sincerely,
    <-------

7. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I bought this program on cd a couple of years ago. It is fun to listen to.

8. BegintheBeguine

BegintheBeguine My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thank you LizzieMaine. That was a good article, and links. Now i am going to listen to the Mercury Theatre Dracula, after having watched the Mongoose Murder Mystery video. Chores? They can wait. :D

9. VivianRegan

VivianRegan One of the Regulars

Yes, LizzieMaine, that was an insightful article... cool you were tapped for info, too!

"War of the Worlds" is also offered for free at http://www.mercurytheatre.info, along with every other broadcast they did. But maybe some of you already knew this!

It also includes a great interview/roundtable between Wells and Welles from 1940. XM played this after their Worlds broadcast, and I got a really kick out of these two guys discussing their work.

They also played an interview with the last surviving cast member (forgotten his name), and I wonder if that is also somewhere out on the 'net.