Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm Christmas Drinks

amador

A-List Customer
When I was a child we would have "Te de Anise" Of course it had Anise and the addition of Canela (cinnamon). No measurements kept adding anise or cinnamon to taste.
This tea was also used to make "Pan de Polvo" and "Semitas De Anise". So at some point we would have Tea while waiting for the comfection or the bread. Dipping the Semita into the tea would soften it up after it had dried out in a day or two. The whole house would have the smell of Christmas.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Quick and easy mulled wine. (If you can't buy the mulled wine sachets). Take a square of muslin, fill it with a chopped up cinnamon stick or two, some cloves, nutmeg, some allspice, basically whatever spices you have in the cupboard. Take a bottle of red wine, about half a pint of orange juice, (if you would like it more or less alcoholic then add to taste). Put all the ingredients in a saucepan, add some extra chopped orange slices and another cinnamon stick, simmer gently, not bringing to the boil for about half an hour, then remove from the heat and leave to infuse until needed. Then gently reheat before serving.

Steve

Practically Family
Not a conventionally American tradition, but I'm a big fan of the warming comfort of Masala chai on a cold evening. Steeped in water and cream and spice with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and some form of sweetener (I'm a stevia man myself), it's a glass of heaven every time.

I go to India once a year and have friends that do the same, so there's always some authentic chai around my place, but store-bought teas will suffice if you can get it in leaf form instead of pre-packaged bags.

Last edited:

Connery

One Too Many
I just had peppermint tea(herbal) after singing Christmas songs and it was very soothing and refreshing. :)

TidiousTed

Practically Family
As The Holiday season is fast approaching, here is a fun punch recipe which purports to be inspired by Charles Dickens own Gin Punch recipe from 1850.

tumblr_lvwdtsBWk31qayo3s.jpg

Ingredients (for six people):
Three brimming teacups of Hendrick’s gin
Another three of Madeira wine
Three cloves
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Large teaspoon of cinnamon powder
Two teaspoons of brown sugar
Six large lemon and orange twists
Small slice of orange
One fresh pineapple
Four large spoons of honey
Juice of two lemons

Preparations:
Mix all ingredients in a pot. Warm but not quite till ebullition. Let your concoction cook without boiling for 20 minutes to a half hour. While it cooks the taste will change, make it to your own taste balancing the sweet/sour balance with honey and lemon. You can also re warm the mix, sometimes the punch will get better and better as you cook it more and more. When you think it is ready, pour in a teapot and serve hot in tea cups with gingerbread on the side.

Adapted from the original 1850 recipe found in the book Drinking with Dickens by Cedric Dickens, Great-Grandson of Charles Dickens, this recipe is inspired by Charles Dickens’ own gin punch recipe, so it is the etiquette to quote while pouring the first cup: “Punch, my dear Copperfield, like time and tide, waits for no man,” David Copperfield, 1850.

Charlie Dickens Himself particularly loved the ritual of mixing the evening glass of Gin Punch, which he performed with all the energy and discrimination of Mr. Micawber.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
What about a buffet-style hot chocolate bar?

Start off with a pot or 2 of hot chocolate (maybe a couple of different flavors) and some fun holiday mugs, then set out the toppings for everyone to make their own. Whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate dipped marshmallows, ground nutmeg & cinnamon, cayenne pepper or coarse salt, candy canes or sticks for stirring - peppermint, cinnamon or orange would be nice, caramel squares, chocolate chips, Andes mints, maybe a couple of flavored syrups. Coffee would also be a nice addition for the non-cocoa drinkers, or so guests can make mochas.

Last edited:

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I love hot mulled wine in the winter, but for a non-alcoholic alternative, I offer mulled cider. It's really easy. I just take apple juice (either bottled or concentrated) and heat it with a packet of mulling spices in it. It's non-alcoholic, excellent, and not a lot of hassle.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What about a buffet-style hot chocolate bar?

Start off with a pot or 2 of hot chocolate (maybe a couple of different flavors) and some fun holiday mugs, then set out the toppings for everyone to make their own. Whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate dipped marshmallows, ground nutmeg & cinnamon, cayenne pepper or coarse salt, candy canes or sticks for stirring - peppermint, cinnamon or orange would be nice, caramel squares, chocolate chips, Andes mints, maybe a couple of flavored syrups. Coffee would also be a nice addition for the non-cocoa drinkers, or so guests can make mochas.

Hi Fort Worth Gal

Sounds good, but you need good quality Cinnamon Schnapps, Peppermint Schnapps, and Creme-de-Menthe to go in there too. I bought the second cheapest Cinnamon Schnapps this year and it's not "Hot Damn!" that I usually get. I should have just gotten Rumple Mintz.

My kids made some Peppermint candy using smashed candy canes and almond bark. I put a piece on top of an Oreo and that's just good.

Later

HepKitty

One Too Many
ooh these drinks sound fabu, especially the gin punch! I got an email just today from Trader Joe's (wish there were one here, saw 3 in LA!) with a slew of warm drinks, sorry about the one with alcohol and all the unpaid advertising for TJ's

http://www.traderjoes.com/recipes/index.asp these are found in the desserts section

Creamy Coconut Cocoa
• 1 package TJ's Coconut Milk Unsweetened
• 1/2 cup TJ's White Chocolate Chips
• 1/2 teaspoon TJ's Bourbon Vanilla Extract
• 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
• TJ's Whipped Cream (optional)
Pour coconut milk into medium-sized saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Add white chocolate chips and stir until melted and hot, but not boiling. Remove from heat, mix in vanilla and cinnamon. Pour into mugs and garnish with whipped cream or as desired.

Hot Coffee Nog
• 1 1/2 cups TJ's Coffee Blast Ice Cream
• 1 1/2 cups TJ's Light Eggnog
• 1 cup TJ's Wintry Blend Coffee, brewed hot and strong
In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the coffee ice cream over low heat. Stir in the eggnog and the coffee and continue to heat until the mixture is hot, but not simmering. Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream, if desired.

Red-Nose Rudolph's Punch
• 3 cups TJ's Spiced Cranberry Cider
• 1 1/2 cups TJ's Fresh Orange Juice, No Pulp
• 1 tablespoon Juice of a TJ's Lemon
• 2 tablespoons TJ's Honey
In a medium-sized saucepan, combine cider and orange juice. Heat over medium heat until hot, but not boiling. Add lemon juice and honey and stir until mixed together. Pour and serve hot.

Hot Mint Chocynog
• 2 cups TJ's Mint Chip (or Candy Cane) Ice Cream
• 1 cup TJ's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
• 2 cups TJ's Light Eggnog
In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the ice cream and chocolate chips over medium-low heat. Stir in the eggnog, and heat gently over low heat until very warm, but not boiling. Remove from heat and pour into mugs. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

TJ’s Gluewein (Magical Mulled Wine)
• 1/2 cup TJ's Charles Shaw Merlot*
• 1/2 cup TJ's Spiced Cider
*Charles Shaw Merlot is only available in stores where wine is sold. (Trust us; if we could... we would!). In a microwave-safe mug, pour in the wine and spiced cider. Heat in microwave until mixture is hot but not boiling (power/time will vary depending on microwave used). Cheers!!!

Hot Choconana
• 1 TJ's Banana, cut into pieces
• 1 cup TJ's 1% Milk
• 1/2 cup TJ's Super Premium Ultra Chocolate Ice Cream
• 1 mini bar (1.75 oz.) Milk Chocolate Bar, broken into pieces
Place banana and milk in a blender and whip together until smooth and creamy. Pour the banana-milk mixture into a medium saucepan, add chocolate ice cream and heat gently over medium-low heat. Add the chocolate pieces, stirring the mixture to melt the chocolate pieces. Heat until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is hot, but not boiling. Pour into mugs and serve with whipped cream, if desired.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ That coconut cocoa sounds delicious!

Hi Fort Worth Gal

Sounds good, but you need good quality Cinnamon Schnapps, Peppermint Schnapps, and Creme-de-Menthe to go in there too. I bought the second cheapest Cinnamon Schnapps this year and it's not "Hot Damn!" that I usually get. I should have just gotten Rumple Mintz.

Personally I agree with you, even though I typically do Bailey's in my hot chocolate, but Grant Fan did specify non-alcoholic drinks for this particular occasion. :)

Connery

One Too Many
ooh these drinks sound fabu, especially the gin punch! I got an email just today from Trader Joe's (wish there were one here, saw 3 in LA!) with a slew of warm drinks, sorry about the one with alcohol and all the unpaid advertising for TJ's

http://www.traderjoes.com/recipes/index.asp these are found in the desserts section

This all looks yummy!!! Unfortunately, I know me, by the time I am finished preparing these beverages for my guests I would be half crocked myself with my own concoctions from under the table.lol

HepKitty

One Too Many
Arabic Cinnamon Drink

3 cups water
1 tablespoon cinnamon
5 medium cinnamon sticks
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder (if using fresh ginger lessen quantity a bit)
3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon pine nuts
Boil all the ingredients in a saucepan except nuts on high heat, then simmer for 15 minutes. Strain into cups. Garnish with nuts. Serve hot.

Chocolate Peppermint Tea

8 ounces water
1 peppermint tea bag
3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 (1 g) packet sugar, to taste
1-2 tablespoon non-dairy coffee creamer or cream
whipped cream, to top
chocolate syrup, to top
crushed ice (optional)
Microwave water in a mug until hot. Place tea bag in hot water and steep for a few minutes. Discard tea bag. Stir in chocolate syrup, sugar, and creamer. Pour over crushed ice in a tall glass if desired cool (though I'd prefer hot). Top with whipped cream and drizzled chocolate syrup.

Pumpkin Mocha

Hot coffee or espresso
1 cup milk (any kind, but the creamier the better - like cream or half & half)
2 tsp powdered chocolate drink mix (again, Ovaltine makes it creamier, but Quik works, too... straight cocoa powder instead of drink mix gives it a dark chocolate taste)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Whipped cream (optional)
Sprinkle of nutmeg (optional)

Heat the milk.
Whisk in the cocoa powder, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
Blend for 7-10 seconds for a more frothy consistency.

Fill mugs with half coffee or espresso, and half hot pumpkin mocha mixture.

Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko