Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warm climates...what does one wear the rest of the year?

tk1971

New in Town
Here in sunny southern California, it gets cold enough only in the winters and late fall for a jacket. Having said that, I recently discovered this place and have 3 jackets to show for it. It's starting to warm up and in fact, I went out the door this morning sans jacket.

Moto styled jackets are not a prob, since I ride... but just a general question: What does one wear (obsess over) the rest of the year before fall/winter starts up?

tk1971

New in Town
Hawaiian shirts. Sun Surf makes a TON of different colors/types.

That is an excellent idea. The few I have come from friends / family who have been to Hawaii. Sadly, I've never been there, but I will start a collection for casual Fridays.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That is an excellent idea. The few I have come from friends / family who have been to Hawaii. Sadly, I've never been there, but I will start a collection for casual Fridays.

Do it! They get interesting when you start obsessing over the different fabrics. But they're fun, and the chest pockets are very functional.
My first bit of advice was to just tough it out and wear your leathers in the summer as much as tolerable (I try to here in NorCal), but then I realized you lived in SoCal and it can get much hotter there.
There is no "best" hawaiian shirt brand, but the catalogue of these is just immense. It will at least keep you busy for a bit.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search?pf=&pt=&f=0&fs=0&vm=2&sm=0&st=&tl=0&k=Sun+
surf
Sun Surf actually digs up vintage patterns to use on their shirts!
Another brand held in high esteem is Avanti, though I personally don't own any of their shirts yet.

But truthfully, there are cool designs/quality to be found across the entire Hawaiian shirt spectrum. I just picked up a few (in Torance actually) at Costco that are great.
Have fun.
I also forgot to add that many "top tier" Aloha/Hawaiian shirts go for less money than a new Tommy Bahama at Macy's, so you're getting better quality for less! But, ill admit that even TB makes some nice shirts!

Last edited:
I have Reyn Spooner shirts that have lasted for 20 years with regular wear...and they never go outta style! They are the inside-out ones not the silkies though. Some even show SoCal scenes like the Balboa Pavillion...

Cooperson

One Too Many

Which we had to worry about such things. Snowed in today and the forecast is for 2 more days of it! The new Kudu Pioneer has been put away and the peacoats are out!

Hal

Practically Family
Snowed in today and the forecast is for 2 more days of it!..and the peacoats are out!
The snow has prevented me from travelling north today to meet a friend and getting about is a pain. But otherwise, low temperatures have it when it comes to clothes - it's much easier to be stylish when the temperatures are lower - I feel "properly dressed" in outer coat and headgear, and would be happy not to experience temperatures of over 25C.

frussell

One Too Many
In the Southern California desert area, daytime=shorts, tshirt, straw hat and sandals, nights inside with AC=whatever leather jacket I'm trying to break in, since they always seem to arrive after our brief winter is gone. I'm expecting an Aero, and we've already broken 90 degrees several times this month. Frank

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm watching snow swirling outside my office window at this very moment and planning that Irvin. Longest. Winter. Ever!:eeek:

Yeah..it's been snowing off and on with temps hovering around 30 all month here in Indiana, Last year at this time I had mowed the yard a couple times and it was slightly over 80 degrees...:(

majormajor

One Too Many
Yeah..it's been snowing off and on with temps hovering around 30 all month here in Indiana, Last year at this time I had mowed the yard a couple times and it was slightly over 80 degrees...:(

Hi HD

We are enjoying similar differences between 2012 and 2013. Just skidded home in driving snow. This time last year, it was Hawaiian shirt weather. I haven't opened the Hawaiian wardrobe yet this year, but I bet there's more of 'em in there!:D;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Freezing with flurries here, I wore the LHB and was chilled even with a scarf, fedora (brim up) and gloves. If the winter's are going to stay like this that Irvin's really gonna pay for itself.

Worf

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep, today was an Irvin day for sure. The scooters still sulking under it's cover in the yard & the hound's hogging the fire. Enjoyed looking at a few Sun Surf shirts and remembering what the sun looked & felt like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen