Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watch out for hatsupply.com

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Zemke Fan said:
But, I wager that absorbing these costs KEPT this person as a customer and it's likely (isn't it?) that he will be a long-time, repeat customer?

I could tell you TEN different stories about clothing that I have purchased from Nordstrom over the years that for one reason or another disappointed me. All of the items in question were cheerfully accepted for exchange/refund regardless of age and condition. (I don't abuse this kind of customer service/return policy, but I certainly insist on getting what I pay for, and if I'm not happy I let them know it.) The lesson: Nordstrom has my unwaivering loyalty. Other than occasional forays on eBay, I shop no where else but Nordstrom and their outlet, Nordstrom Rack. -- ZF

Your experience brings to mind something a Dist. Manager told me early in my career. He told me that if a customer contacted him, he would do whatever it took to make them happy. My choice was, (1) do I want to be the bad guy that says no, or, (2) do I want to be the hero in the customers mind. I chose to be the hero, my stores were always tops in customer service and always made sales gains. Do we see a pattern here?

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Babydoll said:
Bud, funny you should mention those three... I have a huge flipchart with them on it for the "proper greeting" portion of my classes. :)

Unless I miss my guess, I think I know who you train for, and you probably know who I managed for. Our companies worked together on several programs in warehousing and distribution.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well said, Bud-n,

Bud-n-Texas said:
moustache, I was in retail for close to 2 decades as well. From a managers view there is an old saying that has and always will be true. The CUSTOMER is always right. Even when facts may be against the customer, he is still always right. Any retailer that can not grasp this theory, will only be a retailer for a short time. A one time buyer is not what it is about, repeat business is the ticket. There are many things that I despise about Walmart, but they understand customer appreciation. Case in point, they set return standards in the retail industry that changed the rules for all of us. Door greeters are another. The door greeter program does what? 1st it is a welcome, a smiling face from the moment one enters the store, 2nd it is the last impression a shopper has upon leaving the store. Typically the greeter is an elderly man or lady, just like grandma or grandpa. Gee do we see a pattern here? Contrived it may be, but it works. Walmart understands customer relations and are the largest retailer in the world.

You have nailed it my friend! I'm buyin' it!
-dixon cannon

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
I know from my dealing with Joel that he is a stand-up guy and very understanding in situations that don't pan out as expected. Please don't read my posts as questioning anything that Joel has stated. However, being that I have had pleasant dealings with this company, I felt it only fair to post the information so that anyone wandering along and reading this thread can see that there is more than one point of view. There is no reason to be rude to a customer, especially if they are being pleasant, and I know Joel is a pleasant guy.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
But, I wager that absorbing these costs KEPT this person as a customer and it's likely (isn't it?) that he will be a long-time, repeat customer?

Actually, no. He ordered a commissioned hat and had the impatience of a stranger. He cleared the check the same day the CC was charged back.

He has no hat, and we were out $30.00 and change.

We aren't a big congolemartion making huge profits. It is better to refund when someone is impatient. I know that you can't buy a Montecristi outside of Montecristi for what we charge, so they'll lose eventually. I certainly did not expect a chargeback after a check had cleared, but that shows what kind of person this fellow lounge member is.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Well...

Panamabob said:
Actually, no. He ordered a commissioned hat and had the impatience of a stranger. He cleared the check the same day the CC was charged back.

He has no hat, and we were out $30.00 and change.

We aren't a big congolemartion making huge profits. It is better to refund when someone is impatient. I know that you can't buy a Montecristi outside of Montecristi for what we charge, so they'll lose eventually. I certainly did not expect a chargeback after a check had cleared, but that shows what kind of person this fellow lounge member is.
The REST of us will be, I wager...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
It sounds to me like the primary problem is the female employe who was rude. I'd say she either needs a major attitude adjustment or a chance to learn the phrase "Would you like fries with that?"

There is ZERO chance I will do business with hatsupply.com after reading this thread. Why take a chance on them when there are many other vendors - some of whom participate in this forum?

Were I the owner, I would be reading this thread every day. I hope he will have a heart-to-heart with the employee. I count at least two people in this thread who are unhappy with their interactions with that employee - and consider, this is a VERY small sample of their customers. There's enough smoke that I would consider the possibility there's fire as well.

hargist

One of the Regulars
Hollywood Hatters

In this age of big box stores, I enjoy frequenting small independent retailers. Doing business with them seems more personal, but when things don't go well, or worse if the retailer is rude to me, that too seems more personal which is worse than if it happened at a big retailer because it's the owner telling me that he or she doesn't want my business. Therefore, I believe it's imperative for the small business owner to give excellent service to his/her customers because this is what will keep people coming back instead of driving them to mega stores that may be more convenient and inexpensive.

With that in mind, I'd like to tip my hat to Hollywood Hatters: http://www.hollywoodhatters.com

They have always given me personal, excellent service. I referred someone to them recently who complimented my hat. I ran into this fellow the other day and he said that he bought three hats from them and had two of the hat bands replaced with wider ones. He raved about their service.

Another friend recently went to Hollywood Hatters to get his hat reshaped from a center crease to a diamond crease. The person helping him spent 15 minutes reshaping it and didn't even charge him, so my friend tipped him $10.

That's the kind of service that keeps customers coming back.

moustache

Practically Family
Bud-n-Texas said:
moustache, I was in retail for close to 2 decades as well. From a managers view there is an old saying that has and always will be true. The CUSTOMER is always right. Even when facts may be against the customer, he is still always right. Any retailer that can not grasp this theory, will only be a retailer for a short time. A one time buyer is not what it is about, repeat business is the ticket. There are many things that I despise about Walmart, but they understand customer appreciation. Case in point, they set return standards in the retail industry that changed the rules for all of us. Door greeters are another. The door greeter program does what? 1st it is a welcome, a smiling face from the moment one enters the store, 2nd it is the last impression a shopper has upon leaving the store. Typically the greeter is an elderly man or lady, just like grandma or grandpa. Gee do we see a pattern here? Contrived it may be, but it works. Walmart understands customer relations and are the largest retailer in the world.

Here is where we disagree.The customer is NOT always right.They are imperfect human beings just as the seller.I have customers who have tried to steal from me every day yet they are still my customers.This does not mean they are always right.
Southwets airlines President and CEO once said in a tape to his employees that the customer is not always right.He can be a drunk,a drug dealer,etc,etc.And if he boards my plane and creates havoc,we will take him off our plane.ANd they have been the #1 airline in the country for many years now AND making a profit.
One will never make all of the customers happy is my point.And people need to be treated with respect no matter what their line of legal work.My wife woks for a fast food dealer and you won't believe how badly customers treat her.Not all.But it can only take a few to ruin a day.And i know everyone says"tell her to get a different job!".But it doesn't matter what job.Everyone has to put up with it somewhere.

I love my job and my customers(well,most of them :)) .And even when they have a bad day or accuse me of something,i will take the heat.The first time.But i'm a human.I think. We all have a breaking point and thats where ,customer or not,we need to defend ourselves. This case here is not that.Here the vendor screwed up and didn't act responsibly.Thats his fault.
I'm only trying defend the rights of the seller as well.

Just my .02

JD

JD

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
moustache said:
Here is where we disagree.The customer is NOT always right.They are imperfect human beings just as the seller.I have customers who have tried to steal from me every day yet they are still my customers.This does not mean they are always right.
Southwets airlines President and CEO once said in a tape to his employees that the customer is not always right.He can be a drunk,a drug dealer,etc,etc.And if he boards my plane and creates havoc,we will take him off our plane.ANd they have been the #1 airline in the country for many years now AND making a profit.
One will never make all of the customers happy is my point.And people need to be treated with respect no matter what their line of legal work.My wife woks for a fast food dealer and you won't believe how badly customers treat her.Not all.But it can only take a few to ruin a day.And i know everyone says"tell her to get a different job!".But it doesn't matter what job. Everyone has to put up with it somewhere.

JD

I have to chime in one your post, and I am in strong agreement. When a customer is profane whether it be to an employee or owner, then I draw the line and ask them to take their business elsewhere. I can't believe they are out there and act that way even before purchasing something! Part of owning your own small business, is that you don't have to kiss up to rude and profane people that a large employer would require you to do. Everyone deserves respect. I won't allow anyone to be disrespectful, even if it were for a $1000 hat! I would send them away. I would also never subject employees to profane or disrespectful treatment from customers. Customers are not always right. But a vendor must fess up to any mistakes and fix them promptly, even if the customer is rude. Just my 2 cents. I normally wouldn't spout off like this, but since I have referred some folks to Hat Supply, I thought I should make my position clear. I am sorry that those I referred suffered a bad experience, and can only hope that things will improve to the level that I experience with this company.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
I fail to see a disagreement. I did not say that the thief, the dealer, or the drunk are always right. They are what they are, when you define them as a thief, they are a criminal as are the other two you reference. Working with the public is not and never has been easy. It takes a person with a thick hide and a special type of personality to be a good and profitable retailer. Some have it some do not. I restate my stance and have a track record that I have posted previously to support my claim. The Customer is always right, to the retailer that plans on a prosperous company. A retailer that chooses to limit himself or herself to like minded shoppers will tap into a very small percentage of the consuming public. By doing so will self impose limits on his or her endeavor..

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Bud-n-Texas said:
I fail to see a disagreement. I did not say that the thief, the dealer, or the drunk are always right. They are what they are, when you define them as a thief, they are a criminal as are the other two you reference. Working with the public is not and never has been easy. It takes a person with a thick hide and a special type of personality to be a good and profitable retailer. Some have it some do not. I restate my stance and have a track record that I have posted previously to support my claim. The Customer is always right, to the retailer that plans on a prosperous company. A retailer that chooses to limit himself or herself to like minded shoppers will tap into a very small percentage of the consuming public. By doing so will self impose limits on his or her endeavor..

Here Here Bud! I am in agreement that any limits experienced by a retailer are usually SELF IMPOSED, and many rightly so as to not grow beyond ones britches, goals or desires.

BigSho

Vendor
thefedorastore said:
I won't allow anyone to be disrespectful, even if it were for a $1000 hat! I would send them away.
I had a guy in our store once that wanted to purchase 6 hats once. However, a lot of the customers that come in think that we run a discount store, and the prices on the hat are there for no reason. So anyway logn story short this guy would not stop hounding me for a discount and was being quite rude and loud about it. I pulled him outside (which I have had to do a few times) told him I couldn't have that type of behavior in my store and if he didn't like my prices he should shop somewhere else, and he left. It is just not worth it sometimes and the customer is not always right.

Customer service on the other hand is something that I consider a lost art that most big companies don't understand. MOST small buisnesses I think though understand that good customer service is the only weapon they have. I met the owner of a few bars in Chicago here that are in some pretty yuppy places. He just came and sat down at the bar next to me and bought me and my friend our next 3 rounds. I thanked him and we actually had a very logn conversation about customer service, and how much people appreciate that attention only a small buisness can give.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

moustache

Practically Family
:eusa_clap
BigSho said:
I had a guy in our store once that wanted to purchase 6 hats once. However, a lot of the customers that come in think that we run a discount store, and the prices on the hat are there for no reason. So anyway logn story short this guy would not stop hounding me for a discount and was being quite rude and loud about it. I pulled him outside (which I have had to do a few times) told him I couldn't have that type of behavior in my store and if he didn't like my prices he should shop somewhere else, and he left. It is just not worth it sometimes and the customer is not always right.

Customer service on the other hand is something that I consider a lost art that most big companies don't understand. MOST small buisnesses I think though understand that good customer service is the only weapon they have. I met the owner of a few bars in Chicago here that are in some pretty yuppy places. He just came and sat down at the bar next to me and bought me and my friend our next 3 rounds. I thanked him and we actually had a very logn conversation about customer service, and how much people appreciate that attention only a small buisness can give.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Well put. I think all of us here understand the others viewpoint.Customer service is a critical issue and we all like to be treated well.But is is reciprocal.It needs to be done both ways or the seller will do just as Jeremy had to do and refuse to serve them.Remember when a sign used to be displayed that read"We reserve the right to refuse service"?.I don't see that much anymore.Same with"No shoes,no shirt,no service".Seems almost anything goes anymore.Small and large businesses alike want to take care of a customer.But limits are there for a reason.

JD

Pilgrim

One Too Many
My experience in retail was selling cars for a couple of years while earning my Master's degree. I certainly learned about the variability of customer behavior, and I also learned that some people will NOT be made happy no matter what you do.

I recall one customer who was near the end of a deal (and a very fair one), then raised a ruckus about paying $50 for undercoating. Well, the undercoating was already on the car. He stalked out of my office, ranted up and down the showroom and demanded to see the manager. I was standing next to the manager's office (although the customer didn't know that) when I assessed the guy's behavior, and said to him firmly: "If you want to settle down, behave yourself and talk civilly, I'll get the Manager for you. But if you want to keep acting the way you are, the door is RIGHT behind you." And I pointed right over his shoulder.

He took the door. I was happy that he did. And the Manager came out of his office and thanked me for doing what I did. He said "I don't need that from anyone".

Although earlier in this thread I stated that the female employee at hatsupply.com needs an attitude adjustment, I don't believe she should be fired. I DO think she needs to explain herself to the owner, and that her attitude probably needs to change. MOST customers are not problematic, and MOST people will respond well to a caring, thoughtful (but businesslike) person on the other end of the phone. That is a talent attached to that phone manner, but you MUST hire for that talent in someone who is on your lifeline - the telephone.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen!

All of my work experience has been in retail, and I pride myself on fabulous customer service. I find though, that these days courtesy does not go both ways, and there is sadly little support from the managers.
After working in a lingerie store for three weeks I had a "gentleman" ask me in all seriousness if I would "meet him in the changing room" this was in front of my manager, who didn't defend me in any way shape or form.:rage:
I have been raised to be polite at all times so I bit down very firmly on my tongue, but I really wish I had raised a fuss. In my experience salespeople are braced for rude treatment and ususally give it before they get it.

It's too bad really, I miss good customer service, and am a regular face at the places where I get it.

Hope your holidays were festive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner