Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Water Based Pomade specifically.

flyboy_fx

New in Town
Hi everyone, this is actually a first post of mine. I've been a super long stalker of the forums and have just registered! I'm just starting to venture into the dressy lifestyle with my first purchase being a stetson fedora for my 20th B-day. This is another glimmer of hope this style wont die! I'm young and I'll be keeping this style alive until I pass! :D

Anyway, I've been playing around with my hair the past half-a-year and have been growing a longer style. I've tried a couple pomades and they make my acne very bad. I am already struggling with acne, so I can not use traditional pomade. I've read online that the traditional ones will do that, so not a huge surprise. That leaves me with a question, what product would you guys recommend that is water-based? My hair is thick with a few curves in it, so I'll need a good hold. I want something that will work well with a hat also.

Thanks!

gamez32

One of the Regulars
I use Layrite superhold pomade. I also have thick hair and it works very well. It washes right out in the shower. It's expensive ($16 for 4oz), but it's worth it if you want something that holds like Murrays but is water soluble. I also use Suavecito strong hold. I like it, but it hardens to quickly so I'm not able to shape my hair like I am with Layrite. It is also slightly cheaper ($14 for 4oz).

Good luck

Last edited:

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
When I do use water based Layrite Superhold is my favorite. I also like Bonafide Superior Hold, it has a nice clean citrus scent and the hold is slightly less then the LSH, but is still a great product as well. Agreed Suavecito is cheaper but does harden very quickly.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
Welcome to posting Flyboy, if I were to use a water based product, it would be Layrite Superhold. Water based stuff just dosen't do it for me. The rats nest I call hair can only be tamed by Royal Crown and Wildroot cream oil for the shine. I hope you find something that works for you, and keep us posted.

TSP13

Familiar Face
Thanks guys, I'm going to give the layrite a try I think! I wish I could use regular pomade, it sucks having acne! :| I've just started growing my hair out and tinking with some older styles. It's quite fun!

Has anyone found this?

http://www.shinergold.com/product/shiner-gold-classic-pomade

I sort of get what you mean about the acne considering that I am sixteen... my acne isn't really all that bad though. Most of the time I just use loads of Groom and Clean, it provides lots of shine and helps get petroleaum out, and I will touch that up with petraoleum every once in awhile. It seems to work fairly well accept when I get my hair to short up the left side some of my hair will tend to stick out rather than stay slick.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
I really like Layrite Superhold although I've been going through a jar of Suavecito I got for Christmas when I comb my hair (motorcycle helmets aren't good for most hair styles). I concur that Layrite is much more flexible when it comes to restyling, and I prefer it to Suavecito. Using water soluble pomade really cuts down the acne problem.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been using American Crew Pomade for the last couple off weeks and I really like it. I compare it to Brylcreem on steroids. Leaves my hair pliable and shiny. It holds pretty well. Smells good too.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I used to use American Crew Pomade, but I stopped using it when I realized it had parabens in it. It worked well from what I remember.

I personally use Brylcreem. I find it very good. You can use a little or a lot. Both look good. Sadly, it doesn't have the best hold. I have wavy hair, and it stays wavy on the side.

I have heard Groom and Clean is good too, I never used it though. Supposedly, it has better hold than Brylcreem, and it can be washed out easier. A problem people complain about is that it has less shine than Brylcreem.

Whatever you use, do not use gel. I used gel, but it made my hair crusty, and it flaked all over.

Unrelated to this topic, but related to hair products, I have a question. How do you wash out hair products easily?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails