Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We need bigger caps

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
d5xu.jpg

Wiser Hatter, your cap reminds me of the left cap in this photo. I think its pretty close. :)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Johnny you mean the former King of England Edward. :) Both of the cap's are of the same type. As far as large I look at the amount of drape
the hat has above the ear's of the wearer. Both of the above cap;s crowns come out over the ears about one half of an inch.
I like how Edward has his cap cocked to the side.:)

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Referring to one of my newsboy linen caps (I´ve measured the one I´m wearing on my avatar picture) in size 59 the diameter is about 29 cm to 30 cm/ 11,5 inches.
It depends on how you measure because the caps are not totally circular as the pieces (2 back pieces, 2 side pieces, 4 front pieces) are of different shape.

Johnny J: Whats the diameter at on of your fine caps? ... and that linen caps looks awesome!

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I don't have that striped linen cap anymore; that's Ed's cap. Maybe he can measure it for us.
But going by a wool cap I have with similar pattern, I get: 12 in. length x 11 3/8 in. width (laying flat), in a size 7 3/8 or 59 cm. I think Ed's might be a little more.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Johnny mine measures 12" long by 11" wide.
Two types I like the top cap every time you post it. :)
The Russian cap that seam just breaks up the whole
Line visually of the cap. Never been a fan of this style of cap. An cocking a cap on your head is the way to go as your top cap shows up better in the pictures.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
The Search for the "Fat Cap" continues for a lot of us. Outside of the custom made stuff. I have found two somewhat generous caps lately: the Jonathan Richards County body seems to me to be a bit more generous. Nothing like what Edward and Hirohito are wearing though. Also, some random newsboy cap from Bailey of Hollywood that I acquired a year or two ago has a body so generous that you can slouch it to one side or the other. Maybe a manufacturing mistake? I have owned a lot of Bailey caps and this one seems more fluffy. No idea.

Anyway, I do wholeheartedly agree with the original proposition. We need bigger/more generous caps. Oh, by the way, we ARE willing to pay for them. (Rub money between fingers, just so the vendors/retailers/manufacturers know!)

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
About retronia: I didn't order because most of the caps have a very low percentage of wool and too much plastic.
Here are additional pictures from the seller that were posted in a german forum:

1156868.jpg

1156874.jpg

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The first green cap about is too bigh to be worn straight on the head like that. While the fabric is nice the drape is over the ears at least an inch on both sides of his head. The second one needs about an inch less drape on the front bill of the cap to get it looking great the side pannels look just fine. When the front of the crown is equal to the bill of the cap it is too much you need 1" of the bill sticking out pass the drape of the cap. Common problem with caps that have each of the pannels the same size.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Maybe pulling the cap down more on the back would adjust the front look, but on the sides IMO its hanging over a little too much. Or maybe if it was also pulled down more on the sides, to be right by the ears, would give a better look and less drape?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80