Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We need bigger caps

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I want the day of the big and floppy to return... they block the sun!

d5xu.jpg

Aaron Hats

Vendor
A couple manufacturers still make them today. They are commonly known as "Big Apple" caps. Basically a Newsboy with a lot more flop to them. I tried one on the last time my Hatco rep was here and I looked like I should've been in an old tv commercial flinging pizza dough in the air.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have one of the floppy 8-panel caps and it is great but Matt is right in that it is impossible to find a full-cut modern flat cap like the one seen in the picture.

All you can find are the really trim-cut Ivy style caps which I think look pretty bad on most people.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
That's a great picture. When was it taken? The big floppy cap looks good on some..with normal sized noggins. Those with nearly size 8 melons,well I can only speak for myself...I prefer a cap/hat that doesn't make my head look any bigger!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
8/4 caps

We carry a great floppy 8/4 cap by Johnathan Richards on our website . www.bencrafthats.com . It's probably the best cap on the market . An authentic "newsboy" cap . :cool2:
It's fully lined and has sizes small to a 2x .:cool2:

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
besdor said:
We carry a great floppy 8/4 cap by Johnathan Richards on our website . www.bencrafthats.com . It's probably the best cap on the market . An authentic "newsboy" cap . :cool2:

Does it say somewhere on the site what the L and XL sizes translate into? I normally wear a 7 1/2 and am not sure which size would fit.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
7 1/2 is usually right on the border between L and XL. I say go with the XL, because it's better to have it too loose and stuff something in than to have it too tight and get a headache.

DanielJones said:
Here's the one for thoes who are cranially blessed. This one should fit any 400 lb. gorilla.
http://www.villagehatshop.com/big_apple_cap.html
cappa-big-apple-main.jpg

It doesn't get much bigger than 12" in diameter.

Cheers!

Dan

Man, that looks like the kind of size we're after!! Does anyone own one of these monsters? How does the elasticated sweatband compare to a normal one???? Anyone have any other caps w/ elasticated sweatbands? Good find Mr. Jones!

I'd go for their linen one in the same size, though - kind of like the one PoW is wearing in the first pic. Even with the danger of ending up like this :p :

bk

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Custom made!!

B! Wear Cap Co, will make you a big apple or just tell Brett how you want it made. He has made me a Seabiscuit movie cap and it was dead on. He is making me one now with a 10.5 inch drape. Custom made cap with a roan leather sweat band for $30.00 how can you go wrong.

Matt , if you posted your brim width and length with the size of the drape he can easily make that cap for us.

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
I'd be interested in seeing Brett's attempt at a really big big apple. Matt, what does that cap you wore on Saturday at the QM measure across the top?

Canadave

One Too Many
besdor said:

What is XXL equivalent to?

Sefton said:
...Those with nearly size 8 melons,well I can only speak for myself...I prefer a cap/hat that doesn't make my head look any bigger!

Hey, a big hat makes your head look smaller, not bigger! :)

I had Brett do one with "extra drape" (for $5 more), and it's 12" across the top. I love it.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL