Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We walk the walk but do we talk the talk?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Those are all descriptions of various popular dance steps in the late thirties. The "Suzy Q," a kind of a fancy swiveling deal, was hot stuff with college kids around 1936. Mr. Miller reveals himself to be something of a mouldy figge to still be talking about it in 1938.
Lizzie, I got the gist of the lyrics, it's that part that says: "more spoken," that confuses me. It sounds like:
Cut you some wrist, and (???) too,
Tell me some more, my stuck egg mews? news?

My problem is that I suffer from psoriasis, and I get it in my ears, of all places. So I'm sure that which I hear, is not that, which is spoken. I would be grateful for a translation.

By the way, there's a couple that we know who teach Lindy, they found a dance video from The States, from a group calling themselves:
The Midwest LindyFest. They have come up with a dance version of: Doin' The Jive. We are all (about 40 of us) learning it. Should be good at one of the vintage festivals we all go to.

[video=youtube;e_65x30fyeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_65x30fyeM[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Cut you some riffs" means the band is playing you some hot embellishments while you dance. I can't make out the second part of that phrase either -- it sounds like "fuzzin' it too," but I don't think that's right.

"Stuck egg mews" should be "suck egg mule," which comes from an old Southern dialect expression of surprise: "Well , I'll be a suck-egg mule!" A suck-egg mule is a worthless good-for-nothing creature, but calling someone a suck-egg mule in this context would be just a humorous, kidding term of endearment.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My Husband always describes Men that are of value as, "Stand up guy". I have called a few fellows I have known as "real heel"! LOL! At times I also will say if I think some of my girls that I know are looking sharp, I say, "you look like a real doll"

...My theory of "dude" being used by the younger generation is this: The term was somewhat in vogue in the 60's but not like now...
I realize this post and subsequent discussion about the word "dude" is nearly seven years old but, with regards to it's modern usage, "dude" was first adopted by the surf culture in the early 1960s and was used in place of "guy" or "fella", i.e. "Hey dude," instead of "Hey fella...". It's usage spread in pop culture after it was heard in the movie Easy Rider (1969), in which Peter Fonda's character defined it by saying, "Dude means, uh, 'nice guy', dude means 'regular sort of person'."

Back to the main topic, I can think of two terms I use on a semi-regular basis:

Toots. Used as a term of endearment for my wife, i.e. "Hi Toots!" or "Hey, Toots?"

Pie Hole. As in, "Shut 'yer pie hole." I know the original term is "cake hole", which has been around since at least the early-40s, but "pie hole" rolls off of the tongue easier.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What's kinda troubling is these days even some young girls call each other 'Dude'. Ain't that something...
HD
The Americanism 'Guys' is much used these days throughout the English speaking world. Yet it's still not easy to accept it as a generic term, even though to Americans, it's more or less, genderless. Somehow guys for both genders just seems to be turning us all A-sexual.

I was called a "dude" a few days past, when I held a door open for some young idiot "dude" and his lady companion.
A couple days ago I heard this" Cool Hat Dude".
Naturally I just tip my fedora and move along.
Regards
CCJ

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
No, I don't talk the talk...at least not intentionally. I know some Golden Era slang still persists to this day. I use the phrase "treat like a stepchild" and thought it was modern slang until I saw a movie from 1929 named "Hallelujah" and one of the main characters said it. I was shocked to hear it. I also the slang "crib" used in an Edward G. Robinson 30s film and was shocked to hear it as that was a popular way to describe a home back in the 90s and it was used the same way in the movie.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The appropriate gender-ed term for females as far as "dude" is "dudette."

That is meant a little tongue in cheek.

But I'd much rather be called "dudette" than "guy. At least they would have a sense of humor.

The appropriate gender-ed term for females as far as "dude" is "dudette."

That is meant a little tongue in cheek.

But I'd much rather be called "dudette" than "guy. At least they would have a sense of humor.
"Dudette" may have been appropriate at one time but, since language is in a constant state of evolution, these days "dude" can be used to address a man or a woman.

Monsoon

A-List Customer
"Dudette" may have been appropriate at one time but, since language is in a constant state of evolution, these days "dude" can be used to address a man or a woman.

I read that "guys" can be used for a group of women, too.

My father is 83 and uses the term "sh*tting in high cotton" all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana